Tell Me Something Good!

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
Wisconsindead

Re: Tell Me Something Good!

Post by Wisconsindead » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:06 pm

dr bakes wrote:
Denver Man wrote:I start a new job on Thursday! Man I hate looking for a job, interviewing, etc. Stressful.
The company is super small which is good and bad but it will be nice not working for a huge corporation, which I did for nearly 15 years before getting laid off.
Congrats, Do they test?
I just got an email this week stating that my branch of the company, which is all over the US, is expanding the random drug test pool and I am now apart of that group. Not happy. Though I am glad I had been winging it the past two years where I was never really sure if I was in the group or not. Not sure if I am going to quit smoking herb or go the fake pee route.

Sad times...

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Way to go, New Yorkers, kindness in action!! :clap

Subway Riders Scrub Anti-Semitic Graffiti, as ‘Decent Human Beings’

FEB 5, 2017: Commuters wiped away anti-Semitic graffiti they found on a No. 1 subway train on Saturday. “Within about two minutes, all the Nazi symbolism was gone,” one rider wrote on Facebook. Credit Gregory Locke
Returning home on Saturday night after a dinner in Manhattan with some longtime friends, Gregory Locke boarded a No. 1 subway train and was confronted with an ugly sight.

The car’s windows and posters were covered in anti-Semitic graffiti, according to accounts from Mr. Locke and another passenger in the car, Jared Nied. Messages like “Jews belong in the oven” and “destroy Israel, Heil Hitler,” had been written over subway maps, as shown by photographs taken on the train. Swastikas were drawn in black marker on the doors and windows.

Mr. Locke, 27, a New York lawyer, said in a phone interview that his first reaction was shock, “especially once I realized how many instances of graffiti were on the train car.”

“But the shock quickly subsides and turns into a sort of a realistic horror,” he said. “You realize it’s appalling but it’s also not surprising at the same time.”

Neither man reported the graffiti to the police, and neither the New York Police Department nor the Metropolitan Transportation Authority had a record of any report. Mr. Nied, 36, was returning home from his work as a sous-chef around 7 p.m. and boarded the train at 42nd Street. He said in a phone interview that his reaction to the graffiti, which he noticed immediately, must have been written on his face, and he soon attracted the attention of another commuter. “There was a lady sitting across from me under the map, and she said, ‘Oh that’s absolutely horrible,’” he said. “‘Do you think there’s any way we can erase it?’”

Mr. Nied had many times used a Sharpie when he had meant to use a dry-erase marker, and he knew from experience that alcohol would work to erase the graffiti. “A light bulb went on, and I just asked, ‘Does anyone have hand sanitizer?’” he said. Mr. Nied and several other commuters began to wipe away the graffiti, their actions captured in photographs taken by Mr. Locke, who wrote on Facebook about his experience. By late Sunday afternoon, more than 518,000 people had reacted to the post on Facebook, and the post had been shared more than 354,000 times. “I’ve never seen so many people simultaneously reach into their bags and pockets looking for tissues and Purell,” Mr. Locke wrote. “Within about two minutes, all the Nazi symbolism was gone.”

Mr. Nied said that the episode had lasted less than five minutes and that the passengers were able to erase the graffiti before the train reached 96th Street. He returned a bottle of hand sanitizer to one of the riders, apologizing for having used most of it. “We sat down and glanced around at each other and settled back into the commute,” he said. Both men said they understood that there might be skepticism about their accounts. “I understand the criticism, but unfortunately, I don’t have an answer for it,” Mr. Locke said. “I would probably be suspicious, too, if I didn’t take the pictures.”

Detective Ahmed Nasser of the New York Police Department said that while the episode had not been reported on Saturday, other reports of anti-Semitic graffiti had been logged recently: A recycling container downtown was reportedly defaced with the words “Jews are a virus” in black ink in January, and swastikas were found etched on a northbound F train this month. A separate episode, in which a passenger on a B train saw that a swastika on an American flag had been transformed into a message of love, drew a comment from Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Sunday: Andrew Cuomo ✔ @NYGovCuomo
This is what New Yorkers do - we turn hate into love. And we wont back down -not now, not ever. #TurnHateIntoLove
10:33 AM - 5 Feb 2017
1,972 1,972 Retweets 5,188 5,188 likes

On Saturday night, Mr. Nied sent a text to his wife, Jacquline, and to a friend with a photograph of the graffiti, but he did not consider the prospect that someone else might have taken photos. He said it had not even crossed his mind until more than an hour later, when his wife looked at her phone. “She said, ‘Dude, you’re going viral,’” he recalled. He added: “It was a very New York moment in that we all came together, we all teamed up, and then we settled back down. I don’t think any of those people really spoke, truth be told. Everyone kind of just did their jobs of being decent human beings.”

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:11 am

Maybe this is old news, but I just discovered yesterday that I can see live streams on Facebook even without an account! I know it wasn't that way during last year's DeadCo tour, but at some point between then and now, it looks like Facebook must have changed their system to allow video viewing on public accounts. It was lots of fun watching Holly Bowling play yesterday! I'm know I'm not the only non-FB person around here, so it will be great that all of us can now watch some of these fun free streams! :clap

There, now you can't say I never say anything good about Facebook. :mrgreen:

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:35 am

I'm being stared at by a very ticked off squirrel because our new squirrel-proof feeder works, and I think that's something very good!! :mrgreen:

Given we feed the squirrels seed, peanuts and corn on a big, open table top right next to the hanging feeders, I think they'll still do fine without destroying the small birds' feeder. 8-) :geek:

Add- and if that weren't good enough, now I just found out David Grisman and Tommy Emmanuel are coming to Ann Arbor this fall!! A rare local concert!! :guitarred

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 am

Terrapin Nation now has over 1,000 followers on Twitter!! :D :ugeek:

@Terrapin_Nation

https://twitter.com/Terrapin_Nation

:terrapinnation!

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:13 pm

SunshineSue wrote:Terrapin Nation now has over 1,000 followers on Twitter!! :D :ugeek:

@Terrapin_Nation

How come TN doesn't follow me? :mrgreen:
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Denver Man wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:Terrapin Nation now has over 1,000 followers on Twitter!! :D :ugeek:

@Terrapin_Nation

How come TN doesn't follow me? :mrgreen:
We do now! And did I mention we're followed by Mickey, Billy, John K and even DJ Logic?! :mrgreen:

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:34 pm

It's so good to be reminded that weir everywhere, even in my neck of the woods! Saw this great Brent license plate right outside our local pie shop today. And yes, I left them a TN pin to find when they came back to the car. :D :clap

KEZHEAD

Post by KEZHEAD » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:25 pm

I just noticed that The JKB is coming to Ann Harbor :jumpeveryone :grouphug :jumpeveryone :grouphug :jumpeveryone :grouphug :jumpeveryone :grouphug :jumpeveryone

So happy for you Sue
I've seen him on several occasions
The man really jams :guitarred :guitarred

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:34 pm

It's good to go to the mailbox and find an usb filled with video and music, I'm so excited!! It's even better to have a friend like bones who sends you such great stuff!! Long Strange Trip, here I come!! :dance