Re: LOCKN’ 2019

Post by mok » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:52 pm

westyvw wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:40 pm
mok wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:44 pm
SunshineSue wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:38 pm
Well, they got another tune, Franklin's Tower, and no Bob. It sounds fine with Marcus, but this seems odd. Hope Bob feels OK! :think
Yeah, it seemed like a lst minute swap, including his awkward comments about Bob and new friends coming out. What do you bet they just asked all the guitarists who was ready to jump in on a reggae Franklins, Maybe the heat was getting to Bob? Its not like Steel Pulse needed his name to justfy their spot on the bill...
Bob was scheduled to play with the Wolf Bros in the Super Vip tent. I think he might have been able to squeeze it in if it hadnt gone long. But it would have been tight. Steel Pulse to end at 5:30 and the Wolf Bros start at 5:30.
Ah, that sucks.

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm

So that's what happened to Bob! Thanks much for the scoop, westyvw, have lots of fun!! :sunshine

I hope Bob is well rested for the next two sets. There's a thread in the Show Review section for tonight's Wolf Bros show. :listen

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am

Lockn was a blast this year folks. I got to chill with Boxorain for a lot of it! As soon as I arrived Thursday afternoon a HUGE and powerful storm with insane wind came through and caused a ruckus. Lots of stuff got destroyed. It was an ominous way to get things started. It caused the temp to drop 20 degrees which was nice! A few acts got their gigs cancelled which must've been a bummer for them. Khrungbin got things started and brought out Trey for a good thirty minutes! Gary Clark was sweet! He a his band kill it. JRAD was nice as always. I think they need to improve their vocals before I start digging them as much as everyone else seems to. There's more to the music than just playing it fast. Still, I was impressed with them. I left their second set a bit early to go get a good spot for Circles Around the Sun, and man am I glad I did. I got front row, dead center. I was less than ten feet from Neal, Adam and Dan. Those guys are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Like it might not get better than them when Neal's in the middle of a solo. I raged!! So much head banging. Having the barrier in front of me to hold onto was perfect. I'm tearing up now thinking about how I'll never get to see Neal Casal again.... Friday morning was nice. I met some neighbors and convinced them to see Fruition with me for their morning set in the woods. We were all happy we went. I then went back to my spot to chill for a bit. As soon as I got into the venue for the Melvin w/ JK set over the PA they tell us they're evacuating the stage area and to seek shelter. Here we go again. This storm was pretty powerful but it was nothing compared to the one on Thursday! As soon as it ends I go and link up with Boxorain who was waiting in line for his car to go through security. Melvin w/ JK was great, but too short. No one to blame but mother nature for that. I stayed up front for the Edie set because I knew Bobby was gonna come out for it. It was a blast when they did the Deep Ellum. Once the stage turned and Pigeons was playing, I used that time to transition my camping gear from my car to Boxo's spot. That man can cook! He hooked it up on the grill. If you ever get a chance to camp with him, do it!! The next act I was inside for was the Revivalists who I'd never seen before. They were good and played with a lot of energy. I'd check them out again for sure. Then it was time for TAB. First set was good, but second set was where it was at!!! I was shocked with how fantastic Trey and Derek sounded together, and it was sweet when Susan came out with them too. Preservation Hall Jazz Band who I'll definitely be seeing again on Saturday were great. Oteil and Friends was perfect. The WRS was great, and they even let Neal Casal sing and I had no idea he could! He sounded great. Duane Betts really impressed me as that was my first time seeing him. He looked just like his Dad. Boxorain made a good observation that it seemed like he was playing his Dad's old guitar. Then it was time for some EPIC Tedeschi Trucks!! Set one was great. Susan was feeling it hardcore on a few of the tunes. Her voice is so good. So much raw but beautiful power. Talk about commanding the attention of folks. Then..... The Layla set!!! One for the books!! I was wishing I had wings so I could fly above the field soaring to the perfect music. It took a while to come down from that high! Soulive late night was great but I was a little burned out from all the dancing and cheering from the Layla set. Sunday started by going to church with Keller! That was fun, he always puts a unique spin on the tunes. When the stage turned for the next act Deva Mahal, the entire place EMPTIED. I felt horrible for her and the band. Steel Pulse was fun, I figured Bobby would be with them more, but no worries because that dude played a lot of songs this weekend. I caught a bit of St. Paul & the Broken Bones and they brought a lot of energy. I missed .moe, but sometimes at a festival you have to know when to take a break because if you don't you won't make it to the end! The bit of Jason Isbell I caught was good. I miss him with Drive-By Truckers. Then it was time for the polarizing Wolf Bros sets! I wrote a little about them in another thread, so I'll just say that I was happy they played that slot and the two guest sit-ins were overall good. The harp adds a layer of beauty that's hard to be matched.

Lockn 2019 was so great!!! I wish I was still there and it was never ending. Security and the police presence were a slight damper on the weekend and I'll be curious to see what that means for 2020. The festival this year probably had about a third of the campers it did last year. The field was pretty full Friday and Saturday night, but not like the previous years. That was fine with me! More room to roam around and dance! I'll be back next year if my schedule works for it!! I already miss it and am so so so so glad I went!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:29 pm

^ spot on review KC and grate having ya as a camping mate! Every year when I’m leaving my driveway I say to myself, “you’re crazy to be doing this” but 4 days and 22hrs of driving later, you can’t wipe the smile off my face. That Trey / TTB quite possibly will never be topped...but I’d like to see em try :guitarred

~ Greatest Festival Ever Sold ~
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:16 pm

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:39 am

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:40 am

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:56 am

KC.Jones wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:39 am
Was very unexpected / grate moment...I think this is the first time Oteil and Bob did WRS. Maybe a sign for Deadco?!

Any footage of Bob singing Happy B Day to Oteil?! That was cool

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Boxorain wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:56 am
KC.Jones wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:39 am
Was very unexpected / grate moment...I think this is the first time Oteil and Bob did WRS. Maybe a sign for Deadco?!

Any footage of Bob singing Happy B Day to Oteil?! That was cool
It's at the end of the Cassidy video. Bobby did it better that Pete!

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:00 pm

While listening to 11/11/10 this morning...had a brilliant thought. If Shapiro is looking to reignite the Lockn flame after the dip in attendance this year...talk to Bobby and Phil and reunite Furthur for a Sunday night closer! Maybe a Bobby / Phil set pre TTB Sat night?! Dark side of the Mule Friday. Man...tell me that wouldn’t be killer?!