Setlist Dead & Company, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, 6/18/2019

Post show reviews here and join in live setlist discussions
SunshineSue

Setlist Dead & Company, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, 6/18/2019

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 am

It's time for another night of Dead & Company in yet another classic venue! Tonight the band is at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs, NY. Showtime is 7 pm ET, looks like the parking lot opens at 4. One of the Grateful Dead's best shows, imho, was played at SPAC on this date exactly 36 years ago and I was so happy to be in attendance. I'm betting the good vibes left by that performance will inspire the guys tonight. The race is on, so get ready for more fine music! :dance

There are PPV webcasts available from Nugs: http://nugs.tv/
Free Nugs Set 1 opener: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vy2aWYMeY
Free Nugs Set 2 opener: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-e8mF7Tq8

If you hear about any streams, please send me a PM so we can spread the word that way. Audience periscopes are listed below. :listen :crossed
https://www.pscp.tv/casezille108/1BdGYAWmzRMGX
https://www.periscope.tv/casezille108/1MYxNdXvwaXGw

SET 1: (7:21 ET)
Feel Like a Stranger (BW)
Hell in a Bucket (BW)
Alabama Getaway (JM)
When I Paint My Masterpiece (BW)
It Must Have Been the Roses (JM)
Cumberland Blues (all)
Cassidy (BW) :guitarred
U.S. Blues (BW/JM)
(8:31 ET)

SET 2: (9:15 ET)
Here Comes Sunshine (JM) :sunshine
Shakedown Street (BW)> :dance
Wharf Rat (BW)>
Playing in the Band (BW)>
Uncle John's Band (all)>
Drums>
Space>
Viola Lee Blues (all)
Dear Prudence (BW)
Casey Jones (JM/BW)

E: Midnight Hour (BW)
(11:19 ET)

Chuckster

Re: Setlist Dead & Company, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, 6/18/2019

Post by Chuckster » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:42 am

SunshineSue wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 am

One of the Grateful Dead's best shows, imho, was played at SPAC on this date exactly 36 years ago and I was so happy to be in attendance. I'm betting the good vibes left by that performance will inspire the guys tonight. The race is on, so get ready for more fine music! :dance

I was there (and for the other GD SPAC shows*), as well, SunshineSue :dance
—I can’t believe we didn’t run into each other! :lol:

I still have my ticket stub (kinda wish I brought it with me as a karma piece and to post a pic of it :? )

*On that note, here’s a well-on-point overview/summation of the Grateful Dead’s ‘80’s SPAC shows that was published yesterday in anticipation of today’s Dead&Co show on the 36th anniversary to the day of the GD’s “maiden” appearance at the venue—ENJOY!:

https://liveforlivemusic.com/features/g ... 1983-1988/

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:00 pm

have a GRATE time Chuckster, bones, and others going to the show! I will be at work. Boo. LOL

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:02 pm

You beat me to it, Chuckster, I was just going to post that Live for Live Music retrospective. Great stuff!! And since I'm totally and completely biased, here's what they had to say about 1983's show, the first Dead show at SPAC: :D

From Live for Live Music:
JUNE 18, 1983: HOW DO YOU DEW?
The Grateful Dead’s first visit to SPAC was quite the maiden visit to the venue, with a large, rain-soaked crowd witnessing what is widely acknowledged to be the best show of the 1983 summer tour and one of the best shows of the year. The first set offered highlights from the very beginning, with a “Bertha”/”Jack Straw” opening pairing and the night’s first big jam immediately in the form of an early-show “Bird Song”. A few songs later, “Althea” preceded the third-ever “Hell in a Bucket”, which the band paired with long-time standard, “Deal”, to close the set.

The second set was one for the ages, and word has it that this show would likely have been given an official release by the band if not for the inconvenient and frustrating fact that they do not have a recording of the show in their tape vault. That’s a shame, because the 27-minute “Scarlet Begonias” > “Fire on the Mountain” is up there with the version from Hartford later in the year that would appear as part of Dick’s Picks Vol. 6, and Deadbase contributor Jeff Silberman, who attended the show, “hereby challenge(s) anyone to find a more raucous version of “Scarlet Begonias’ than the one that opened this set.”

Weir followed this pair of epics with one of his own, an 18-minute version of “Playing in the Band”, whose reprise out of “The Wheel” almost 20 minutes later served as the intro to the show’s highlight: the best “Morning Dew” of the dirty eighties, whose ending was so powerful that is necessitated a full stop by the band to regroup before the set’s closing salvo and encore. Silberman recalled that all he could think during the song’s closing section was “Phil is Lord.” We get it, Jeff. We definitely get it.

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:49 pm

Chuckster wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:42 am
SunshineSue wrote:

One of the Grateful Dead's best shows, imho, was played at SPAC on this date exactly 36 years ago and I was so happy to be in attendance. I'm betting the good vibes left by that performance will inspire the guys tonight. The race is on, so get ready for more fine music! :dance

I still have my ticket stub (kinda wish I brought it with me as a karma piece and to post a pic of it :? )

*On that note, here’s a well-on-point overview/summation of the Grateful Dead’s ‘80’s SPAC shows that was published yesterday in anticipation of today’s Dead&Co show on the 36th anniversary to the day of the GD’s “maiden” appearance at the venue—ENJOY!:

DSO played this show at the Boulder Theater on 9/30/17
DSO, 9/6 (Boulder)
DSO, 9/7 (Boulder)
DSO, 9/8; Performing RR from 9/8/83 (RR)
Shakedown Street, 10/11; Performing all three sets from the Warfield from 10/11/80 (Boulder)

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Chuckster wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:42 am
SunshineSue wrote:

It sounds like everyone was there, we should of had a meet up. Here comes pride in the backstretch.
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

StellasBlues

Post by StellasBlues » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 pm

:listen :guitarred holtdaddy and I have been together 20 years and married 14 today! First show together was The Other Ones/ Furthur 9/21/2000 Greensboro NC and we haven’t stopped loving and going to shows since! Ziggy Marley opened! Thanks for letting us be a part of this group! We are enjoying it so much!!!
Nothing to tell now, let the words be yours, I'm done with mine. :bears2

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:24 pm

In case you're looking for more fun with your couch tour, Bob has conveniently already completed one square on the Bingo card for tonight! :mrgreen:

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:41 pm

StellasBlues wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 pm
:listen :guitarred holtdaddy and I have been together 20 years and married 14 today! First show together was The Other Ones/ Furthur 9/21/2000 Greensboro NC and we haven’t stopped loving and going to shows since! Ziggy Marley opened! Thanks for letting us be a part of this group! We are enjoying it so much!!!
Happy Anniversary, that's wonderful!! No better way to stay together for the long haul than going to shows together, at least imho and experience. I'm hoping you get a They Love Each Other tonight to help mark the occasion! And I'm so glad you both joined the family here, you fit right in!! :sunshine :clap :bigheart

StellasBlues

Post by StellasBlues » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:13 pm

:grouphug thanks so much!!! I saw the workout video on Instagram too loll! :rofl y’all are too kind! Let’s have some fun tonight :smileys-passing-joint
Nothing to tell now, let the words be yours, I'm done with mine. :bears2