Setlist Dead & Company, Alpine Valley, 6/23/2018

Post show reviews here and join in live setlist discussions
acid test graduate

Re: Setlist Dead & Company, Alpine Valley, 6/23/2018

Post by acid test graduate » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 pm

patchthenation wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm
Sorry for my rant above, y’all. I’m usually a very peace love and rainbows kinda guy, but when NYC gets The Eleven, you kinda go into Alpine with high expectations. Ok I promise that’s all from me on this one. Lol
Patch, you are unusual in that you have such strong opinions on these subjects :rofl

I don't blame you for hoping for a particular tune that would be similar an experience for you as to riding a 100 foot wave towards the sunset (which of course is impossible, but a nice thought). Sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm confident they'll be back in East Troy again next summer, and you'll be there too! Too....rhymes with....
I suppose they need to save something big for the next stadium show.

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Patch...everyone wants that Dew!! I thought for sure we’d get it in Buffalo but hear’s the deal...we all as fans look so forward to just a few shows a year that it’s almost impossible not to be let down if we go in with those “expectations” of what they should do. They’re the band and the band is going to play what the band wants to play. Not what they think we want to hear. That in itself is part of the beauty of the GD. The 3 old dudes on stage have been at this for over 50 years man. Imagine that? It’s amazing they still have the energy to do what they’re doing. Ever go see Willie, Clapton, Buffett, CSN or anyone else 60 plus years old? Almost identical set lists night in and night out. Not Bobby, Billy, Mick or Phil tho. Always mixing it up. Never playing the same song the same way. Always challenging themselves. All the while practicing another fundamental GD quality...non perfectionism at its best. Always chasing. So I hear ya on wanting a song so bad that it inevitably becomes a let down. Look at it this way tho, at least we know going in that’s there’s always a possibility...with most of the other acts there’s never a chance of a fresh set list.

That’s also part of the reason why I think nongrateful Deano and all the other criticizing sites can suck on it. Like to see them try to pick up a guitar and play at that level. That’s social media for ya tho...Easy Answers
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

brassinthegrass

Post by brassinthegrass » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Boxorain wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:10 pm
Patch...everyone wants that Dew!! I thought for sure we’d get it in Buffalo but hear’s the deal...we all as fans look so forward to just a few shows a year that it’s almost impossible not to be let down if we go in with those “expectations” of what they should do. They’re the band and the band is going to play what the band wants to play. Not what they think we want to hear. That in itself is part of the beauty of the GD. The 3 old dudes on stage have been at this for over 50 years man. Imagine that? It’s amazing they still have the energy to do what they’re doing. Ever go see Willie, Clapton, Buffett, CSN or anyone else 60 plus years old? Almost identical set lists night in and night out. Not Bobby, Billy, Mick or Phil tho. Always mixing it up. Never playing the same song the same way. Always challenging themselves. All the while practicing another fundamental GD quality...non perfectionism at its best. Always chasing. So I hear ya on wanting a song so bad that it inevitably becomes a let down. Look at it this way tho, at least we know going in that’s there’s always a possibility...with most of the other acts there’s never a chance of a fresh set list.

That’s also part of the reason why I think nongrateful Deano and all the other criticizing sites can suck on it. Like to see them try to pick up a guitar and play at that level. That’s social media for ya tho...Easy Answers
I think you hit the nail on the head here Boxorain. Dead on the Head! I appreciate your perspective. :thumbsup

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 pm

acid test graduate wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Patch, you are unusual in that you have such strong opinions on these subjects
I get it from my dad. Lol but as Deadheads I think we all can admit we have a bit of high expectations for the shows we see.
Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

acid test graduate

Post by acid test graduate » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:08 pm

patchthenation wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 pm
acid test graduate wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Patch, you are unusual in that you have such strong opinions on these subjects
I get it from my dad. Lol but as Deadheads I think we all can admit we have a bit of high expectations for the shows we see.
Mi capiche.
When one has a refined palette, from having sampled a plethora of fine vintages, he/she does not, upon entering a renowned cellar, ask to sample wine that came in a box.

mok

Post by mok » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Boxorain wrote:

Wow, really well said! I'm sure I'm not alone also in being let down when they *do* play that perfect song for the occasion, as it sometimes feels too obvious/mechanical. I feel the same way with covers/etc.; they're gonna play what they want to, and that's critical for them to be a fresh, producing band instead of a tribute act.

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:34 pm

patchthenation wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm
Sorry for my rant above, y’all. I’m usually a very peace love and rainbows kinda guy, but when NYC gets The Eleven, you kinda go into Alpine with high expectations. Ok I promise that’s all from me on this one. Lol
Sorry for your experience. People like Deano aren't happy, unless he makes other people miserable. Ticket prices being what they are, he is certainly entitled to his opinion. Musically the BMR was good, but I think one falsetto band member is ample. After about my fifth show, especially with all the intangibles involved with this band, are there songs I'd rather not hear, sure everyone does. But as long as they play them well that's all one can ask. I remember back in the day people would say, they played this song six shows ago. Uh huh. When you tour, one will hear repeat songs. If that bothers people, perhaps they shouldn't tour. I look on stage + count my lucky charms, umm, stars that this enterprise is still afloat. As with my mother's passing in January, as well as with this musical configuration, you never know when the last time will be. It is still the last fair deal in the country. Rejoice , enjoy, + always be grateful :D

DeadDuck

Post by DeadDuck » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:57 pm

[/quote]
I suppose they need to save something big for the next stadium show.
[/quote]

Please let that be true since I'm missing The Gorge (typically excellent shows) and going to Eugene this weekend!

Autzen has not had a concert, of ANY kind, since 1997 (U2). This is the first concert Autzen will have hosted in over 21 years. Add in the ties to Kesey, Eugene being Eugene, and it being a stadium with crazy acoustics, and I'm surely hoping for a bust out and a great time. I have not been quiet about my wish for a Lazy Lightning on Saturday. Do have to wonder if an Other One won't be in the cards as I reckon the Further Bus will likely be on hand since it resides in the area.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul.

Jhawkdhead

Post by Jhawkdhead » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:11 pm

brassinthegrass wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:55 pm
Boxorain wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head here Boxorain. Dead on the Head! I appreciate your perspective. :thumbsup
Could not agree more Box. I will say some shows are teed up to be smokers and this was one. Weather was ideal, place was full beyond capacity and it was Alpine. Setlists are personal preferences, but I’ll admit I was a little disappointed. No worries though, still had a great time and will be back next year hopefully.

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:40 pm

It's nice to think they pick songs on the set list that correlate to other set lists from shows at that particular venue/date etc but I have a real hard time believing that actually happens.

Oh and Grateful Dean? :jester :rofl :rofl :rofl
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good