Movie Review: Going Furthur

Post show reviews here and join in live setlist discussions
icecremekid

Movie Review: Going Furthur

Postby icecremekid » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:21 pm

I'll put this here as it's sort of related.

Last night as part of the Byron Bay International Film Festival a couple of us trekked off to the Brunswick Heads Picture house to see this Documentary. To say that I was a tad eager would be an understatement.
The opening sequences, with some cool animation and a very brief introduction to the bus and Kesey quickly devolved into a rather long winded and purposeless journey. What promised to be an exploration of an anniversary trip and how the bus has rippled through to today and it's effect on modern festival culture became boring and self congratulatory which bordered on propaganda for the hug me participation trophy generation.
The most intelligent and thoughtful parts of the experience were the words by the Greys and the visit to COSM.
I may be opinionated and slightly negative about this doco but I feel it completely missed the point and attitude that the bus conveys, very little time on Cassidy and no exploration of even the slightest notion that it is scary out there in edge city.
It wasn't all love and hugs, there were casualties along the way....
I'd really like to go furthur but "The Chief" said it best a long time ago..
"They know where it is but they don't know what it is...."

Technically the doco could be improved with some serious editing, some sequences and story-lines were thin at best and like gossamer even thinner when stretched out...
Also the time wasted on Leary and his theories had virtually no place or context.
Besides some beautiful words from Babbs (best bits imho) and some nice talks from Zane, George Walker and Roy Seburn and a pretty touching return visit to La Honda I was left wondering what the others might say...where was MG??? BG, Chet...and very few original pranksters didn't even rate a mention, and not one note about the Hell's Angels

There was some nice music and lots of smiling faces at festivals but that stuff is like shooting fish in a barrll, that's stuff that we see everyday, at shows at fests and on-line too, places like here have more to offer the scene than grandiose and propaganda-ish films that look through eyes of ecstasy not the reality of possibilities that good ol LSD can induce,

“To fathom hell or soar angelic, just take a pinch of psychedelic”

-Dr Humphry Osmond

We don't all always soar angelic and to push the idea that we do into the mainstream is at the very least remiss and possibly dangerous,

Enough from me, I'm lamenting the opportunity that these filmmakers squandered, like "Acid Christ" and so many other documents these creators have forgotten that part of a rose's beauty is it's thorns

icecremekid

Re: Movie Review: Going Furthur

Postby icecremekid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:25 pm

I feel a tad remorseful for being so critical :? but I was really trying to be honest, I just feel that propaganda is propaganda whichever way it's coloured and although I'm assuming that the filmmakers intentions were probably pure, I just feel that things need to be balanced..

I just thought about that old GD Joke

Two deadheads heard talking as they walk out of a show...

DH1, " Geez, what a dreadful show...the PA screeched, the guitar was out of tune, the bass was too low in the mix, the crowd were nasty, and the singing was woeful...."

DH2, "Yeah...it was too short too....."
:rofl

Of course I'm not saying don't see the movie, but I'm not like Trump, I don't think ANY publicity is Good publicity

Return to “Show Review”