Bob Weir & Wolf Bros. Lockn' Festival, 8/25/2019

Post show reviews here and join in live setlist discussions
LostSailor

Re: Bob Weir & Wolf Bros. Lockn' Festival, 8/25/2019

Post by LostSailor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Boxorain wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:56 am

Now Fri / Sat night Lockn...the best music I’ve seen in years...maybe ever. That Ridiculously Good
The collaborations with Trey, Derek, and Susan were outstanding. You could tell they must have rehearsed the Layla set for months, like a Phish Haloween costume.

Whoever made the call for Wolf Bros to feature Susan blew it, that should have been a sax instead. But Bob's electric set with Mikaela Davis was outstanding too.
What’s new is old, what’s old is gone
You’re pushed up to the edge, so put your wingsuit on

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:01 pm

LostSailor wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:02 pm
Boxorain wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:56 am

Now Fri / Sat night Lockn...the best music I’ve seen in years...maybe ever. That Ridiculously Good
The collaborations with Trey, Derek, and Susan were outstanding. You could tell they must have rehearsed the Layla set for months, like a Phish Haloween costume.

Whoever made the call for Wolf Bros to feature Susan blew it, that should have been a sax instead. But Bob's electric set with Mikaela Davis was outstanding too.
Yea Friday / Sat night almost unexplainable how good that stuff was. I knew it would be good w/ the quality of musicianship but F....totally blew my mind. Still blowing my mind

And Bobby was tremendous with all his sit ins. Looked and sounded strong...impressive. I thought for certain that would continue into Sunday night but IT wasn’t there. Some good stuff mixed in but mostly scattered and lost. Poor guy is getting crushed all over online. I understand a mild disappointment but man peeps can be rough. 72 year old guy with serious miles on those treads. Perspective. Seeing how it was the last night of a long fest, Probably had a few glasses of wine and a couple stems...nothing big but it doesn’t take much. Hell I tried playing guitar afterwards w/ KC and couldn’t get through a song. Get it going and then completely lose it. Psychedelics man. Not saying that was the case with the Chief but would be understandable

I think Michael Jordan missed a free throw or two didn’t he?
‘Yeah, there were drugs in our history, but that certainly wasn’t what we were about. But for some people, that is what we were about. I think those folks pretty much missed what we were about’

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm

Man, overall I think both the Wolf Bros sets were great. There were clearly some moments where Susan and Bob weren't on the same page, but that's because that was clearly completely unrehearsed. Bob was clearly nervous and flustered at points, which took away from him and Susan being able to connect with each other. That was interesting when Bobby told the crowd to say thanks to Susan but she was like "wait I still have a song left with you." :lol: That Angel From Montgomery>Sugaree was beautiful!! I loved how Bob kept bringing Susan back to that vocal jam, and when Susan sang "I don't know" the whole place erupted with laughter :rofl Not saying anyone here on this board has done this, but I seriously question anyone who criticizes a member of the Grateful Dead for taking chances on stage... Susan's voice sounded really great alongside Bob's. I'd love if they did this again in the future (maybe with some more practice)!!! And then when Mikaela Davis came on stage things got so beautiful. The Days Between, Bird Song, and China>Rider were so beautiful. :bigheart The crowd did a great job of staying pretty damn quite, which is incredibly rare with this group.
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

LostSailor

Post by LostSailor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:41 pm

It's terrible that Bobby's getting trashed online.

Maybe he needs a better manager to handle his contracts so he doesn't get ran into the ground for a stupid tennis trophy. Shappy already made a ton of $$ off Bobby and the rest in a very short amount of time.

People love to hate on Phil and Jill, but slowing down and putting thier earnings into Terrapin Crossroads was the best thing in the world for Phil. Imagine if Jerry was still around playing STFTA in the back yard too.

Where did summer 2019 go? See y'all around on the Phish Dick' s couch tour next weekend :hand
Last edited by LostSailor on Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What’s new is old, what’s old is gone
You’re pushed up to the edge, so put your wingsuit on

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 pm

KC.Jones wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm
but I seriously question anyone who criticizes a member of the Grateful Dead for taking chances on stage...
I agree dude and hope you didn’t think that’s what I was hinting at. The Wolf Bros formation in itself was / is a huge chance / risk / undertaking. That’s why I appreciate Bob so much...he’s not comfortable for long in the comfort zone. He has more courage than almost any other musician I’ve come across ...always pushing the envelope.

I could just tell he was uncomfortable last night which made me uncomfortable...I felt for him. That’s all
‘Yeah, there were drugs in our history, but that certainly wasn’t what we were about. But for some people, that is what we were about. I think those folks pretty much missed what we were about’

westyvw

Post by westyvw » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 pm

I had a hard time watching a lot of that. The guitar being out of tune was not helping. I am not going to go on about it, save for this: Bobby has seen and done everything. He is a cowboy and gets right back on that horse. The press and social media will say shit no matter what he does, so I assume he just lets it roll off his back. There is another gig and another day to get it right.

That said, anyone else remember this? Bob by himself alone can still hold an audience, and the Wolf Bros will do it again as well.
Bobby is still painting.....

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:27 am

Boxorain wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 pm
KC.Jones wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm
but I seriously question anyone who criticizes a member of the Grateful Dead for taking chances on stage...
I agree dude and hope you didn’t think that’s what I was hinting at. The Wolf Bros formation in itself was / is a huge chance / risk / undertaking. That’s why I appreciate Bob so much...he’s not comfortable for long in the comfort zone. He has more courage than almost any other musician I’ve come across ...always pushing the envelope.

I could just tell he was uncomfortable last night which made me uncomfortable...I felt for him. That’s all
No brother, i 100% was not directing that towards you. No one on this site actually.
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 pm

I LOVE BOB WEIR...…. THAT IS ALL :jumpeveryone :dance :listen
Smell Every Flower

miner

Post by miner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:36 pm

how about some pages for 9/18, 9/20. 9/21 and 9/22.... please and thank u. :guitarred

westyvw

Post by westyvw » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:05 pm

miner wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:36 pm
how about some pages for 9/18, 9/20. 9/21 and 9/22.... please and thank u. :guitarred
They ended up over here: https://terrapinnation.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4034