Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Re: Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

Post by patchthenation » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:32 pm

In an effort to be a completist, and because Get Back is one of my favorite Beatles tunes, I'm giving 1/28/87 at the SF Civic a spin today. Am I recommending you listen to it? Sure! It's Dead-A-Day, man!!! You may be aware that this show is plagued by terrible vocals- it's the first show in 1987, and maybe they didn't rehearse much between New Year's and that night? It's funny how the December 86 shows were so grate, and this one is such a flop. However, I must admit most of the actual playing is good. Only at Brother Esau at the time of this posting, but thus far: the Shakedown is really good (again, besides blown lyrics and verses, which is the running theme of the first set so far). Seems Jerry was more focused on making his songs sound good, because Roses is decent. Row Jimmy is nice, Jerry lays down an enjoyable solo. Healy didn't help Bob at all on Get Back, but it's fun to hear the crowd go nuts when they figure out what it is at the beginning, and after the California grass line. Don't bother with All Over Now- first time played since April 86, so it's rough. Bob might have been trying something new with it? Whatever he was thinking, it doesn't work. Alright, you can listen to the rest and make your own assessments... :listen

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:57 am

Forty-nine years ago today there were some folks busted down on Bourbon Street and subsequently a great song was born. What a long, strange trip it's been! :bears2

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Here's one I haven't listened to before. From the reviews on the Miller board, it's got grate sound and is well-played. I can't wait to dig in! This one is Deadicated to the Midwest TN'ers - stay warm!!! 1/31/78 Chicago:

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:36 am

Listening to 2/1/80 JGB tonight....someone calls for Let it Rock and Jerry plays it.... :dance :clap :listen

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:20 am

dr bakes wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:37 pm
It was super hot that day, the promoter said he had a hard time getting the GD on and off the stage. I still have the tshirt, skull and roses but with a cowboy hat, it said
deadheads and cowboys. We had a nice PAPER event.

Bump for t shirts that don't fit anymore.
:smileys-passing-joint
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:27 pm

:bigheart I dedicate today's post to Gloria Jones, may she rest in peace. Thank you for the beautiful vocal additions to many-a-JGB show. :bigheart

2/2/90 Warfield:

https://ia800300.us.archive.org/1/items ... .mp3?cnt=0

2/3/90 Warfield:

2/4/90 Warfield:

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Some Jerry to start your day, 2/5/81 from Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, PA:

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Garcia/Saunders on this day in 1974, with Kahn and Kreutzmann! 2/9/74 in Moraga CA:

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 am

My dad and I spent the better part of the last hour dissecting Eyes of the World, and in that spirit, I am posting a 2-day-late Eyes > China Doll from 2/9/73 in Palo Alto. This show should definitely be a release, just for the fact that so many Hunter/Garcia epics were spawned on this date: HCS, Row Jimmy, TLEO, the two below, and then the bops Loose Lucy and Wave That Flag.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:14 pm

The 20th anniversary of Bobby with Hanson! For today and tomorrow, here's "Ratdog" (Weir, Wasserman, Lane, with guests Warren Haynes and Michael Falzarano) 2/12-13/99 at the Wetlands in NY:

2/12:

2/13 - listen for different lyrics on Two Djinn; also with Hanson! on Watchtower through OMSN: