Golden Gate Wingmen Tour 2018

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
rippleish20

Re: Golden Gate Wingmen Tour 2018

Post by rippleish20 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:44 pm

They have done We Can Run in the past. Mexicali was an odd choice but it's all good. They did a very unusual Baby Blue the other night but I loved it.

Some of "us" still seem to be uncomfortable with Reed's style but that's what the Wingmen are about. This run seemed to attract a lot of positive attention for the band and the crowds were big at all of them. Sherman had double the attendance of previous years...

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:58 pm

rippleish20 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:44 pm
They have done We Can Run in the past. Mexicali was an odd choice but it's all good. They did a very unusual Baby Blue the other night but I loved it.

Some of "us" still seem to be uncomfortable with Reed's style but that's what the Wingmen are about. This run seemed to attract a lot of positive attention for the band and the crowds were big at all of them. Sherman had double the attendance of previous years...
I "was" a little uncomfortable with Reed but the DC show got me over the top, he is clearly a talent and I admire his creativity and I like his unique approach even if it doesn't always work well.
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

LostSailor

Post by LostSailor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Reed told me he came up with the idea of playing a bass pick-up through a guitar amp.

Without a doubt the scuzzbag car burglar that stole his effects rig had no clue what it was.
Elvis Is Dead :rockon

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:26 am

Although Reed and GGW are creative with unique sound, I feel comfortable enough to say that I prefer good ol John Kadlecik Band :whistle 8-)
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

rippleish20

Post by rippleish20 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:38 am

Denver Man wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:26 am
Although Reed and GGW are creative with unique sound, I feel comfortable enough to say that I prefer good ol John Kadlecik Band :whistle 8-)
I love GGW but I will repeat - JKB was as good as the Wingmen, in a different way, this last run.

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:42 am

Denver Man wrote:
How honest can this statement be though? :whistle :lol:
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:30 pm

KC.Jones wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:42 am
Denver Man wrote:
How honest can this statement be though? :whistle :lol:
He taught me good Lord, taught me all I know, taught me so well .....
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

LostSailor

Post by LostSailor » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:26 pm

To me, Jeff's keyboards sounded odd during this east coast run, kind of like a Wurlitzer tone. If you listened to the 2015 shows he was playing piano more like Page McConnell, or jazzy 1990's era Ratdog with some driving B3 sounds when the music called for it. IMHO that was a better dynamic fit for a single guitar jam band like GGW or Phish.

Elvis Is Dead :rockon

Wisconsindead

Post by Wisconsindead » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:21 pm

LostSailor wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:26 pm
To me, Jeff's keyboards sounded odd during this east coast run, kind of like a Wurlitzer tone. If you listened to the 2015 shows he was playing piano more like Page McConnell, or jazzy 1990's era Ratdog with some driving B3 sounds when the music called for it. IMHO that was a better dynamic fit for a single guitar jam band like GGW or Phish.

I too wish Jeff would bring his standard keyboard back. He just sounds amazing playing a good old fashioned piano tone. He must not think it worth bringing. He is doing some of the set up/tear down. He hasn't used that keyboard since the 2015 tours, when it was replaced with the Rhodes/Wurlitzer thing.

But, I really like his new Vintage Vibe keyboard. I'm not sure if it was originally a Wurlitzer or Rhodes or what, but it sounds wonderful. The pitch shifting thing he does is also interesting. And the sparkle green is :leafsmile

Wisconsindead

Post by Wisconsindead » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:26 pm

I think Wingmen should keep focusing on bringing new material in (Dylan, random Dead tunes, random covers) and should play a good chunk of JK originals. That would be ideal. And for christ sakes, we've heard enough Terrapins, Touch of Greys, and Help>Slips for a while. I was really bummed to have heard a mere 3 JK originals during this four show run.

But, thats just me trying to get what I want. These guys will do what they do. And I think the more dead they play (especially stuff like terrapin and help>slip) the more attractive they become to their base. I would be fine if they didn't play a single dead song personally.