Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Re: Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

Post by patchthenation » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:04 pm

30th trip round the [tape] deck for 8/26/93 at Shoreline. There’s some enjoyment to be had :listen

We will get by, we will survive!

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:31 am

Happy 51st to Veneta!!
patchthenation wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:45 am
Finally! With 15 min left in the day on the west coast, happy anniversary to the 8/27/72 Veneta show! Tonight's Shakedown Stream featured the show on its anniversary:

Anniversary merch: https://online-ceramics.com/

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:43 pm

Not an "on this day" show, however in honor of the late James Casey, enjoy his birthday show with Phil and Friends on 2/4/23 in Denver. RIP
:bigheart :grouphug
Phil Lesh and Friends
Mission Ballroom
Denver, CO
Februrary 4, 2023

I heard news today of the tragic passing of James Casey and wanted to upload this show as a small tribute to a fantastic musician and beautiful person. This performance took place on James' 40th birthday, and featured plenty of his amazing saxophone and vocal contributions. RIP James, we love you.

I: Dark Star > Ripple, Ship of Fools > Jack Straw, Pride of Cucamonga, China Cat Sunflower > New Speedway Boogie, Long Time Gone
II: Viola Lee Blues > I Know You Rider, Unbroken Chain > Tamalpais High > Wharf Rat > Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Franklin's Tower
E: Donor Rap > Happy Birthday James Casey > Box of Rain

Personnel
Phil Lesh - Bass, vocals / Grahame Lesh - Guitar, vocals / Rick Mitarotonda - Guitar, vocals / John Molo - Drums / Jason Crosby - Keyboards / Natalie Cressman - Trombone, vocals / Jennifer Hartswick - Trumpet, vocals / James Casey - Saxophone, vocals

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:11 pm

This is a fantastic Althea! From Philly Spectrum 8/30/80:

And this Keith and Donna show (including a hot horn section and Jerry as well) from 8/30/75 in SF is pretty dang good. Check out Train to Cry featuring JG, Can’t Turn You Loose by Keith and Donna, her belting out Strange Man, and JG’s Tough Mama. Billy K’s on drums and Matt Kelley is on harmonica too!

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:58 pm

Slap me silly for not posting this a few days ago. Scher with a classic intro to the band, The Other Ones, sets off a heater: 8/25/00 at Shoreline. This incarnation of TOO is comprised of Bob, Mickey, Billy, Bruce, Alphonso Johnson, Mark Karan, and Steve Kimock. Capped off with a dreamy Banyan Tree (some good shots of Bob not taking himself seriously) and funky China Cat, this show features Bonnie Raitt along the way.

Jam > Playin in the Band > She Belongs to Me@ > Playin Jam > Jack Straw, West L.A. Fadeaway*, Baba Jingo, Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Preacher in the Ring, Cassidy, Rainbow's Cadillac*, St. Stephen > The Eleven > Drumz > Banyan Tree > Playin Reprise, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider
E: Black Muddy River*
*- with Bonnie Raitt
(Furthur 2000; Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers and The Flying Other Brothers Band opened)

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:01 pm

Happy 45th to the first Shakedown! 8/31/78 at Red Rocks also features the debut of Heart of Me, Donna’s second solo tune with the band.

And now my old buddy, the Dead is coming for you. Jerry plays strong and fast as Samson in action on Samson, Playin and NFA. And that's just the beginning of the plain facts, Jack.

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:41 pm

patchthenation wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:58 pm
Slap me silly for not posting this a few days ago. Scher with a classic intro to the band, The Other Ones, sets off a heater: 8/25/00 at Shoreline. This incarnation of TOO is comprised of Bob, Mickey, Billy, Bruce, Alphonso Johnson, Mark Karan, and Steve Kimock. Capped off with a dreamy Banyan Tree (some good shots of Bob not taking himself seriously) and funky China Cat, this show features Bonnie Raitt along the way.

Jam > Playin in the Band > She Belongs to Me@ > Playin Jam > Jack Straw, West L.A. Fadeaway*, Baba Jingo, Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Preacher in the Ring, Cassidy, Rainbow's Cadillac*, St. Stephen > The Eleven > Drumz > Banyan Tree > Playin Reprise, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider
E: Black Muddy River*
*- with Bonnie Raitt
(Furthur 2000; Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers and The Flying Other Brothers Band opened)
Consider yourself slapped.
Peak2Peak, 6/15; Longmont
WSP, 6/22; RR
The Good Kind; 6/28; Boulder
Peak2Peak,6/29; Boulder
DSO,7/5; Denver
DSO, 7/6; Boulder
Steely Dead, Jer's b-day bash, 8/1; Boulder

...They call it paradise, I don't know why

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:46 am

9/2/1978 Giants Stadium
The Scarlet>Fire
As we used to say, it’s all about the Transition
Bobby sets the Table and Jerry comes to Feast
Billy drumming in an arm cast
They announce the Cario shows
Dick's favorite Scarlet >Fire
Jimmy Hoffa buried in the Lot
:colorwave
JGB 6/30
Jazz is Dead 8/3
This Space is getting Hot
:smileys-passing-joint

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:32 pm

dr bakes wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:46 am
9/2/1978 Giants Stadium
The Scarlet>Fire
As we used to say, it’s all about the Transition
Bobby sets the Table and Jerry comes to Feast
Billy drumming in an arm cast
They announce the Cario shows
Dick's favorite Scarlet >Fire
Jimmy Hoffa buried in the Lot
:colorwave

Also highlighting a smokin Dew from Rochester 9/2/80:

dr bakes wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:33 pm
9/2/80 was the craziest twisted night for myself and gf who was attending Syracuse. We took the bus to Rochester and realized there was no bus after the show till morning. Without going into too much detail, let's say there was one particular paper that EVERYONE was doing which produced a type of group mind think that expoded after Drumz. First a standard space develops into an amazing improvised melody then they make everyone happy with the rarely played Iko and then BAM the Dew hits everybody like a Cat5 hurricane, i was nearly knocked off my feet. I had an experience that i will not go into here, but we walked out and immediately got a ride in a van to Syracuse, major eyelid movies on the ride home, we stayed up all night.
Furthur, BEW is GRATE in Boise 9/2/83:

patchthenation wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:32 am
I like the lick Jerry plays throughout the beginning of Big RR Blues 9/2/83. I also love the LLR > Deal, Estimated through the jam before drums. A+

ESPECIALLY love Bob during a lot of the show, but highlights to me are LLR, Eyes, and the jam that follows...and WHAT IS THAT IN DRUMS? :listen This sounds so good, it's like you're on stage! WOW! :shock: :smileys-passing-joint
Also sounds like Bob is developing a song from the start of space and throughout. Also maybe a little Heaven Help jam?!
Love what Bob is putting down around 4-6 min on Slipknot from Boise too:

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:47 pm

I humbly encourage you to check out a smoker from 35 years ago today, Cap Centre 9/3/88. Highlights include Healy's chipmunk work on Bob's vox during a hot Big River, which nearly sounded like Mexicali at the start. Chipmunk vox affect Box and Victim as well. Love the last few minutes of the Bird Song jam and how it (literally) rolls into the chorus reprise. This is the final performance of Ripple- first time by GD since Amsterdam 10/16/81 and the first time electric since Fillmore East 4/29/71. Aside from those stats, it was a fulfilled Make-A-Wish request.