New Guy

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
James77

New Guy

Post by James77 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:21 am

Hey all, been a member for a while, just now posting though, been moving and such. Just now got into the Dead.......I'm a late bloomer, LOL! Recently I picked the bass. I'm really getting into Phil's style. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for having me.

Boxorain

Re: New Guy

Post by Boxorain » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:39 pm

Welcome new guy!!
:terrapinnation!
‘Yeah, there were drugs in our history, but that certainly wasn’t what we were about. But for some people, that is what we were about. I think those folks pretty much missed what we were about’

Jbeach12078

Post by Jbeach12078 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:04 pm

Welcome. Better late, then never. I'm fairly new myself, all I gotta say is this place, is a goodtime. You'll be surrounded by grate people, and talking about awesome tuneage....

westyvw

Post by westyvw » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:54 pm

James77 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:21 am
Hey all, been a member for a while, just now posting though, been moving and such. Just now got into the Dead.......I'm a late bloomer, LOL! Recently I picked the bass. I'm really getting into Phil's style. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for having me.
I like to point to this scholarly article when talking about Phil Lesh: http://popular-musicology-online.com/is ... od-01.html

I think this is a nice introduction to how Phil approaches the music. It is important to know where he is coming from to try and play like him. Most people don't play like him by the way, Phil is very unique among bass players!

You also might find interesting discussions at the BassTalk web site.

Finally, although this is geared toward guitar, the folks at the subreddit greatfulguitar are friendly and helpful when discussing the playing of grateful dead tunes. Maybe a bassist pops in from time to time, I dont know.

In any case, welcome to the group!

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:10 pm

Welcome!

:welcomewave

:terrapinnation!
"Got any nails?"

"No!"

"Got any flies?"

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:16 pm

Welcome, again :beer_cheer
Peak2Peak (GD), 7/15; Boulder
Jerry Garcia's 80th birthday celebration, 8/1; Boulder
Peak2Peak (GD), 8/19; Boulder

James77

Post by James77 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:18 am

Thanks for the welcome!!!!

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:42 am

Hi James, glad you joined the party here!! Good luck with the bass efforts! :guitarred

:welcomefire

Tone Weaver

Post by Tone Weaver » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:10 pm

James,

Welcome to TN.

I've played and gigged on guitar and bass over the years.

It's not easy playing like Phil, Bob, or Jerry. They are all brilliant and unique.

Bobby is all about various chord voicings and rhythm accents.
Jerry loved to improvise around bluegrass runs and modal jazz ideas.
Phil is the master of melodic counterpoint. He would generally land on the root, third or fifth of the chord on any given downbeat. Or sometimes even a sixth or seventh for more tension to be released. He weaves his own new lines with every tune or jam.

They all listened extensively to, and absorbed, many styles of music for their inspiration.

Jazz is their basic school of improvisation, while Phil's classical training is reflected in his melodic counterpoint.

And most important, they listened to each other so the "music played the band".

The linked article is a great place to start. Listening and practicing will get you close. Nobody ever really gets there. That path is for their steps alone. Yours and mine may follow, but they would want us to find our own way as well.

Once we get our theory and chops in shape, we can always channel their Muses in our own direction.

A sample of my bass playing: