Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Re: Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

Post by patchthenation » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:59 am

Trivia time, what song premiered on this date 50 years ago and got shelved for two years? At the Cow Palace 3/23/74, Scarlet and Cassidy made their debut. Cassidy was dropped from rotation till the band started their summer tour in Portland two years later, 6/3/76. "No love for Cassidy," my dad says. This is also the debut of the Wall of Sound, complete with the final Playin > UJB > Dew > UJB > Playin (out of three). Cow Palace would not host the Grateful Dead again until New Year's 76.

I can't wait for the next edition of the Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast :listen

We will get by, we will survive!

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:26 am

patchthenation wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 pm
A few days before this year’s Palm Sunday, enjoy JGB in Pittsburgh from 3/19/78, containing the last known version of the song Palm Sunday by the band.

Mountains so red
JRAD
JMF
JGB
This Darkness got to give

:smileys-passing-joint

Chuckster

Post by Chuckster » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:40 pm

...Check out my post in the Palm Sunday thread started by Jack O. Hartz, for a remembrance of a Palm Sunday show on this day, March 24, in 1991 at the Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY).

:listen
...Same old, rat in a drain ditch...

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:51 pm

Chuckster wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:40 pm
...Check out my post in the Palm Sunday thread started by Jack O. Hartz, for a remembrance of a Palm Sunday show on this day, March 24, in 1991 at the Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY).

For posterity, and because who knows when that thread will be buried over time:
Chuckster wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:19 pm
...And in a bit of a cross-over with "On This Day in GD Land", we turn back 33 years to March 24, 1991, which just so happened to be Palm Sunday as well, and the good ol' Knickerbocker Arena in Albany, NY, where for the 2nd year in a row (following their debut triumvirate of performances at the newly opened venue in March 1990) Jerry and the boys were making another 3-show run as part of their Spring Tour at what became one of their favorite--and most welcoming to Deadheads and all the trappings of the accompanying "Scene"--East Coast venues during the final years. (Note they would go on to play "the Knick" for 2 Summer Tour shows in 1992, 3 Spring Tour shows in 1994, and 2 final shows on the beleaguered and bedeviled fateful 1995 Summer Tour :bigheart ).

Here on night 2 of 3 and for a Palm Sunday Show, the band's offering was two phatty Sets with a perhaps Double-obligatory "Samson & Delilah" to open up the 2nd Set, followed by "China Cat Sunflower" :arrow: "I Know You Rider", with the respective lyrics of lament ("...gonna miss me when I'm gone..."), and the seasonally appropriate lyric of cleansing, hope, renewal, and (again perhaps suggestive of) redemption, "..March winds gonna blow-woh-oh all my troubles away...".

Next up is a most impassioned rendition of "Looks Like Rain" (I still recall the vision of Bob, full-on embodying the song's main character, imploring---with both hands gripping his mic stand and conveying one of the religious day's emotional symbols of suffering--the rain he'd seen all his life to go away!...into "He's Gone" (a Palm Sunday ode to ???... :think )

A coupling of "The Wheel" ("...Small wheel turn by the fire and rod; Big Wheel turns by the Grace of God...") :arrow: "I Need A Miracle" is birthed out of Drums/Space and keeps the thematic thread of the 2nd Set going...

At the risk of reaching too far I'll stop short of declaring any explicit or literal connection of "Standing On The Moon" with "Nearer, My God, to Thee", although to contemplate the Christian hymn's allegorical retelling of Jacob's dream (in flight from his brother Esau, but that's an explication for another time, lol) in which a rising ladder connects Earth up to the Heavens (for angels to both ascend and descend) and the SOTM lyrics, "...a lovely view of Heaven, (but) I'd rather be with you..." makes for fascinating contemplation/meditation...

If the ultimate message of Jesus indeed was (for us) to love one another, then it would seem the c'mon everybody get up and dance "Good Lovin'" set closer was, at the very least, suggestive of such a notion.

Of course in a perfect (non-secular) world, "...And I Bid You Goodnight" would've been the ultimate capstone encore on this night, and furthermore would have supported the dual and complimentary notions of thematic consciousness and conceptual continuity by the band, but as we are all aware, the Grateful Dead merely occupy the "just exactly perfect" space in a secular world, so here we get "U.S. Blues" instead (and so much for separation of Church and State :lol:), and sending/casting the throngs of Jerry's followers out of the Knickerbocker garden and back onto Pearl Street and the surrounding late winter chilly environs (I'm pretty sure it didn't make it much past 40 degrees that day) of upstate New York's capital city...

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:49 am

I started this show expecting an Alabama Getaway opener; when Walking the Dog started I was pleasantly surprised and confused! :think :thumbsup :dance trippin back 40 years to 3/29/84 in Marin :listen This is the second show of '84, and the first Rex Foundation benefit run. (First Walking the Dog since 1970!)

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:25 am

patchthenation wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:51 pm
Chuckster wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:40 pm

For posterity, and because who knows when that thread will be buried over time:
Chuckster wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:19 pm
...And in a bit of a cross-over with "On This Day in GD Land", we turn back 33 years to March 24, 1991, which just so happened to be Palm Sunday as well, and the good ol' Knickerbocker Arena in Albany, NY, where for the 2nd year in a row (following their debut triumvirate of performances at the newly opened venue in March 1990) Jerry and the boys were making another 3-show run as part of their Spring Tour at what became one of their favorite--and most welcoming to Deadheads and all the trappings of the accompanying "Scene"--East Coast venues during the final years. (Note they would go on to play "the Knick" for 2 Summer Tour shows in 1992, 3 Spring Tour shows in 1994, and 2 final shows on the beleaguered and bedeviled fateful 1995 Summer Tour :bigheart ).

Here on night 2 of 3 and for a Palm Sunday Show, the band's offering was two phatty Sets with a perhaps Double-obligatory "Samson & Delilah" to open up the 2nd Set, followed by "China Cat Sunflower" :arrow: "I Know You Rider", with the respective lyrics of lament ("...gonna miss me when I'm gone..."), and the seasonally appropriate lyric of cleansing, hope, renewal, and (again perhaps suggestive of) redemption, "..March winds gonna blow-woh-oh all my troubles away...".

Next up is a most impassioned rendition of "Looks Like Rain" (I still recall the vision of Bob, full-on embodying the song's main character, imploring---with both hands gripping his mic stand and conveying one of the religious day's emotional symbols of suffering--the rain he'd seen all his life to go away!...into "He's Gone" (a Palm Sunday ode to ???... :think )

A coupling of "The Wheel" ("...Small wheel turn by the fire and rod; Big Wheel turns by the Grace of God...") :arrow: "I Need A Miracle" is birthed out of Drums/Space and keeps the thematic thread of the 2nd Set going...

At the risk of reaching too far I'll stop short of declaring any explicit or literal connection of "Standing On The Moon" with "Nearer, My God, to Thee", although to contemplate the Christian hymn's allegorical retelling of Jacob's dream (in flight from his brother Esau, but that's an explication for another time, lol) in which a rising ladder connects Earth up to the Heavens (for angels to both ascend and descend) and the SOTM lyrics, "...a lovely view of Heaven, (but) I'd rather be with you..." makes for fascinating contemplation/meditation...

If the ultimate message of Jesus indeed was (for us) to love one another, then it would seem the c'mon everybody get up and dance "Good Lovin'" set closer was, at the very least, suggestive of such a notion.

Of course in a perfect (non-secular) world, "...And I Bid You Goodnight" would've been the ultimate capstone encore on this night, and furthermore would have supported the dual and complimentary notions of thematic consciousness and conceptual continuity by the band, but as we are all aware, the Grateful Dead merely occupy the "just exactly perfect" space in a secular world, so here we get "U.S. Blues" instead (and so much for separation of Church and State :lol:), and sending/casting the throngs of Jerry's followers out of the Knickerbocker garden and back onto Pearl Street and the surrounding late winter chilly environs (I'm pretty sure it didn't make it much past 40 degrees that day) of upstate New York's capital city...

Jacob, the heel grabber, of biblical proportions. What would be an allegory, Alex?
Peak2Peak, 5/3; Boulder
Start Making Sense (TH), 5/4; Boulder
Peak2Peak, 5/17; Boulder
BCF, 5/24-27; Boulder
WSP, 6/22; RR
Peak2Peak,6/29; Boulder
DSO,7/5; Denver
DSO, 7/6; Boulder

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 pm

Nassua 3-29-90 with Branford The show flatout soared!
JRAD
JMF
JGB
This Darkness got to give

:smileys-passing-joint

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:04 pm

dr bakes wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:12 pm
3/30/94 Omni Atlanta
Scarlet
Fire
Playin
Dark Star 1verse
D/S

The retirement of DS
30 years since the final GD Dark Star. Jerry teases Comes a Time in the post-song meltdown. Spark up and enjoy 3/30/94 in Atlanta. :smileys-passing-joint

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:00 pm

No joke, 4/1/94 at the Omni is a Grate late-era show.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 pm

JGB 4/2/76 at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic. :guitarred