Mayer Wants to Create a New 'Male Contract'

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
acid test graduate

Re: Mayer Wants to Create a New 'Male Contract'

Post by acid test graduate » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:44 pm

SunshineSue wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:40 pm
I have to give him credit for preaching a message of respect (if I get the gist of the rant correctly), even if it might not be what the audience wanted or expected. He might seem an odd messenger to some, but people can change, and there's a difference to me in being a 25 year old sleaze who kisses and tells (like young John) versus someone who gets angry/vindictive/aggressive when told no. It's certainly a lot easier to forgive the former, as well as grow out of it, whereas the latter behavior at any age seems a more ingrained, unacceptable character trait that may be hard to change. :think

Plus anything that annoys Tucker Carlson is fine by me... :whistle
Tugger :rofl

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:40 pm

I hear what most of you are saying, music and no blathering, however i believe we will see more musicians speaking out in the future. Not all are from the stage, Lately we have
Phil for Dr. Ford
Mayer in Baltimore
Taylor Swift for Phil B Tenn Senate
Willie Nelson for Beto O Texas Senate
Sheryl Crow at Lockn'
John k on his twitter feed

Why are we seeing this? I believe these musicians are people too who are pissed and can't help but speak out.
Willie was interviewed and they asked him about some of his fans who aren't happy with his involvement, he said he has 3 words for them. "I DON'T CARE"
Buckle up kids
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:58 pm

^ “Everybody has an opinion. Everyone has a right to an opinion.”
My man Willie Nelson

Imagine if ***** was taking advantage of 22 year old interns in the Oval Office? Wonder what those same musicians would be saying then? Same thing they said when it actually happened right? Lol. Transparency is a beautiful thing
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

Shroomopotamus

Post by Shroomopotamus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:46 pm

dr bakes wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:40 pm
I hear what most of you are saying, music and no blathering, however i believe we will see more musicians speaking out in the future. Not all are from the stage, Lately we have
Phil for Dr. Ford
Mayer in Baltimore
Taylor Swift for Phil B Tenn Senate
Willie Nelson for Beto O Texas Senate
Sheryl Crow at Lockn'
John k on his twitter feed

Why are we seeing this? I believe these musicians are people too who are pissed and can't help but speak out.
Willie was interviewed and they asked him about some of his fans who aren't happy with his involvement, he said he has 3 words for them. "I DON'T CARE"
Buckle up kids
We also had Moonalice trying to use their shows to fundraise the impeachment of Trump.
Haven't listened to them since.

There's a big difference in a musician getting political on stage than off. People put a lot of money time and effort to travel and go to shows, it's nice to do so and and not get called the enemy of mankind.

Were no musicians pissed off about the way the government was run prior to the Trump administration? Where were all the banging US Blues encores when Obama was destabilizing the world with his bombs of peace? Dead and Company has taken away so much meaning from the song.

Interesting to see what people have to say when a musician is in support of the other side.
phpBB [video]

I don't care who votes Republican, I don't care who votes Democrat, fuck both sides. If you want to use your shows for helping the world lets see some benefit shows for the Rainforest or for cleaning up the ocean or for education and art programs across the world or cancer research or legalizing weed and mushrooms.
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
Roll on forever
:jester GGW ~ 2-25-2017 :jester
There’s UFO’s over Boulder & I ain’t too surprised

LostSailor

Post by LostSailor » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It’s a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola

- Ray Davies
Elvis Is Dead :rockon

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Shroomopotamus wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:46 pm

We also had Moonalice trying to use their shows to fundraise the impeachment of Trump.
Haven't listened to them since
When a musician decides to go political at a show they know two things for certain:
- people paid money to hear music, not political propaganda
- they’re going to offend at least a few people who bought those tickets

Perfect example of this is Neil Young. I saw him in 2005 and the ENTIRE show he had impeach the President on the big screen with a picture of Bush. Every other song he just ripped on the President. Next to me was a mother of a child whom was fighting in Iraq. The lady was crying. She walked out...along with at least 1/3 of the crowd. I mean Neil was relentless. My brother was in Iraq at the time too and did it bother me....yea for a second but then I realized this is the same guy who rips on every Republican President and fights for impeachment yet thinks every Democrat President is a God Send. Dude....you gotta laugh at it. These people are the definition of transparency. They bought into the system and chose a side...defend to the end while ripping down the other side lol. I can’t imagine anything sillier.
I hope you get to a point where you hear the music and and let the spew be just what it is...spew...life’s much more enjoyable in that space :guitarred

acid test graduate

Post by acid test graduate » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:35 pm

^ sorry your brother wound up in Iraq. I'm still curious what good came out of that other than ridding the country of Saddahm. A big price to pay.

Re: That guy from the Buffalo Springfield,
I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow
But I'll oft-times have him on my T-shirt
:P

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:46 pm

acid test graduate wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:35 pm
^ sorry your brother wound up in Iraq. I'm still curious what good came out of that other than ridding the country of Saddahm. A big price to pay.

Re: That guy from the Buffalo Springfield,
I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow
But I'll oft-times have him on my T-shirt
:P
Nothing good comes of war man. My brother did 3 tours. While I was at Dead shows. And Neil. And Crosby. I feel for him. Also have huge respect for our military...necessary evil. The stronger the military the less chance of using it but the fact that that is a fact... sucks. And the fact that the good ole gov brainwashes young soldiers to believe in the greater good...when in reality it’s just for power and wealth is brutally fucked up. Imagine all those poor bastards in Vietnam? Imagine coming “home” and getting spit on??? Innocent teanagers sent to die and / or turned into savages. WTF. Lots remain the same today.
My bro and I are exact opposites but I respect the hell out of anyone who puts a uniform on...even if it’s often for the wrong reasons

(((Peace and love to anyone who’s lost someone due to war)))

Shroomopotamus

Post by Shroomopotamus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Anyone is free to say and do what they want with their shows. It doesn't ruin the music but it will ruin a desire to continue to go out to be part of their experience going forward.
There is no shortage of music to choose from out there and I don't have much of a desire to go out to what feels like someone preaching propaganda to those in a far out state of mind acting as if their own fans are all puppets of theirs who need to think the same way.
Nobody should vote one way over another because someone tells them to do so. Nobodies opinion is more or less important than anyone elses. That's why we vote.
It's good for people to have differences in opinions when their opinions are their own. It's a sign of a functioning brain.
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
Roll on forever
:jester GGW ~ 2-25-2017 :jester
There’s UFO’s over Boulder & I ain’t too surprised

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Shroomopotamus wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:55 pm
Anyone is free to say and do what they want with their shows. It doesn't ruin the music but it will ruin a desire to continue to go out to be part of their experience going forward.
There is no shortage of music to choose from out there and I don't have much of a desire to go out to what feels like someone preaching propaganda to those in a far out state of mind acting as if their own fans are all puppets of theirs who need to think the same way.
Nobody should vote one way over another because someone tells them to do so. Nobodies opinion is more or less important than anyone elses. That's why we vote.
It's good for people to have differences in opinions when their opinions are their own. It's a sign of a functioning brain.

Couldn’t agree more man. Well said. And as far as saying it doesn’t ruin the music but it will ruin a desire to go back...I hear ya. David Crosby, one of my all time fav vocalists, will be 9 mins from my house next month. Not going. Even tho I agree with much of what’s he’s saying...doesn’t matter if I agreed 100%. Dropping $100 for a reprieve... not to be reminded of the same old bullshit. At least the old crusties have remained consistent, even if transparent. The cool guy Mayer’s all of a sudden preaching the hot topic word, even tho his past is the exact opposite...horseshit look at me I’m the most compassionate coolest person in the room. Okay dude...take another ego pill would ya