Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Re: Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

Post by patchthenation » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Rain, I don't mind! Even in 95, the Dead could work some weather magic. 6/30/95 in Pittsburgh, "The Rain Show" - anyone attend?

https://archive.org/details/gd1995-06-3 ... 44.flac16/

And before that, Jerry got dressed up 6/30/88 in Rochester; this show featured a Green Onions to open set 2 (the only time they played it), as well as the second Believe It or Not :bigheart

https://archive.org/details/gd1988-06-3 ... ok.flac16
We will get by, we will survive!

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:46 pm

We were there, the traffic coming in was a huge problem, after the 2nd set I grabbed my friend Jeff and said lets get out of here before the encore and as we started walking the familar G... L....O... R.... I.... A started up and we stayed. then it was on to DeerCreek and lets win there.
No Justice No Peace

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:47 am

One must remember that Summer 95 was the bad juju Tour:
1. Fences over run at Highgate by unruly heads.
2. Lightning strikes in Lot 8 at RFK killing one
3. July 4th weekend traffic made 3Rivers a cluster and then the Rain but as they say I don't mind, it was warm and it was pre cell phone so I got wet.
4. The bad craziness that was Deer Creek, fences crashed, both ticketed and loser gatecrasheres pepersprayed, 2nd show canceled, death threats against Jerry etc etc
5. Riverport, Saint Louis? Area campground building terrace collapses, many injured.
6. Soldier Field, hey the last show is super bad juju in and of itself.
No Justice No Peace

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 am

And we must remember the brief shimmers of brilliance within the music, all being played by the band for the final time. :bigheart

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:11 pm

Happy Canada Day! 50 years ago, The Festival Express train tour ran through Toronto, Winnipeg, and Calgary. Ridin' that train along with the GD were Janis and The Band. The Easy Wind and Candyman are believed to be from 7/1/70 in Winnipeg, although this Deadessays link has a very extensive explanation of the dates and what was played: http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2013/07/ ... guide.html

Interesting convo in this clip, mostly regarding cops (interesting to hear this from 1970 in today's climate). Jerry, Bob, and Rick Danko talking to a reporter (I think, I haven't seen the movie though):