Althea - Best One.......EVER

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
Griff

Althea - Best One.......EVER

Post by Griff » Wed May 15, 2019 1:34 am

Ok, let's have a spirited discussion. My favorite Althea was my 2nd show in 1982 at the Veneta County Fairgrounds in Oregon at the 10th Anniversary. It was an amazing trip. Literally. 16.....young and dumb. With my 18 y/o gf who I still date to this day (after not seeing each other for 35 years).

That is the soundboard. We got these about a month after the show. So it helped to reinforce my love of this version, having amazingly crispy soundboard tapes.

But listen. Jerry just goes off and hit every transition. Bobby rocks the slide.

Show me a better one.......and why :doh

KC.Jones

Re: Althea - Best One.......EVER

Post by KC.Jones » Wed May 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Smokin! The China Rider is fantastic as well.
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Wed May 15, 2019 2:09 pm

Alpine 89 Althea. I don't really know if it's the best version EVER, but it's gotta be up there. I fucking love Jerry and Brent's tone from this era, and Bobby is KILLING IT (as always).

The best Althea I've probably ever caught is Fall '17 Columbus. Mayer always takes this song to the next level, with it being the song that got him into the Dead. Anytime I get catch the opening chords to a D&C version, I tell my neighbors to buckle their seat belts cuz we're about to go for a crazy ride. I've seen probably four or five Althea's from them, and I remember this night being a particularly good night for the band.

You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

Griff

Post by Griff » Thu May 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks KC. Yep that 89 version is a good one too. To me it’s all about the groove. Sometimes it’s off and the song warbles. But when they hit it the music just grooves.

D&Co do it good no doubt. The Boulder one the last night of the Summer tour 2018 was a good one too.

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Thu May 16, 2019 9:28 pm

I’ve been thinking...I love the RatDog versions and early 80’s GD but will report back soon
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

DeadDuck

Post by DeadDuck » Fri May 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Griff wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:34 am
Ok, let's have a spirited discussion. My favorite Althea was my 2nd show in 1982 at the Veneta County Fairgrounds in Oregon at the 10th Anniversary.
Speaking of the Oregon Country Fair, Phil is playing the 50th Anniversary of the Fair in July. Anyone who is unfamiliar with the OCF, do a little internet digging. It's an amazing place experience and having Phil play is going to be magical.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri May 17, 2019 7:28 pm

DeadDuck wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:34 pm
Griff wrote:
Ok, let's have a spirited discussion. My favorite Althea was my 2nd show in 1982 at the Veneta County Fairgrounds in Oregon at the 10th Anniversary.
Speaking of the Oregon Country Fair, Phil is playing the 50th Anniversary of the Fair in July. Anyone who is unfamiliar with the OCF, do a little internet digging. It's an amazing place experience and having Phil play is going to be magical.
Phil tripped HARD at the OCF !! :jester :shock: :lol: :ugeek:
Smell Every Flower

Griff

Post by Griff » Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 am

DeadDuck wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:34 pm
Griff wrote:
WHA??????? Seriously. I did not hear about that. Thanks!!! Oh that is a given I am going.

And below is 8-28-1982. I am there in the crowd. In front of Jerry.
th[8].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.