Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Re: Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

Post by patchthenation » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:41 pm

Happy 4/20!! :leafsmile get down to Providence 4/20/83 with a nice fatty :smokesmile

:smileys-passing-joint
We will get by, we will survive!

Tone Weaver

Post by Tone Weaver » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:12 am

Belated review of the Dusseldorf Dark Star on April 24, 1972:

On April 24, 1972, Dark Star finally reached Germany for it’s first of three visits on the tour. It would be the longest venture so far, coming in at 40 minutes and 40 seconds, wrapped around an intermezzo appearance of Me And My Uncle.

I have only two sentences to convey my impressions of this longer version, one for each section.

It takes off with a vibrant swirling space-jazz with a softer-edged Other One dimension, slowly building tension with a florid piano embellishment, settling into the opening theme and first verse, before pouring its light back into a feedback-drenched rumbling Phil Zone that evolves into a brisk and energetic intensity of simultaneous group expansion into a gravity-defying maelstrom that returns to an earthbound respite with Me and My Uncle.

After high tailing it down to Mexico, it’s back to a warp speed tour of the solar system, eventually circling back in a descending orbit of the planet, taking us way down, down, down by the docks of the city.

Part One:

Part Two:

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:24 pm

It's been nice to listen to a year I don't hear often. Happy 40th to 4/26/83 at the Philly Spectrum (Dave's Picks 39). Fantastic Shakedown opener and keeps the heat goin from there!

P.S. There's a Women Are Smarter in this second set. Did you know Harry Belafonte recorded it? RIP.

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:19 am

patchthenation wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:24 pm
It's been nice to listen to a year I don't hear often. Happy 40th to 4/26/83 at the Philly Spectrum (Dave's Picks 39). Fantastic Shakedown opener and keeps the heat goin from there!

P.S. There's a Women Are Smarter in this second set. Did you know Harry Belafonte recorded it? RIP.
Indeed I did, but a great trivia question as it were. One of the better '83 shows in my books. Pretty nifty first set. Outstanding work as usual laddy. :beer_cheer
Crick Wooder, 3/2; Boulder
The Good Kind, 3/15; Boulder
Eggy, 4/12; Boulder
Peak2Peak, 4/13; Boulder
Start Making Sense (TH), 5/4; Boulder
Peak2Peak, 5/17; Boulder
BCF, 5/24-27; Boulder

...March winds will blow all my troubles away

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:51 pm

"The triumphant return of Bob Weir." IYKYK. Furthur 4/27/13 at the Atlantic City Boardwalk was 10 years ago tonight:

Now that I've listened to the first set and look ahead to set 2, not a lot of Bob songs. Phil and John K handled most of the lead vocals. Interesting. This was the spring tour closer.

Tone Weaver

Post by Tone Weaver » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:27 pm

On April 29, 1972, a lucky Hamburg Germany audience would encounter their fantastic experience of a Dark Star.
It took off with a gentle launch into a breezy space jam that was soon transformed by Phil’s trademark descending baseline from D, through major chords A and G , back to A and D. (Da, da, dada, dada. You’ll know it when you hear it).
The band congealed around the rocking feel for as long as it took Keith to add some mojo.
His piano keys would roll and splash like waves over Jerry, Phil and Bobby’s cosmic whirlpool of vibrating electric strings.
This would settle into the first verse vocals at 14 minutes and 15 seconds.
As the lyrics receded through the transitive nightfall of diamonds, the band took a tour through a jazzy fusion jam.
Once more they floated into deep space, to ultimately ride winding and cascading melodic lines to the transition into Sugar Magnolia.

https://youtu.be/SUos3F69Xzk?list=PLLDk ... l0-zn7GMQD

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:41 pm

Tone Weaver

Post by Tone Weaver » Thu May 04, 2023 12:02 am

On May 4th, 1972, the Grateful Dead played their first complete Dark Star of their Europe ’72 tour. Until then, Jerry would sing only the first verse and continue into the deep void.

The uninterrupted 39:30 length of the Paris Dark Star was apparently just enough to deliver the whole package. And it was a great one.

They began with their usual easy space groove jam that would build into an expanded jazz fusion style phase.

After twelve minutes Jerry sang the first verse. (Don’t you just love a 12-minute intro?)

Immediately after the verse Phil's Alembic modded bass blasted open the space/time sound barrier, into an open expanse of galactic spirals of music.

Phil would summon intense storm clouds of pulsing Pheedback that must have vibrated in the bones of every French music fan who was curious and brave enough to enter the Olympia Theatre that evening.

The sonic vibrations would dissipate when Billy played a solo that temporarily grounded the audience from the exploding supernova.

Jerry, Bobby, and Phil then settled down to a quite open space of gentle atmospheric explorations, inevitably growing into another intense space fusion that featured some of Jerry’s most fantastic jazz improv. A dazzling array of a twinkling nightfall of diamonds.

Phil would move in and insert his patented descending bass line to kick the band back into a rocking mode that swelled and flowed back to earth, dissolving easily into the theme that set up the second verse.

Wow. What a trip! May the Fourth be with you!

This IS a Dark Star for the ages, especially if you like to have BOTH verses in it.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Fri May 05, 2023 8:50 am

Wow is this the most clear and complete live Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion??? I believe so! And going right into New Potato Caboose = *chef’s kiss* Happy Cinco de Mayo! 5/5/67 at the Fillmore:

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Sat May 06, 2023 3:38 pm

About to fire up the 5/6/81 show from nausea, um, Nassau. A heartfelt "He's Gone" for a Bobby Sands dedication. Pretty stellar show in general.
Crick Wooder, 3/2; Boulder
The Good Kind, 3/15; Boulder
Eggy, 4/12; Boulder
Peak2Peak, 4/13; Boulder
Start Making Sense (TH), 5/4; Boulder
Peak2Peak, 5/17; Boulder
BCF, 5/24-27; Boulder

...March winds will blow all my troubles away