Energetic Lightnin in Philly

Post show reviews here and join in live setlist discussions
dr bakes

Energetic Lightnin in Philly

Post by dr bakes » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Great weekend in Philly, we pull up to the valet and i tell the guy it's great to be back in Philly and he says why did i leave. We did Delesarios for a cheese steak and then to the ferry. Catch the 630 and in our seats by 710. I love Jack Straw but this one plods along at such a slow pace I'm disappointed. Great crowd energy and everyone is soaking up the NFA>Dark Star>St Stephen my self included when they drop into a poorly placed energy killer Black Muddy River. I like the song as an encore but this didn't work for me. We catch the 2nd ferry home and run into Equinox and he graciously drives us to the Marriott. I'm happy with the show but not ecstatic.

Day 2 has me sleeping in big time and pumped up for the show. We hit Honey's in North libertines for lunch. As we walk in Jason says he thinks the guy at the table looks like Questlove , i said a little bit. Great brisquet tacos and as we are leaving i tell our waiter that the guy looks a litte like Questlove and he says that is him, there is a Roots picnic going on. We get to the lot early and go in right at 530 because the weather is iffy. Seats in the pavilion on a night like this proved to be essential. I'm very optimistic about the show, Philly energy is not to be underestimated. Bobby launches into Bucket, and it is stunningly powerful. As the opener starts rocking the crowd responds and the band feeds off the energy and absolutely explodes. This is why i go to shows and this lifts me way up. Music to close the set out has Bobby still firing on all cylinders and while I'm not a fan of Easy Answers this one is clearly the best i have seen. Set break meet ups with Boxorain and Aaron k were fun. The weather is ok but trouble is looming. They launch into Playin > Uncle John's and this is absolutely top tier GD played magnificently and then the Other One and I'm eating it up when Bobby abruptly comes to a stop and says the folks on the lawn need to come inside and leaves the stage. We wait around and they eventually tell us the show is over, as we are walking out i tell the Live Nation guy that the crowd handled it pretty well, he say yes, you should have seen how the Ozzy fans took it. Flooding on the streets and lots was substantial almost up to my knees in one spot. Home in DC by 230am and i say it's on to Spac and lets win there.
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

KC.Jones

Re: Energetic Lightnin in Philly

Post by KC.Jones » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:44 am

Nice write uo, thanks!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

AaronK

Post by AaronK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 am

I'm out on the lawn way in the back as it starts to rain. People are moving inside or trying to find shelter. I figure I'm already wet, and I'm not going to dry inside any faster. The rain gets harder and harder until there's finally just me and about 5 other people back there dancing to UJB just laughing our fool heads off. We all have the same "We're not going to get any wetter" philosophy, so we dance together for a bit, when the heavens opened for about 30 seconds. There were some pretty intense lighting flashes. At this point, I'm pretty sure the show's done for the night. I decided to head over to the ferry side and give it a few minutes before making my decision. There's a few more bolts and they postpone the show. I'm standing, wringing water out from my shirt, and I overhear some dude looking at a weather app, saying it looks like the storms coming closer, more intense and it should last a good hour.

Then there's another crack, and I'm not sure Jersey law, but in PA, it's 30 minutes after the last strike or thunderclap before they can restart, and I figure they're probably done for the night because it will just be too late after the next hour or so of lightning. So I head to the ferry, cross back into Philly and make the attempt to walk home. I live about a mile and half from the dock. I'm walking through the waterfront Philly side and another huge burst of rain comes down. By the time I get to the Moshulu parking lot, which is on a slight slant, the rushing water is making it really hard to walk, it's pushing me over and I'm sliding down the asphalt on the lot. Parking lot on the other side of Columbus Blvd is even worse. There's water at places well into my calves, and the steps up to the South St overpass looked like a cascading waterfall. I had to hold onto the handrail to keep from getting swept down the stairs.

By the time I get to Front St, it's coming down hard again. Now it's not letting up. The water is flowing down the streets, and the 100 year old sewer run-off system just can't take the volume now, so there's just lakes and rivers everywhere down South and Passyunk and Fitzwater. I can hear the water sloshing through my shoes with each step. I'm reasonably sure that my feet aren't actually touching the inside of my shoes now, it's just buffered by a wall of water. I think I'm proved right because by the time I walked through my front door, I poured a cup of water out from each boot. As my cousin Sherry so eloquently put it, it was like a shoebox of rain.

On the plus side, the first set had my first ever live "Hurts Me Too", which was a real treat.

Quite possibly the most fun I had a show.

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Ya know, looking back...the delay / storm / ferry really was big fun. They were just heating up musically and I was climbing the fungi ladder in perfect sync and then....wow man really? WWWTTTFFF :shock:

As a result...talked to the guy next me for awhile during the delay and turns out we’re doing similar shows plus lockn. Good people so we’re gonna tip a cold one or two throughout the summer. Strangers meeting strangers in the middle of a torrid electric storm. Cool stuff

Really dug the both nights...I think Bones nailed it...the setlists at this point are almost irrelevant. The energy is just so all consuming. Dr Bakes on the money...that’s why we go man. That’s why the band plays. They were popping, Bobby had the whole place in the palm of his hand and we all collectively were feeding off that energy. What else can one ask for?!

The only downfall...the feeling is addictive!! Want to do the whole tour...but as it goes, we all can’t be Griff :guitarred

Also was more than stoked to take in an acoustic Jack A Roe / Diamonds / jack straw sandwich / Hurts Me Too / Easy Answers :listen
* could be wrong but I don’t think Hurts Me Too was played again after Pig passed on...correct me if I’m wrong please *

The twist and turns are spectacular.

And grate to see the Dr!
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

MontrealJared

Post by MontrealJared » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:25 pm

I’m glad fun was had despite the weather.
I would like to know what Bakes’ answer was when asked why he ever left philly.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you.

AaronK

Post by AaronK » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Boxorain wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:23 pm
Also was more than stoked to take in an acoustic Jack A Roe / Diamonds / jack straw sandwich / Hurts Me Too / Easy Answers :listen
* could be wrong but I don’t think Hurts Me Too was played again after Pig passed on...correct me if I’m wrong please *
According to setlist.com, this was the first time played by a GD band member since 1972.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:00 pm

AaronK wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:42 pm
Boxorain wrote:
According to setlist.com, this was the first time played by a GD band member since 1972.
Phil has played it in various incarnations 7 times, but otherwise yes it is the first time for members of this band since 72.
Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:40 pm

patchthenation wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:00 pm
AaronK wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:42 pm
Boxorain wrote:
Phil has played it in various incarnations 7 times, but otherwise yes it is the first time for members of this band since 72.
Yea so first time played since 72’ when the core 4 have been together...thanks for verifying. I really enjoyed them. John does the blues / pig tunes some major justice
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~