Last night made me appreciate Mayer even more

Post show reviews here and join in live setlist discussions
KC.Jones

Last night made me appreciate Mayer even more

Post by KC.Jones » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:14 am

I saw Terrapin Flyer with Melvin Seals last night in downtown Cleveland. I had a good time, danced a good amount, enjoyed some shredding from Melvin on his B3, probably drank one too many beers, met some fine folks, and hung out with Mike (DrippingColors) for a bit for the second time in the same day! Sometimes though I wish I could turn off my brain and stop listening to the music from a critical standpoint, and just enjoy the tunes like seemingly most people do. When I say critical, I don't mean from a negative point of a view, but from an analytical mindset, or an overall evaluation. I think you all get my point. No one's paying me to be a critic, so I'm not trying to be negative or anything, and I'm not trying to single out this band because this happens nearly every time I see one of these cover/tribute bands. Instrumentally this band was fantastic! I closed my eyes a few times during a solo and I could've thought I was listening to the real deal. Which is awesome... to an extent. For about the first five songs I was really into it, amongst other JGB staples they played a fantastic Reuben and Cherise. Obviously, I knew I wasn't at JGB concert when there was singing involved (that's all I'm gonna say about that element of the band). Melvin didn't sing either. The lead guitar player was almost note-for-note playing exactly how Jerry would've been playing every single solo and lead part. Which, again, can be extremely exciting. Dude has some serious talent, and I must say has really nailed the look. His guitar had this bright blue LED light on it's body though that maybe should get some tape put on it, because I don't know of any of Jerry's guitars that had that! For me, the whole "Fake Jerry," nearly note-for-note impersonation that has you thinking to yourself "that really might actually be Jerry playing" when your eyes are closed can only last so long before it grows stale. This, amongst a few other things (one of them being a pretty poor sound system with a speaker intermittently turning on and off with no one in the sound crew seeming to notice or care), had me progressively lose interest throughout the show.

Which brings me to the title of this post.... I'm not comparing the lead guitarist of Terrapin Flyer or of any "Fake Jerry" cover band to John Mayer in terms of technical talent, because that, not to be rude, would be incredibly stupid. But what I am willing to compare is their approach to the playing of the music. I've always appreciated how Mayer has been putting a bit of his own spin on the playing of the lead guitar, while still emulating what Jerry did. Yes, sometimes he sounds exactly like Jerry did with his guitar, but it's not all the time and I find it's in good taste. I find that Mayer's playing has a much longer shelf-life before I start rolling my eyes and losing interest like I did last night, and like with nearly all Grateful Dead universe cover bands. I'm sure playing with Bob, Mickey, Billy, Jeff, and Oteil helps a bit too! But that's not my point. To me, the point is this... it's not all about talent, it's about the willingness to bring something new to the table. To play a solo differently than the 10,000 other "Fake Jerry's" have played it. And that's what, still somewhat shocking to me almost three years later, has me appreciating John Mayer.

:terrapinnation!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

patchthenation

Re: Last night made me appreciate Mayer even more

Post by patchthenation » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 pm

I remember two players who have hooked me in post-Jerry incarnations: JK and JM. JK hooked me when I finally gave DSO some listening (way pre-Furthur). Furthur's first 3 shows in 09 had me seriously salivating. I feel that those 3 Oakland shows were Bob and Phil saying "play like you do in DSO" whereas in 2010 and beyond, they wanted him to play less like Jerry.

Warren never gave me any excitement. Kimock was GRATE with TOO98 and Ratdog in 14 and came very close. Shame Bob wasn't on the same level he is now with DeadCo. Jimmy Herring was enjoyable. JM just has this awesome and exciting thing about him when he plays. Your assessment I agree with wholeheartedly.
Sometimes though I wish I could turn off my brain and stop listening to the music from a critical standpoint, and just enjoy the tunes like seemingly most people do
Yes. Exactly.
Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

bones

Re: Last night made me appreciate Mayer even more

Post by bones » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Sometimes though I wish I could turn off my brain and stop listening to the music from a critical standpoint, and just enjoy the tunes like seemingly most people do
somehow i am usually able to do this at a free to say $10 cover band show...i know its not perfect...u will get scarlet but not fire...more straight forward rock versions of the tunes...but it beats staying home & passing out on the couch at 930

once im paying like $30 or more tho id rather see jrad, crb, or jk band than a straight up dso type show

ive gotten into the jam grass so would prefer to see rre, greesky, stringdusters, etc than pure cover band if the cost & distance is relatively the same

i do really enjoy zack nugent on lead & the female back up singers in the jgb with melvin seal tho

ill give them all a try if their local...personally i prefer jk band over ggw...i know others will disagree but thats why there are so many flavors out there
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

11/1 Live Dead 69 Londonderry NH
11/6 Elton John Boston
11/9 DSO Lowell
11/15, 16 Weir Boston
11/20 DSO Concord NH
11/30 Joan, Anders & Robert Randolph do Dylan