Post show reviews here and join in live setlist discussions
acid test graduate

Re: Setlist Dead & Company, Alpine Valley, 6/23/2018

Post by acid test graduate » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:04 am

Rockstar Richard meet Grateful Dean

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 am

^ flaming self absorbed asshole who’s probably never picked up a musical instrument in his life. BUT....LOOK AT ME....I’M JUST THE ABSOLUTE BESTEST HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET

that’s as polite as I can be to meatballs like that

Happy Sunday Morning!!

Anyone got vid of the sugar mags last night...thought it was great. The Chief!!
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

acid test graduate

Post by acid test graduate » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:00 am

Boxorain wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 am
^ flaming self absorbed asshole who’s probably never picked up a musical instrument in his life. BUT....LOOK AT ME....I’M JUST THE ABSOLUTE BESTEST HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET

that’s as polite as I can be to meatballs like that

Happy Sunday Morning!!

Anyone got vid of the sugar mags last night...thought it was great. The Chief!!
Conversely he must have been ankle deep in his own drool Friday night.

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:43 am

Between '79 and '85 I took a complete break from the GD scene. This guy reminds me of why I did that. Truly exhausting to listen to.
"Got any nails?"

"No!"

"Got any flies?"

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 am

ATG, I think Dean is a little over the top- definitely an acquired taste, if you so wish- however, I have to ask: WHO IS MAKING THESE SETLISTS?

There's some things he mentions that I agree with- colorful descriptions and all- and I just don't know if someone in Bob's camp is oblivious or what. Sure, NYC would obviously get a GRATE pair of shows...but Alpine is SPECIAL. In my opinion, there's no reason we should not have gotten Morning Dew. No reason!! Maybe because Dew was played ONE SHOW more recently? Because Jerry did SOTM at the historic 89 shows? Well 7/19/89 CLOSED the run with Dew/encore Lovelight. NO REASON they couldn't have done a nice throwback to 89 with a Dew Lovelight set 2 closer, and whatever encore. Personally I was rooting for Brokedown AND I NEVER DO! lol a double encore would have also been appropriate.

So yes, Dean is a bit over the top at times- ok, maybe all times- but Bob's setlist guy or the band's setlist guy, whoever is doing it, needs to get it right and remember people are driving/flying from across the country to see shows at Alpine Valley- MAYBE THE LAST TIME THEY WILL PLAY THERE- and those of us who did, want to hear MORNING DEW not SOTM.

And the Bon Iver segment really should have been night 1, if at all. I still feel like that was a historic shit dropping on the memories we have of Alpine Valley.
Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

acid test graduate

Post by acid test graduate » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Patch.....I think Dean is wound a bit too tight. When he mentions something about the band trying to blow life into a song as "trying to perform CPR on a decapitated person"...I mean c'mon, that is pretty funny. He's one opinion, take it or leave it, and I suspect you will exercise your right as you see fit.

As far as Alpine is concerned, it is where I got on the bus, and subsequently saw five shows. Obviously it means a lot to you and others, and the memories are precious Alpine was like the Dead's regional office in the midwest. I think it was at the '85 shows I felt like being amongst a very large group of people for a Dead show, and it seemed strange. This was before ever having seen them in a stadium. I thought to myself "this really seems to be catching on".

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:30 pm

SunshineSue wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 am
KC.Jones wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:08 am
What happened with Bob's mic stand? I'm doing audio stream over here
The stand folded over and a tech guy had to come pick it up and tighten the screw on it.
I didn't realize he actually smacked it, this is a hoot!! Thanks to bones for passing on the gif! :rofl

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Just gave the Black Muddy River and really thought it was fantastic. All the shit talking happening on some other websites is mind blowing. I thought the reason we liked the Grateful Dead and it subsequent post-bands is because of the willingness to experiment in front of an audience, even if it means falling flat on it's face. I'm ALWAYS a fan of hearing a song I've heard hundreds of times being played differently than usual, even if it's not sounding as "traditional" as some wish. I give so many props to Vernon to be willing to go out there and put his own spin on that tune. I don't know his full discograohy or anything, but I've been a casual Bon Iver fan since an old friend of mine played me one of his records in 2011. BTW, the band sounds really, really good with three guitars!!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Sorry for my rant above, y’all. I’m usually a very peace love and rainbows kinda guy, but when NYC gets The Eleven, you kinda go into Alpine with high expectations. Ok I promise that’s all from me on this one. Lol
Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

acid test graduate

Post by acid test graduate » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:41 pm

I hope that microphone has an ice pack on itself today.