Your favorite AUDs?

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Your favorite AUDs?

Post by patchthenation » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:18 pm

I know we have been pretty blessed in the past decade, with more official releases than ever before and a treasure trove of soundboards on Archive. But a lot of Heads still seek the top-notch AUD copies of their favorite shows. Hell, even Charlie Miller remasters AUD copies instead of solely boards.

What are your favorite audience tapes to check out, for those who aren't that well acquainted? Could just be sentimental value because you ran it ragged in your Jeep cassette player all of 1984, or maybe it was the most crispy AUD tape you can remember. I'm always intrigued by stories too! :rockon :listen

Can't guarantee everyone's favorite aud copy will be on Archive, but I will do my best to post some links from your suggestions!

:smileys-passing-joint

bones

Re: Your favorite AUDs?

Post by bones » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:14 pm

nice thread patch :idea:

i enjoy the stories in the archive.org of these shows as well

Going back to days of cassettes 2 shows came to mind,,,1 i saw, 1 didnt but played the hell out of that tape with the purple song list

1/22/78 McArthur Court University of Oregon, Eugene...this was the Close Encounters Jam show & became Daves Picks 23

you can just hear that eeriness of the close encounters jam > st stephen...pacific northwest wookiness at its finest :mrgreen:

(((https://archive.org/details/gd78-01-22. ... sbeok.shnf)))

Minglewood Blues, Dire Wolf, Cassidy, Peggy-O, El Paso, Tennessee Jed, Jack Straw, Row Jimmy, The Music Never Stopped

Bertha-> Good Lovin', Ship of Fools, Samson & Delilah, Terrapin Station-> Drums-> The Other One-> Close Encounters-> Saint Stephen-> Not Fade Away-> Around & Around,

E: U.S. Blues

the 2nd one i was there...very long show...stretched to 3 cassettes & the dead were the 3rd band that day after Roy Buchanan, then Cate Brothers & Levon Helm :shock:

such a crisp clean clear indian summer / early fall day on the opposite coast in Maine

i think all there is an audience of Lewiston ME 9/6/80

(((https://archive.org/details/gd1980-09-0 ... eok.flac24)))

Set 1 - 14 songs...and we get excited when deadco plays an 8 song 1st set :shock:

Alabama Getaway ->
Greatest Story Ever Told
Sugaree
Me And My Uncle ->
Mexicali Blues
Tennessee Jed
Feel Like A Stranger
Friend Of The Devil
Far From Me ->
Little Red Rooster
China Cat Sunflower ->
I Know You Rider ->
The Promised Land

Set 2 - YES ALL THOSE -> ARE FOR REAL...IT WAS NON STOP FROM PLAYIN THRU SUGAR MAG / SSDD

Shakedown Street
Lost Sailor ->
Saint Of Circumstance
Althea
Playing In The Band ->
Uncle John's Band ->
Space ->
Drums ->
Space ->
Not Fade Away ->
The Wheel ->
Uncle John's Band ->
Playing In The Band ->
Sugar Magnolia

Encore
One More Saturday Night ->
Brokedown Palace
Last edited by bones on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

11/7 Last Waltz - NH
11/16 DSO Lowell
11/23 DSO Concord NH
11/30 Phish RI
12/27 Grateful Ball Peterborough
12/28 Grateful Ball Plymouth
1/25 Ghost Light & GSBG
2/7 RRE Boston

Griff

Post by Griff » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:39 pm

LOVE this thread. Listening to Bones 9/6/80. Smokin'. Here is great Matrix:

And yes, the Close Encounters show and AUD tape were legendary in the PNW. We all had it. It was coveted. It was crispy. It was awesome.

So I have two from 1981 for y'all to check out:

3/10/81 MSG the AUD is AMAZING:

Listen to Jerry at the end of FOTM, he absolutely GOES OFF. Damn he was so fucking good and boy do I miss that shit!!!!!

Here is a really nice Matrix:

9/12/81 Greek Theater. The Greek was also universally known for producing amazing AUD tapes. It all started with these 1981 shows.

YOU HAVE to LISTEN to CC RIDER. Both Bob and Jerry TOTALLY go off and AUD just screams the whole way. Was just 15 and missed these. 83 and on I was there.

Peace!!!!

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Here's a pretty tasty one I came across today. Sounds like you're right there! Another non-stop > second set! Can't go wrong with Dupree's, Might as Well, and a double Jerry encore! Especially when one is a Dylan tune :listen 6/15/85 at the Greek:

I: Touch Of Grey, Minglewood Blues, Friend Of The Devil, Cassidy > Dupree's Diamond Blues, Me & My Uncle > Big River > Might As Well
II: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Terrapin Station > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Gimme Some Lovin' > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away, E: She Belongs To Me, U.S. Blues

philobomb

Post by philobomb » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 pm

5/25/74 Jeremy Witt Audience Recording. Wonderful sound with great separation. Vocals sound f’n awesome, a lot of people didn’t like the sound those WOS vocal mics gave but I think they sound awesome! Like a crackly 50s am radio broadcaster cutting in and out. Fun fact too, apparently the dudes buried the tape deck day before the show to get it in. Lol! Killer everything, but the China>Rider’ll singe your eyebrows.

9/7/85 Red Rocks, Oade brothers. killer show. Weird as hell opening..

4/23/77 Dave Weider Aud. One of my fave first sets. Just straight energy burned onto cassette. Early Scarlet/Fire and Estimated that are just fantastic. Very good Cassidy, sugaree and It’s all Over Now (I know but listen to that solo!!) not even getting into the second set, that’s a beast of its own.

Just ones I’ve been digging recently! Love me a good tasty Aud! I’ll be checking out the ones in listed thus far for sure!

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:11 pm

The Jerry Garcia Band shows in Feb 1980 have some of the best aud recordings I've ever heard.

Generally I prefer matrix recordings to sbds. Hunter Seamons are top notch
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

terrapinjoel

Post by terrapinjoel » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:23 am

Man o man the raw crowd energy of the legendary Richmond 85 deadsets!!! You gotta listen to the audience tapes. The Phil gimmi some loving. Wow.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:11 pm

philobomb wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 pm
5/25/74 Jeremy Witt Audience Recording. Wonderful sound with great separation. Vocals sound f’n awesome, a lot of people didn’t like the sound those WOS vocal mics gave but I think they sound awesome! Like a crackly 50s am radio broadcaster cutting in and out. Fun fact too, apparently the dudes buried the tape deck day before the show to get it in. Lol! Killer everything, but the China>Rider’ll singe your eyebrows.
Witt also has a lengthy and interesting story along with this show: https://archive.org/details/gd1974-05-2 ... 301.flac16
philobomb wrote:
9/7/85 Red Rocks, Oade brothers. killer show. Weird as hell opening..
https://archive.org/details/gd1985-09-0 ... eok.flac16
philobomb wrote:
4/23/77 Dave Weider Aud. One of my fave first sets. Just straight energy burned onto cassette. Early Scarlet/Fire and Estimated that are just fantastic. Very good Cassidy, sugaree and It’s all Over Now (I know but listen to that solo!!) not even getting into the second set, that’s a beast of its own.
Charlie Miller remastered this one: https://archive.org/details/gd1977-04-2 ... r.flac1644
terrapinjoel wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:23 am
Man o man the raw crowd energy of the legendary Richmond 85 deadsets!!! You gotta listen to the audience tapes. The Phil gimmi some loving. Wow.
11/1/85:

https://archive.org/details/gd85-11-01. ... beok.shnf

11/2/85:

https://archive.org/details/gd85-11-02. ... sbeok.shnf

Nycdave

Post by Nycdave » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:19 pm

One (of many) personal favorites :dance

The Spectrum Philadelphia, Pa: 1979-11-05

Set 1: China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Cassidy, Friend Of The Devil,
El Paso, Stagger Lee, Passenger, Peggy-O, The Music Never Stopped

Set 2: Althea, Easy To Love You, Eyes Of The World-> Estimated Prophet-> Franklin's Tower->
Rhythm Devils-> Lost Sailor-> Saint Of Circumstance-> Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Casey Jones