Mayer Wants to Create a New 'Male Contract'

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
KC.Jones

Mayer Wants to Create a New 'Male Contract'

Post by KC.Jones » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:47 pm

From TMZ:

"John Mayer wants to can the idea that men must be alpha males and take what they want -- including women -- and replace it with a new doctrine focused on respect and sensitivity.

The guitar-slinging crooner was doing a cancer benefit show Sunday night at the Modell Performing Arts Center in Baltimore when he went off on a tangent about toxic masculinity, which he called a "bulls**t" alpha male contract that's nailed into boys' heads from a young age.

He says the sentiment that a man should get an erection at the sight of every woman he wants is crap. John added the so-called "trauma" men might feel when a woman turns them down ... is something men just have to get over.

His new idea on how to raise boys ... teach 'em that the world isn't theirs, and they're not definitely not entitled to every woman. It's worth noting this rant came right after John performed "Daughters."

He never calls him by name, but it's pretty clear John's referring to newly sworn-in Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

There was some awkward silence as he made his point, but eventual applause once he got it all out. He later apologized for talking about such a sensitive subject during the concert."
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

Boxorain

Re: Mayer Wants to Create a New 'Male Contract'

Post by Boxorain » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Lol...it’s so cool now to be the cool guy with all the hot PC comments of the day. Unfortunately John, you blabbed the opposite for years. People change tho...to his credit.

Men are born with a drive to reproduce. That’s what occupies our minds from 16 to whenever. I say in fun, It’s called “chasing women” to do what we were born to do...reproduce. Just like ever other creature on the planet does. And if you’re raised correctly, you do so with respect and admiration. There’s no difference between a man and a women in that we’re just beings. Human beings. I never understood what’s so hard to understand about that. Treat people the way you want to be treated. “Don’t be an asshole” as Willie likes to say. Yet humans continually argue about it and make the all important look at me proclamations. God...it’s really a simple concept. Just be kind
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

LostSailor

Post by LostSailor » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Can't wait to hear The New Appologetic Minglewood Blues :cheer:
Last edited by LostSailor on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Elvis Is Dead :rockon

LostSailor

Post by LostSailor » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:35 pm

Great new stuff from The Man
Elvis Is Dead :rockon

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:40 pm

I have to give him credit for preaching a message of respect (if I get the gist of the rant correctly), even if it might not be what the audience wanted or expected. He might seem an odd messenger to some, but people can change, and there's a difference to me in being a 25 year old sleaze who kisses and tells (like young John) versus someone who gets angry/vindictive/aggressive when told no. It's certainly a lot easier to forgive the former, as well as grow out of it, whereas the latter behavior at any age seems a more ingrained, unacceptable character trait that may be hard to change. :think

Plus anything that annoys Tucker Carlson is fine by me... :whistle

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:01 pm

This world we live in is all about image and criticizing the messenger of that image if they don’t socially align with our beliefs. If we’re being honest with ourselves, we all fall victim to it. If Kid Rock said this he’d be torn apart and called a hypocrite by the mass media b/c his beliefs don’t align with theirs. John Mayer says it and it’s like, “okay...well people change”. And some of his recent interviews over the last decade could be labeled with all the popular “ist’s” people like to carelessly throw around today. He wasn’t a teenager when he said these things. And like I said earlier, people change...so good on him if he’s being authentic but the social transparency is so obvious. Human frailty

brbadg

Post by brbadg » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Sometimes you need to pick and choose what you say when you are a celebrity.
I will never be the one to say "shut up and play your guitar".
This kind of stuff might sound better coming out of someone else's mouth.

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:11 pm

brbadg wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 pm
Sometimes you need to pick and choose what you say when you are a celebrity.
I will never be the one to say "shut up and play your guitar".
This kind of stuff might sound better coming out of someone else's mouth.
Couldn’t agree more. I’m at the point now that if a musician starts going on a rant, I just assume walk out and go catch the free bar band across the street. It’s not that I don’t agree with most of what they’re saying it’s just that most of us go to shows to get away from the noise...not intermingle the noise with the beauty of the music. Lots work 50 - 60 hr weeks, have a spouse, children...responsibility after responsibility. lucky to get 6hrs of alone time just to sleep. So looking forward to a show all week is a BIG deal. But then to interrupt the beauty of music to make a proclamation about the same old noise you hear all week....It’s tiresome. Was so happy Neil expressed his message through his music rather than ranting during this last tour. Twas a beautiful production

bones

Post by bones » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 pm

agree

i dont go out to hear the same noise i hear at the water cooler at work or from the big heads on tv day in day out

there's so....maybe too much of it already...i really ugh dont need to hear it from a stage from a performer / performance that i PAID to hear

i need to get away from it....whether its outdoor wildlife or indoor wildlife :mrgreen:
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

11/1 Live Dead 69 Londonderry NH
11/6 Elton John Boston
11/9 DSO Lowell
11/15, 16 Weir Boston
11/20 DSO Concord NH
11/29 TTB
11/30 Joan, Anders & Robert Randolph do Dylan
12/1 TTB

Shroomopotamus

Post by Shroomopotamus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:41 pm