Setlist Dead & Company Folsom Field, Boulder 7/13/2018

Post show reviews here and join in live setlist discussions
Denver Man

Re: Setlist Dead & Company Folsom Field, Boulder 7/13/2018

Post by Denver Man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:42 pm

I thoroughly apologize if I sent this thread down a rabbit hole this morning, not my intention :whistle :sunshine
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Brother, what rabbit hole? I’m just bringing a little honest debate in here. Last night unicorn rainbows must have been flying out of Johns butt. Because they weren’t flying off his fingers.

Tonight will be one for the ages. The band knows thy sucked and won’t repeat that mistake tonight.

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Denver Man wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:42 pm
I thoroughly apologize if I sent this thread down a rabbit hole this morning, not my intention :whistle :sunshine
You didn't, this is the same show debate that we've all been having for decades, all in good spirit! More importantly, I hope you're feeling up to making the show tonight. As much as we miss you on the couch, I'd hate a virus to keep you from a local show. But taking care of yourself is the first priority! :crossed :sunshine

And on another note, I wasn't trying to dis Bob, or the other guys, but they certainly didn't seem sober last night and who really knows what they do or don't imbibe in these days. John was sure trashed when he did HQ Trivia live! 8-)

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:59 pm

I saw Billy sucking on a tube throughout the show. (O2) Perhaps altitude sickness.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Carlo wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:59 pm
I saw Billy sucking on a tube throughout the show. (O2) Perhaps altitude sickness.
that's what I thought was affecting Bob
Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Well despite late gate time, late show start, assault rifles, heat, great or terrible show debates, band members maybe or maybe not being dosed or having altitude sickness, talkers, texters, etc the Boulder sunset was spectacular! :sunshine :bears2

Hope everyone has a wonderful time tonight whether at Folsom or on the couch! It's been a great tour :woo
IMG_2637 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:32 pm

:roll:

I even tried saving the picture upside down hoping it would attach right side up :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Any tips on how to attach photos would be greatly appreciated :D

Chuckster

Post by Chuckster » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Hmmmm...I’m of the mindset that given the content of the most recent posts here one could understandably and reasonably so wonder,“What is the scope/purpose of these ‘Setlist’ threads? “Should critical reviews—and by critical I mean to offer one’s own critique/assessment of the merits/de-merits of the show itself, based on the aspects of “content” (eg, song selection/what’s on the setlist) and of “delivery”, ie, the performance of said content, the songs/music, be a part of the Setlist thread? Wherever this ultimately goes (or doesn’t go), it’s a notion I support as deserving of consideration and perhaps appropriately deserving of its own specific thread...

Full disclosure: I’m not afraid of suggestions of, nor to myself suggest that, indeed, “The Emperor has no clothes”...

That being said, I think there were any number of instances where things were “off” last night, and that both Carlo and “Grateful Dean” (by video proxy as it were) offer salient points and fair criticisms.

Go back and listen to “Cold,Rain and Snow”: there was something “discordant” about it musically speaking, whether JM’s guitar playing (particularly at the start) was off-key, and/or the band had a difficult time getting in time with one another...it was not “all together” there...

During “Saint of Circumstance”, at the end of the lyrical line, “Holes in what's left of my reason, holes in the knees of my blues”, Bob instructs (and correctly so if the intent is to adhere to the original arrangement of the tune) into the microphone, “‘blues’ in double time”, which the band tried but utimately came up short in doing...it never sounded as if things “clicked into gear”.

All this prompts me to recall an interview a couple years back with Bob and John at the start of this Dead&Co endeavor in which Weir offers the following comment:

“This idiom,...well,it’s American Musical Heritage...it’ll toss people, (if they don’t worship it)”.
(I concede that the qualifier “if they don’t worship it” may come across as a bit “heady” to some).

Here it is below, a very insightful interview, in my estimation, FWIW. Bob’s specific comment referenced above is at the ~3:57 mark:

And lest we all get stuck affixed gazing too seriously into our own—and others—navel(s), let’s keep in mind that much as is the “rule of thumb”/caveat in life, so too it is when members of the Grateful Dead (and now “& Company”) attempt to perform Grateful Dead music “live” in the moment as well: “Things sometimes work and things sometimes don’t.” :?

Shroomopotamus

Post by Shroomopotamus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Carlo wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:52 pm
I don’t want to be a buzz kill. But that was the worst show of the summer tour. It seemed as if every song went nowhere as if they were sitting on a toilet and trying to take a shit but were constipated all night. The lost sailor- saint was horrible. The only shining moment was the Stephen WT 11. And even that was anemic. Don’t believe me. I dare you to listen again.
Carlo wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:02 pm
Anyone who thought last night was good is tone deaf or too high.
Carlo wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm
SunshineSue wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm
Hi Carlo, welcome to Terrapin Nation! Sorry you didn't like the show, guess they're not all winners. :welcomewave

I know there were technical issues and my better half swears John, Bob and Oteil were dosed, but I still thoroughly enjoyed that Sailor/Saint! 8-)
Thanks for the welcome. Didn’t want my first post to be a downer.

Nothing but love for this band. But we know their potential. Last night was like really bad sex. They should switch Oteil and Jeff back. It messed up the entire flow. Tonight should be epic. Because they owe It to all of us. If you disagree, I give two fucks. Here is a link to my friend Dean’s review on YouTube. I am in full agreement with him and was before the review.

Here is his review:

Will be tuning in from the living room. I love these guys and am hoping for a really great show tonight. Mexico goes on sale soon.

lol

Last night was the best I've heard from em. The energy was wild. The band was on fire from start to finish. I was and remain simply fascinated by every moment of it. That was just so much fun. I'll pass on the Dean fellow telling people how they should feel about the show :hand :lol:
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
Roll on forever
:jester GGW ~ 2-25-2017 :jester
There’s UFO’s over Boulder & I ain’t too surprised

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Good job using the quote function. Obviously the party was raging obliviously on. But the facts are the facts. Musically it was a stinker. Tonight is gonna shred in comparison. My call is a playin dark Star.