Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Re: Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

Post by patchthenation » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:04 am

10 years ago, my dad and I caught the only Ratdog show at Chicago Theatre, 3/7/14. It's really strong top to bottom. :guitarred :listen :dance

We will get by, we will survive!

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:20 pm

A favorite of Nycdave and strangerinboulder, 3/9/81 at MSG. They both rave about the China Rider, I concur. Video below links to the GD playlist of the release (top right corner).

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:58 pm

patchthenation wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:20 pm
A favorite of Nycdave and strangerinboulder, 3/9/81 at MSG. They both rave about the China Rider, I concur. Video below links to the GD playlist of the release (top right corner).

With a brutal, heart pulpitating, Stranger opener. This show is nuts. One of my top three. Thanks, Patch!
Peak2Peak, 5/3; Boulder
Start Making Sense (TH), 5/4; Boulder
Peak2Peak, 5/17; Boulder
BCF, 5/24-27; Boulder
WSP, 6/22; RR
Peak2Peak,6/29; Boulder
DSO,7/5; Denver
DSO, 7/6; Boulder

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:26 pm

^ badass Patch TY :beer_cheer
‘Yeah, there were drugs in our history, but that certainly wasn’t what we were about. But for some people, that is what we were about. I think those folks pretty much missed what we were about’

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:01 am

30 years ago, the GD east coast spring tour started 3/16/94 in Chicago. My dad attended this show (probably all 3 in the run). Jack Straw is hot out of the gate, "Windy City fillies" in Minglewood was a nice touch, High Time is sublime, and Easy Answers > Don't Ease is a rockin close to set 1. Set 2 highlights include the second-to-last Dark Star (first verse only and kinda fast), an acoustic LLR, New Speedway tease before Miracle, SOTM, and Scarlet Fire of course. :listen

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:42 am

Next up in the Chicago 94 run, St. Patrick's Day 3/17/94. Jerry's got an acoustic tone for Althea that fits nicely, Touch and Wang Dang open the show with high energy. Jerry teases TN Jed before Lazy River. A rather short show with a solid setlist, playing, and strong Dew to close set 2. Always love hearing Rain.

:stpatcheer

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:02 pm

You know it's gonna get Stranger, Bobby sings to kick off their third night in Chicago 3/18/94, and Jerry responds with Deal as the second song of the night. Jerry singing and playing with conviction, too. Bob picks up the acoustic and off we go to El Paso :listen I like how Vince plunks out lines from the original version. Cool, albeit Garcia-less, Space (he shows up after the first refrain of TOO). All around solid 8.5 late-era show.

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:25 pm

3/18/1990 Hartford Civic Center
Shakedown>
Rooster
Stagger Lee
MAMU>Mexicali
FOTD
Little Light
Masterpiece
Ramble on
Music

Iko
He's Gone
Truckin
Spoonful
Drumz
Wheel
Watchtower
Dew
E US Blues

I remember it was a good show but not a standout show by Hartford historical standards but with the Dew I'm easily impressed. Sleep in my car on the nearby park an the cops clear off the park at sunrise. Let's say my day from there was great until it wasn't. A two night run in Hartford had the authorities on High alert and I can say that this was the only time recorded where I was in the city where a show was happening that I didn't go in. More to the story best told in person but I will say that I should have taken heed of the prior nights encore: ain't no Luck, I learned to duck!
JRAD
JMF
JGB
This Darkness got to give

:smileys-passing-joint

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 pm

A few days before this year’s Palm Sunday, enjoy JGB in Pittsburgh from 3/19/78, containing the last known version of the song Palm Sunday by the band.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:30 am

Enjoy this crisp, crisp video from Richfield 3/21/94. GSET > Bertha and Picasso kick off both sets "with a big can of kick ass," as a reviewer states on Setlist Program. Of course one of the highlights is Lovelight > Stella Blue > Lovelight in the second set; Speedway > Victim > He’s Gone is pretty heady too. Jerry adds a Matilda jam with Phil, Vince, and the drummers before Drums too! Were any of you there that night?

https://www.setlists.net/?show_id=2227