An Icon has Passed: Rest in Peace, Bill Walton

Our memories will not fade away
KEZHEAD

Re: An Icon has Passed: Rest in Peace, Bill Walton

Post by KEZHEAD » Tue May 28, 2024 12:24 am

I’ve had a day of great sadness today!
I’d like to share a pic of one of our family with Bill
IMG_0165.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dodging lions and a-wasting time
In memory of ChiefScott

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Tue May 28, 2024 1:14 am

:cry: Rest in peace Bill
I know my uncle he's as honest as me

MushroomMan

Post by MushroomMan » Tue May 28, 2024 6:44 am

RIP

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Tue May 28, 2024 11:16 am

Here is the famous BW picture at Folsom Field with our friend stranger nearby :sunshine :bigheart
bw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know my uncle he's as honest as me

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Tue May 28, 2024 12:57 pm

Denver Man wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 11:16 am
Here is the famous BW picture at Folsom Field with our friend stranger nearby :sunshine :bigheart

bw.jpg
I wonder if he heard about it being on Hiatus
JGB 6/30
Jazz is Dead 8/3
This Space is getting Hot
I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong
:smileys-passing-joint

Chuckster

Post by Chuckster » Tue May 28, 2024 3:00 pm

Like the countless others from all walks off life who were fortunate enough to meet and have an interaction with him--however brief or extended--and who have been sharing and relating across all the various media platforms over the past 24 hours their respective anecdotes and impression he left upon them, this one hits hard, this one affects on an emotional and spiritual level...Indeed, the world seems a little less full today... :bigheart

Anyone who was at Fare Thee Well in Chicago remembers the enormous scene around the venue location and inside the chain-link fence perimeter (that you needed a ticket just to enter in to but wasn't admission into the venue/show itself) that was set-up around the actual grounds and structure of Soldier Field.

Over the course of July 3rd, 4th, & 5th and once inside the perimeter fence, among the numerous once-in-a-lifetime special and miraculous happenings fans were treated to included seeing Natascha Münter nonchalantly buzzing around in her golf cart (& agreeing to pics with fans), David Gans rushing from one place to the next, and to no one's surprise, inarguably the most famous and the Red-Headed Deadhead himself, Bill Walton walking around and just "being" and a part of it all...

He couldn't have been more gracious and affable in granting a number of Heads and fans to take selfies with him, and as I stood there watching (and waiting my turn), I had second thoughts of asking/"bothering" him for yet another selfie and instead was beyond satisfied and infinitely grateful to shake his hand moments after taking the picture below.

I asked him what he thought of "the Scene" (the vibe, the happening, the experience of FTW), and in his incomparable effusiveness (and oft-imitated voice and delivery) his response was, "This...is AWESOME!"

Screenshot_20240528_123202_Gallery.jpg

For whatever unknown reasons I hadn't yet been a member of Terrapin Nation in 2015, but I'd like to believe that had I been--and if I may be granted such an indulgence here--there would've been a pic from Fare Thee Well of Bill Walton with the Terrapin Nation flag :crossed 8-) ;) :P :D

Taking a walk during Golden Hour of late afternoon yesterday, there was an obvious sense that Summer had arrived, of nature being in or nearing full bloom and splendor, and was fortunate enough to catch prolonged glimpses of the sun casting its spiltering rays through the gently swaying overhead branches of a grove of oak trees.

What called upon my spirit in reflecting in that moment about the passing of Bill Walton was the opening and closing riff of mid-70s era (& 3/29/90 w/Branford) "Eyes of The World", and also the later-day triple-chord crescendo musical signature Dead & Co has added as a highlight to the solos/jams between the 2nd and 3rd verses of their performance of the song. It is with this positive musical force and energy upon my heart, mind and spirit that I wish to celebrate and remember the indomitable spirit of Bill Walton (may we all wake up to find out that we are the eyes of the world...) and the impression he left upon this plane of existence:

"Throw It Down, Big Man!", and "May the Four Winds Roll You Safely Home"...✌️💛🙏

:listen
...Same old, rat in a drain ditch...

AmandaS45

Post by AmandaS45 » Tue May 28, 2024 4:31 pm

Stopping in quickly, i loved how Bill never once complained about Mayer not being Jerry or anything like that with DeadCo. He just went to the shows and danced and enjoyed himself and had a good time. He loved and lived life to the fullest. R.i .p. Bill.
Well I was noticing the other night, for instance, that when I'm going through pistachios, opening pistachios, that the hard to open ones, I don't bother with them anymore

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed May 29, 2024 11:28 am

This is a recording my friend Darin made to a local (Philly) radio station after Bill W's passing, he was a really cool guy! A few of us met him in 1992 after a speaking engagement, had a few drinks at his hotel lobby.

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/mess ... gqySLMy1pE
Smell Every Flower

Jrbhowe

Post by Jrbhowe » Wed May 29, 2024 10:01 pm

I interviewed Bill when I was a kid and, in retrospect, he was a kid too. He was *very* famous and I was a kid on a college newspaper and I don't know how he could have been more gracious and enlivening.

RIP, Bill.

I don't know exactly why, but I keep thinking
Dead and Company should open their show Thursday with "Morning Dew."

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Thu May 30, 2024 9:29 am

There was no one more fun to watch while broadcasting than Bill! :bigheart