The Other Ones 1998 Tour

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
ScottyB

The Other Ones 1998 Tour

Post by ScottyB » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:02 pm

I've never listened to anything from The Other Ones' first tour. Any particular shows I should check out? Also what's the general opinion of that tour? Was it well received at the time?

:bears2 :bears2 :bears2

patchthenation

Re: The Other Ones 1998 Tour

Post by patchthenation » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:56 pm

I love it, the Strange Remain album is GRATE. They are one of my favorite bands post-Jerry.

Most, if not all, of the 98 tour is on archive - also with soundboards of 7/24-25 the last two nights of the tour. You can also find some Youtube videos as well.

Have to say, I miss the days when Bruce did the Jerry songs.

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:12 am

patchthenation wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:56 pm
I love it, the Strange Remain album is GRATE. They are one of my favorite bands post-Jerry.

Most, if not all, of the 98 tour is on archive - also with soundboards of 7/24-25 the last two nights of the tour. You can also find some Youtube videos as well.

Have to say, I miss the days when Bruce did the Jerry songs.
I really wish The Strange Remain would get re-released, or at least put on Spotify. Sealed copies of the CD are crazy expensive right now. I remember when I first started getting into the Dead around 2001 I would always see copies of it at record stores. I was very curious about it but I was new to the band so I was busy buying as many Dick's Picks CDs as possible. It's weird I've never delved into them because I love Kimock and Hornsby.

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:29 am

I saw 2 shows, my first time hearing Kimock. I thought WOW, but why is he sitting down. I remember thinking the setlist were more adventurous than 95 GD.
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 am

I have such mixed feelings about that tour. I hadn't seen any Dead member since July of 1995, right before Jerry died. So I had so much emotion going into the show, that it was hard to really process it. I enjoyed it, but it just wasn't the same as the good old GD (to state the obvious). The music really was great and it was wonderful to dance to it again, but yet the feel of the whole event seemed very different, and that made the loss of the what I'd experienced before that much more acute. Not sure why Furthur was able to capture that part of the scene so much better than TOO or The Dead. :think

Absolutely worth a listen, though! :listen

The Other Ones, Pine Knob, Clarkston, MI, 7/13/1998
Playing in the Band
Hell in a Bucket
Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Jack-A-Roe
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Hound Dog
Bird Song
Rainbow's Cadillac
Franklin's Tower
Drums
Space
Banyan Tree
Playing in the Band
Wharf Rat
Throwing Stones
Not Fade Away

DeadDuck

Post by DeadDuck » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:25 am

SunshineSue wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 am
I have such mixed feelings about that tour. I hadn't seen any Dead member since July of 1995, right before Jerry died. So I had so much emotion going into the show, that it was hard to really process it.
My first significant post-Jerry experience was only 9.5 months after 8/9/95 at Laguna Seca Daze and it was also quite emotion filled. I think it may have been the first sort of significant gathering of the "family" with both Ratdog and Mickey's Mystery Box playing. The vibe was very much a cathartic experience for the crowd. Kinda like "well, we're all still here and we're gonna keep these family gatherings going regardless of what happens. Whatever the music may have been, the campsite was a great experience for all the fans that just needed to know we weren't going stop getting together. I think Bobby and Mickey and all the other musicians in attendance kinda felt it, too, the love and unity of it all.

I'd be mighty interested to hear that Ratdog set. I've honestly never even tried to find it because I just wanted that time in space to just rest in its own place and be what it was. Maybe I'll have to go dig for it....

Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul.

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08 pm

SunshineSue wrote:
I have such mixed feelings about that tour. I hadn't seen any Dead member since July of 1995, right before Jerry died. So I had so much emotion going into the show, that it was hard to really process it. I enjoyed it, but it just wasn't the same as the good old GD (to state the obvious). The music really was great and it was wonderful to dance to it again, but yet the feel of the whole event seemed very different, and that made the loss of the what I'd experienced before that much more acute. Not sure why Furthur was able to capture that part of the scene so much better than TOO or The Dead. :think

Playing in the Band
Hell in a Bucket
Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Jack-A-Roe
Hound Dog
Bird Song
Rainbow's Cadillac
Franklin's Tower
Drums
Space
Banyan Tree
Playing in the Band
Wharf Rat
Throwing Stones
Not Fade Away
I felt the same. I had a hard time getting into it. And no it was not the same. Kind of a weird vibe tbh. But looking back, the music was good. I should have opened my mind more I guess.
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 pm

SunshineSue wrote:

Playing in the Band
Hell in a Bucket
Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Jack-A-Roe
Hound Dog
Bird Song
Rainbow's Cadillac
Franklin's Tower
Drums
Space
Banyan Tree
Playing in the Band
Wharf Rat
Throwing Stones
Not Fade Away
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be sure to check out that show ASAP.

LostSailor

Post by LostSailor » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:01 pm

The SBDs used for The Strange Remain are so good and seamlessly mixed that it sounds like a studio recording. The liner notes don't indicate which show(s) it's mixed from. Such a pity that this lineup only lasted for a short one and done tour.
Grab a copy from eBay :listen
What’s new is old, what’s old is gone
You’re pushed up to the edge, so put your wingsuit on

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:03 pm

LostSailor wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:01 pm
The SBDs used for The Strange Remain are so good and seamlessly mixed that it sounds like a studio recording. The liner notes don't indicate which show(s) it's mixed from. Such a pity that this lineup only lasted for a short one and done tour.
Grab a copy from eBay :listen
There's a sealed copy on Discogs for 30 bucks, I might have to pull the trigger. Usually they seem to go for $70-$100.