11-10-79

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
DrippingColors

11-10-79

Post by DrippingColors » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:52 pm

My first show was forty years ago this past week. I only knew a couple songs, but I was a freshman in college and two of my new friends were deadheads. The band was coming to the University so I didn't have to travel, but, for the first and last time, I camped overnight in line for tickets. Now I doubt the show even sold out, but these guys were getting there early for good tickets so I joined them (we ended up with floor seats). I didn't know what to make of the bizarre characters huddled on the cold concrete of Crysler Arena that night. There was this really active guy walking around with a clipboard taking names and announcing roll calls. The idea was to give people time to take breaks, go to class etc. without losing their place. Other folks were not of a familiar stripe. They seemed too old to be students, but didn't look like people you would come across everyday. There was lots of beer and weed so I was happy.

I just looked at the setlist and it was 22 songs which is more than I ever remember hearing in the hundred or so shows after that. I can't say for sure if I was having that great of a time or not. It was also the second or third time I ever did psychedelics so I can't remember much of what I was thinking. Then they played Terrapin. I had gotten the album a couple weeks before and played it at least once a day. It was otherworldly. Though not much else registered from that night and I wouldn't see them again for a year and a half, something stirred in me that night. I would soon discover bootleg tapes and lure of the road. There always seemed to be a new part of the Dead to discover, a different genre of music they would borrow from, or individual stories of band members and fans that amazed and intrigued.

Not sure how many things have been in my life for forty years. My siblings. Baseball and football. And the Dead.

Happy Anniversary to me.
Last edited by DrippingColors on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

KC.Jones

Re: 11-10-79

Post by KC.Jones » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:19 pm

That's awesome. I wish I could've seen them during that time period. Hell, I wish I could've seen them at all!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:46 pm

DrippingColors wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:52 pm
My first show was forty years ago this past week. I only knew a couple songs, but I was a freshman in college and two of my new friends were deadheads.
I too was a freshman in college. 94’. I sat outside the window of my buddies classroom and kept yelling his name from behind a tree...until the professor shamed him into leaving the classroom. 1/4 tank of gas, half an 1/8 and $32 later and the two of us were in.

Very first thing that struck me and burnt a lifelong impression on my brain...
The Hallway Spinners. Serious business

Man...what memories

Happy Anniversary!

Bring back your tales from the road, I always enjoyed reading those 🥃
‘Yeah, there were drugs in our history, but that certainly wasn’t what we were about. But for some people, that is what we were about. I think those folks pretty much missed what we were about’

2-73

Post by 2-73 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Grate story....move the timeline back 6 years to Feb 73, & your story is a mirror my 1st show. Freshman year, Univ of Illinois.
2 nights back to back.
...left a smoking crater of my mind....

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Wow wicked brain freeze...I was a junior in college.

Had tickets the summer before to Highgate and the year before at the Garden and blew em both off for a girl

REAL SMART

TBH, probably a good thing. Chances are I would of went on tour and never finished college. It was all or nothing back then

Didn’t mean to highjack your thread...would love to hear stories of that 79’ tour. Of both Kieth and Brent
‘Yeah, there were drugs in our history, but that certainly wasn’t what we were about. But for some people, that is what we were about. I think those folks pretty much missed what we were about’

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:12 pm

2-73 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 pm
Grate story....move the timeline back 6 years to Feb 73, & your story is a mirror my 1st show. Freshman year, Univ of Illinois.
2 nights back to back.
That’s incredible you saw them in 73’. Probably my fav year. So much energy. You must daydream about those years. Man

Nycdave

Post by Nycdave » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:57 pm

While not being at this show, I was fortunate to get a high quality soundboard tape (remember those?) of it, way back when. Between Samson & Terrapin Bob tells my absolute favorite Bob joke. It’s way better when Bob tells it, but here goes: “What’s the difference between a duck? & the answer is: One legs both the same.” To which the Rhythm Devils respond with a quick drumroll. Then someone (perhaps Mickey) says: “Tell them a better one Bob.”
Classic Bob humor.

2-73

Post by 2-73 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:00 pm

Boxorain wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:12 pm
2-73 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 pm
2 nights back to back.
That’s incredible you saw them in 73’. Probably my fav year. So much energy. You must daydream about those years. Man
Yea, hard to beat '73 shows.
It set the bar real high.

bones

Post by bones » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 pm

I too don't remember tons about my 1st show in may 79 billerica ma

Shakedown street was out...terrapin still fresh

I remember my 2nd show 9/6/80 lewiston me much more

Few jgb shows in between
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

11/7 Last Waltz - NH
11/16 DSO Lowell
11/23 DSO Concord NH
11/30 Phish RI
12/27 Grateful Ball Peterborough
12/28 Grateful Ball Plymouth
1/25 Ghost Light & GSBG
2/7 RRE Boston

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:39 pm

1979 is weird because I saw them with two different lineups. January was Utica NY with Keith and Donna and then May was UMass with Brent so it was a transitional year of change for me.
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT