Visiting Portland: A Thread (Suggestions and Help Wanted!)

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Visiting Portland: A Thread (Suggestions and Help Wanted!)

Post by patchthenation » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Hey all, I am considering a trip to Portland (since I have Southwest points to afford a round trip). What are some great times to go (I am considering Sep/Oct)? I would be flying into and staying around Portland, so I am also interested in anyone's personal recommendations for things to see and do. I've never been to Oregon and I really want to, because I feel like there's a hippie vibe there I just won't find in San Diego.

Won't you please, please help me! :) :colorwave
Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

MontrealJared

Re: Visiting Portland: A Thread (Suggestions and Help Wanted!)

Post by MontrealJared » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:33 am

patchthenation wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:54 pm
Hey all, I am considering a trip to Portland (since I have Southwest points to afford a round trip). What are some great times to go (I am considering Sep/Oct)? I would be flying into and staying around Portland, so I am also interested in anyone's personal recommendations for things to see and do. I've never been to Oregon and I really want to, because I feel like there's a hippie vibe there I just won't find in San Diego.

Visit Portland Maine instead. It’s about a 5 hour drive to Montreal.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you.

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:24 am

I lived in Portland Maine, i would recommend three dollar Deweys.
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

Griff

Post by Griff » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 pm

^^^^ Well those were no help......but funny.

Ok bro, ya know I live just down the road in Seattle (well actually the mountains but close enough). Been here a long time. What do you want is the question??

Being an avid climber and skier I would have a hard time not suggesting the outdoors. You are just about an hour away from Mt. Hood and Timberline Lodge. Built in 30s, it's both beautiful and spiritual. Now if you are a skier, then you can go skiing!!! Yes, summer skiing is still going. Usually ends the end of July. By now, the run is just an 800 vertical foot run down the Palmer snowfield, but how many people can say the have skied in July????? I can, lol.

Mt. Hood is but one of about 7 volcanoes you can visit in OR. Mt. Washington, the Three Sisters and Crater Lake are all spectacular too. Now these are all 2 hours out of PDX by car, so maybe too far.

Again staying on the outdoor theme, the OR coast is a popular spot as well. About 1.5 hours or so from PDX, there are some magical place. That said, hard to beat SD beaches so perhaps not worth it.

As for time, September is usally a great month. Schools start the first week of September in OR so after that, the place becomes easier to get around and see things. October can be great when we get the "Indian Summer" (Native American obviously, but is the term of art). Sunny days and cool nights. But the weather can flip in OCT too, and become cold and rainy (yes, I prefer that myself). 60% is nice and 40% it flips. So September is the better bet.

Now as for PDX proper, yep plenty of things to do. Lots of small bars and good music scene. My bro Scott Law lives in PDX and plays there a bit, but there is no usual or regular GD scence per se. Craft brews everywhere. The river and waterfront is terrific. Most likely you will have a topless woman jogger. Yes, that is the hippie part, but in reality there is no area that stands out overall as being hippie anymore. It's more just a way of life.

DeadDuck

Post by DeadDuck » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Oregonian here: I'm still on the road heading back from Boulder. Give me another day or two and I'll respond.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul.

DeadDuck

Post by DeadDuck » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 pm

patchthenation wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Ok, this is going to take some back and forth. Maybe message me after this for more direct Q&A. But, here's a few thoughts:

1. I agree with Griff that September is a better bet than October, for weather reasons.

2. https://edgefieldconcerts.com/events/ Edgefield has a statue of Jerry in the venue and gets some good shows. Maybe Trombone Shorty, Leon Bridges (sidenote: check out the opener Khruangbin on youtube. I'm really digging them lately), or Avett Brothers? It's also part of the extensive McMenamins collection of places. The food is meh and the beer is just ok, but the atmosphere of every McMenamins is pretty hippie-ish and always kinda fun to experience for anyone who hasn't been there.

3. Griff's estimation of Mt. Washington, the Three Sisters, or Crater Lake is slightly off in terms of time. Mt. Hood, though, is close enough to Portland and you might aim to go up and check out Timberline Lodge, which served as the exterior of the lodge shown in The Shining. Then, on your way back into town stop at the Skyway Bar near Zigzag. It's a pretty cool little place with a cool vibe and occasionally has some good music.

4. Check out Portland's Saturday market downtown on NW Naito Parkway. It's kinda like Shakedown Street with tons of handcrafted stuff and weird people.

5. Take a walk through the rose garden in Washington Park. Beautiful park and a great view of Mt. Hood.

6. Griff is also right about Portland being about the outdoors. The woods to the east (near Mt. Hood) and the coast to the west are part of the splendor of the area. The city is almost just a place to live and work so as to be in proximity to getting outdoors. I could go on and on about places on the coast or hikes to take. If either of those are something you want input on, message me and we can get into detail.

7. See #6 for breweries, in terms of messaging me. There are just too many to go into here.

8. Get a cup of coffee and just sit. Water Avenue has some fantastic coffee. Soundgrounds is a great spot for people watching. Coffee is part of the fabric of the PNW. Experience it.

9. Powell's Books on SW 10th and W Burnside. Long-time, locally-owned Portland staple. It's kinda dumbfounding how big it is once you're in there.

10. If the Crystal Ballroom has any bands you might be interested in seeing, go. The Dead played there in '68. Spring loaded floors, chandeliers, paintings on the wall. It's kind of iconic.

Where to stay? Same as 6 & 7, that's maybe best discussed one on one.

Griff

Post by Griff » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm

I drive fast. Lol. No you're right bro, more like 3 to 4 hours huh??? I am jusy wayyyyy to optimistic sometimes. Lol.

5th Ave suites is nice but pricey. A bunch of cool boutique hotels in PDX. Expensive but unique.

Saturday fair by the water is cool. Like a Shakedown. Fun!!!!

DeadDuck

Post by DeadDuck » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Griff wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm
I drive fast. Lol. No you're right bro, more like 3 to 4 hours huh??? I am jusy wayyyyy to optimistic sometimes. Lol.

5th Ave suites is nice but pricey. A bunch of cool boutique hotels in PDX. Expensive but unique.

Saturday fair by the water is cool. Like a Shakedown. Fun!!!!
Mt. Washington and the Three Sisters are in my neck of Oregon. I live in Bend, but have lived in Eugene and Portland, too. I've done the drive to and from Portland so many times I could drive there in my sleep. Those mountains are like 2.5-3 hours. I was more referring to Crater Lake, which is an actual National Park and, imho, more noteworthy. That's at least a 4 hour drive from Portland, if not more like 4.5 hours. I, too, am a fast driver but traffic on the two lane highways to these places sort of dictates drive times, regardless.

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 pm

If you love beer and weed you'll love Portland. Walk around through the various neighborhoods of Portland... ask the locals what they suggest. Very friendly people there. I was there recently and loved it. The less of an agenda you have before you go there, the more fun you'll have.... go with the flow!!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know