"Fare Thee Well" Book Rolling Stone Write Up

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
Kevin

Re: "Fare Thee Well" Book Rolling Stone Write Up

Post by Kevin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:07 am

MontrealJared wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:57 am
If they turn this book into a movie I hope they get Seth Rogen to play me.

Seth would be Jerry :smokesmile :rofl :rofl
Smell Every Flower

Nycdave

Post by Nycdave » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:13 am

Thanks 2 a kind soul who lent me this tail of intrepid trips, I am all caught up on our historic ambulance chase. :swerve
It's a fun book. :woo We have bad kin :( like Mr. Machiavelli & Lady Macbeth
giving a hard time :o 2 ménage who aspire only peace & flowers. :cheer:
Spoiler alert. :? It all ends well. After big hoedowns :hop in Santa Clara & Chicago, integrity prevails. :grouphug
All the virtuoso artiste continue having rip-roaring hoedowns (coming soon to a theater near U) :colorwave

while the evil Macbeth's are sequestered 2 the crossroads. :jester

acid test graduate

Post by acid test graduate » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:23 pm

[/quote]
I take it all with a grain of salt as some of the things Sevin said (and is in the book) struck me as quite odd - like Phil wanting to steal JK from DSO to cripple DSO.
[/quote]

Right there is an example of the bullshit I'd expect in this tripe fest. Crippling DSO is one of the dumbest things anyone from the GD could do if you're concerned about your legacy, because those folks are out there spreading the joy of the music every night. Phil, and I'm sure Bob, discussed the merits of John K, and they were correct in their choice. I just wished they'd decide to get them all back together for a few shows.

Jill called Jeff and Sunshine "nobodies"? C'mon......

Do you suppose Selvin might begrudge the Lesh's considering they allegedly didn't answer his request for interviews?

rippleish20

Post by rippleish20 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:38 pm

I found this book quite interesting and would recommend it. I stopped going to non local shows and paying as much attention to the scene from after Jerry died - until Furthur - so maybe more people are aware of a lot stuff in this book. But I found the backstory of how Jay Lane and Jeff Chementi ended up connected to the scene, the Terrapin Station story, Roger McNamee involvement, how much Phil involved Kimock in the beginning, how much money the GD made off of merchandising and Dick's Picks. the progression of Ratdog and Phil & Friends all very interesting. Phil & Jill come out even worse than has been suggested, but there was plenty of other ugliness in the mix - Mountain Girl versus Jerry's wife, various people's addictions, the story of Jerry's guitars, etc. Is it all accurate? I suspect it's like any book where people were interviewed and the writer attempts to tell the big picture. Who you were able to interview and their world view/biases all flavor the story. The author has his own biases. Some of the conjecture is quite interesting but who knows if it's accurate. The author suggest that Phil was not really aware of the extent of GD tribute bands and when he becomes aware has a "they are stealing from us because they are making money off of our songs and music". The "crippling DSO by taking JK" notion is an extension of this. Is this accurate? I don't know either way. But overall, It's hard to believe the author is specifically trying to make PhilJill look bad just because they wouldn't do an interview. There isn't a specific episode where Phil & Jill get carried away, the entire story is filled with this. I guess I totally take it all with a grain of salt but the overall narrative explains a lot to me.

If this type of thing detracts from your fond memories of the GD I might avoid the book, but I separate a musicians ability to create music from them personally. Just because someone is an amazing musician doesn't translate to them being an incredibly nice person or stable people I guess I care about what the music means to me not whether the GD had very odd dynamics and personalities. Despite the whole Phil/Jill story I believe Phil is in the top couple of bass players of all time and the GD endeavors post Jerry I have enjoyed the most have generally involved Phil (except for Ratdog, I love Ratdog).

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:12 pm

I completed this book and have a few thoughts to share if anyone cares to read them.

About a month ago, I picked up this book because I went to a book store in search of Barlow's Mother American Night because I knew I had several long flights ahead of me in the following days. The store I went to did not have Barlow's book in stock but they did have Fare Thee Well. I originally wasn't planning on reading it, but I picked it up and read a few pages and decided to buy it so I had something to entertain myself during the plane rides.

Before reading the book, what I was most interested in about it was the chance to learn more about the post-Garcia variations of the band. I wasn't particularly interested in the "drama," "gossip," or "exclusive behind the scenes access" the author and publisher were selling. I've read plenty of books, watched plenty of docs about the band, but I can't think of any of them that even touched on the post-Garcia bands.

First, what could be perceived as negative for some readers:

There's definitely some "he said, she said" rumblings in the book, but I believe Selvin was doing what any writer in his position would do, reporting what he knew to be facts, and telling the entire story. Not telling the complete story wouldn't be fair to the band and its fans. I don't believe Selvin was injecting any of his personal biases into the narratives, he was just summarizing what was told to him. The sad truth that has to be faced is that the Lesh's really have rubbed nearly everyone the wrong way. Either with fits of rage against band members and their family, or with making crazy demands to flex their power, the Lesh's truly have burned bridges with MANY people. You can choose to believe that's only opinion or gossip, but that's denying the facts. Is it a hard pill to swallow? Yes. But does it make the music any worse? No. Portions of the book are like discovering Santa or the Tooth Fairy are not real. Garcia was the glue that held the band together, and as soon as he passed no one in the band knew where to look for guidance. But like all families that have experienced trauma together, there is still LOVE towards each other deep down inside everyone, it's just sometimes forgotten about for periods of time.

Now, the good:

I thoroughly enjoyed all the extensive information Selvin provided about all the different bands and projects Weir, Lesh, Hart, and Kreutzman have been involved in both with and without each other. So many details about the members of Phil & Friends, Ratdog, The Other Ones, The Dead, Furthur, Mickey's trillions of projects, and Billy's projects including BK3, Billy & the Kids, and 7 Walkers are explored. He not just writes about the groups, but he writes WHY they came to be the way they were, which I truly appreciated. Even some details about the formation of Dead & Company are included. I've discovered some great music from the information provided, including Joan Osborne w/ The Dead and Ryan Adams doing Wharf Rat with Phil.

Selvin's writing about the lead-up and the events of Fare Thee Well are magical. His writing in this portion is powerful and led to me tearing up. After all the drama, fighting, and trauma the members went through with each other, there's a happy and undeniably beautiful ending. The final few chapters read as an ode to the dedication and loyalty of Deadheads. The book includes many behind the scenes details about the organizing and throwing of the events. It also includes the points of view of many characters from the Grateful Dead universe during Fare Thee Well. Selvin does a song-by-song review of all five nights of the concerts, and yes he does rip Phil's singing...(no comment ;) ). This portion really makes me regret being dead-ass broke during the summer of 2015 and unable to attend the ceremonies.

In summary....

If anyone feels reading about the nitty gritty details and drama during the twenty years after Jerry died will potentially ruin their appreciation for the music, then I don't recommend reading the entire book. Be your own judge on what kind of impact that information will have on you. With that said, I do believe EVERY Deadhead NEEDS to read the final few chapters about the lead-up and execution of Fare Thee Well. I recommend picking up at the chapter titled "Shapiro" and reading until the end if you don't wish to read the other portions of the book. I promise you won't be disappointed with what you read, if anything it will get you charged up and ready to get on the road chasing the music again!!

P.S. - There's a tiny shout out to Terrapin Nation in the book!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

rippleish20

Post by rippleish20 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:05 pm

I actually came out feeling less negative about some of the people involved in the scene and, in some cases, even more positive.

Mickey's comments about JK have always bothered me but, based on quotes in the book, it appears he has said some over the top things to people in the band, people he is obviously much closer to than JK. I am not a fan of the harshness of some of his comments, but taken in that light the comments about JK seem to just be part of his way of dealing with some things. His dedication and hard work towards his own projects actually impressed me. The book also made me realize just how devastating Jerry's death was to the other members and that maybe the "we can't bring in a guitarist that sounds like Jerry" was a really a very emotional thing to them. I loved Jerry but the notion that any future guitarist couldn't sound anything like Jerry was never important to me, but I guess I now accept that this is more of an emotional thing for the other band members as well as many Deadheads.

The book also softened my view of Peter Shapiro. Although a business man at heart and good at extracting a premium via VIP etc, he also seems to care about the specialness of the GD and actually seemed to have done the right thing in the scheme of things. Buying all tickets from Ticketmaster so the Sanat Clara tickets so they could all be sold to the public via mail order, for example. And more recently, making sure audience taping is allowed at the Capital Theater.

I'm not a fan of John Mayer but the portrayal in the book is interesting. Stumbling across the Dead's music and being totally drawn to it was interesting.

Steve Parish - Steve comes out well is this book.

Some of the author's overall comments bother me. He doesn't seem to have research JK's involvement much and the few comments are somewhat insulting although I don't know that they were personal at all. I'm sure John refused to talk to him and it's probably more that he really doesn't know more about John';s involvement than the obvious. He says stuff like "they brought in John (known as 'fake Jerry') from DSO"and he concludes in the end that Trey was the best choice for Fare Thee Well because (he was someone everyone agreed on and) all the other guitarists who had tried to fill Jerry's shows had, one way or the other, had failed. Uh, I would't say to that way at all....

I said a little about this is my prior comment, but one of the consistent themes I found very interesting - that the band members largely sheltered themselves from knowing much about Deadheads. They didn't want to know about the parking lot scene, maybe even thought the whole scene was odd, but. most importantly, didn't really know much about the rise of tribute bands and just how many other musicians were playing GD songs.

KC Jones you seem to have been interested in many of the same things I was. The one thing I didn't find as interesting was the last part of the book covering the Fare Thee Well shows. I personally thought it went on and on and the song by song stuff was boring. I would say, however, that it did make me regret, to some degree, missing the Chicago shows, as this was obviously a super emotional event for everyone and that the music or was playing guitar was less important.

bones

Post by bones » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:52 pm

been reading it online...about 1/3 way thru

i got miracled to santa clara shows....my first dead shows west of buffalo...caught the let it ride rex benefit that fri nite at warfield with jgb, melvin & jk...then crb...then the 2 huge stadium shows...

sat front row upper level looking straight on at bobby

sun early 630 start....on field...very emotional brokedown

but i felt "it" i.e. Jerrys presence...more anywhere near ocean water arounf sf bay, etc

took that monday to explore sf
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

11/1 Live Dead 69 Londonderry NH
11/6 Elton John Boston
11/9 DSO Lowell
11/15, 16 Weir Boston
11/20 DSO Concord NH
11/29 TTB
11/30 Joan, Anders & Robert Randolph do Dylan
12/1 TTB

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:13 pm

The idea that Phil poached John K to undermine DSO seems absurd to me, even if you believe Phil is the Machiavellian type.
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:21 pm

dr bakes wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:13 pm
The idea that Phil poached John K to undermine DSO seems absurd to me, even if you believe Phil is the Machiavellian type.
If the other assertions Selvin makes in his book are in fact true, that one is the least damning of all. It ain't all Sunshine and Daydreams as we like to think it is...
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

bones

Post by bones » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:29 pm

even the fact that phil was unaware of grateful dead cover bands :shock:

then again president Busch was shocked at the fact that there were scanners at grocery store registers back in the day :shock:
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

11/1 Live Dead 69 Londonderry NH
11/6 Elton John Boston
11/9 DSO Lowell
11/15, 16 Weir Boston
11/20 DSO Concord NH
11/29 TTB
11/30 Joan, Anders & Robert Randolph do Dylan
12/1 TTB