Music and its effects on the mind

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
Shroomopotamus

Music and its effects on the mind

Post by Shroomopotamus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:07 am

In a series of hopefully coherent and comprehensible thought

The effect of sound, tones and music on the human mind.

Every sound can have varied effects on the mind much like a good thought or a a bad thought, being told a compliment or being yelled at, or hearing a happy song or a sad song.

The way sound is received will lead to mind alterations on the sound alone.

Example on a lyrical stand point through the words of Bob Marley

"Don't worry about a thing cause every little thing gonna be all right"

You get hit with a thought of positivity. Not only as a musical lyric but interpreted by your mind as a thought of its own and in turn you get hit with a moment of profound peace, happiness and positivity.

Through music we have an endless variety of sounds and tones, every sound having its own effect on the mind which can lead to positivity, negativity or perhaps some are neutral and balanced and maybe some lead to emotion the human mind doesn't know how to interpret at all

Sound is sound and the brain will interpret a musical note as a thought of its own just as it would a lyric whether the person hearing said sound understands it's meaning or not.

This can lead to music heavily focused on certain sound with certain tone can lead to immense greater positivity than others. Sometimes you hear music and you can't help but smile.

The visualization of sound ~ Rather than the mind simply visualizing a representation of the sound it is receiving, sound recorded in a set way each sound with it's specific tone would essentially build a visual blueprint which can be experienced again and again.

Example - Dark Star - Rather than the mind hearing space sounds and in turn visualizing space, the mind of its creator is stored away in the music itself, the tones your brain is interpreting from Jerry exploring the cosmic realm are the very same tones your brain is receiving and experiencing in the same timeline of note to note throughout song after song of exploratory beauty put together in the same structure creating the same or similar visual interpretation though perhaps altered from volume adjustments and vibrancy emitted

The vibrancy of sound emitted throughout music - perhaps not only leading to bodily sensations you feel in a physical noticeable point through music, but perhaps alter the way sound is being received as if making one sound that stays the same almost like a whole new sound to the mind in its effect.

Example - Hearing Drums>Space in person vs through Headphones vs through computer speakers vs playing on the radio
You hear the same thing but you experience it differently.

The idea of medicinal music comes to mind.

People frequently speak of music having healing powers which I wholeheartedly believe to be of truth. I have had experiences through music that I believe altered my mind in ways I couldn't be more grateful for most notably triggering my mind to no longer have a gravitation toward alcohol which in turn has led to truly fully experiencing thought and sound and music in true clarity like never before and resulting in everything I'm typing out now.

Sound generated through music you don't receive in regular day to day life without in a sense would be like never experiencing a certain emotion.

Perhaps the variety of emotion is far greater than we currently comprehend and certain sounds lead to these varied emotion we essentially aren't experiencing the mind to its full capability without music, essentially making music as essential as vitamins and minerals and essentially through experiencing alone results in mind exercise in a sense.

Maybe this is all nonsense. Maybe there's something to this. Maybe a bit of both.
I believe in the magic of music and I frequently wonder about its true effects on the mind and wanted to ramble on a bit about it.

Feel free to share thoughts and experiences of your own for science

:bears2
Last edited by Shroomopotamus on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
Roll on forever
:jester GGW ~ 2-25-2017 :jester
There’s UFO’s over Boulder & I ain’t too surprised

Shroomopotamus

Re: Music and its effects on the mind

Post by Shroomopotamus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Additional thoughts that led to this thread that I completely failed to touch up on.

Metallic objects in peoples mouth, teeth, head, brain, body

I for one have a real thin little wire glued on the back of a few of my teeth from the dentist when I was young. Maybe some screws in a knee too, I don't really remember.

I've been thinking about this a bit since Dead and Company recently came around

The idea the something like a metallic dentistry object could act as a receiver of some kind altering the way music is perceived/received/felt &/or interpreted maybe even bringing a whole new connection of sound directly to the mind rather than strictly through auditory and vibrancy means like a human satellite.

Everyone hears music, many people feel music, but only few people seem to truly experience music. It's an interesting subject to me.

Again, just ramblin' on thoughts unspoken I figure someone may enjoy hearing.
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
Roll on forever
:jester GGW ~ 2-25-2017 :jester
There’s UFO’s over Boulder & I ain’t too surprised

KC.Jones

Re: Music and its effects on the mind

Post by KC.Jones » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:09 pm

A life without music would be a life not worth living...

I'm still often surprised by how much of a spiritual high music can give me.

The way in which instruments and vocal cords transmit sound waves that are then interpreted by our ear drums can have effects on our brains and body is mind boggling. Who would ever think those physical waves of sound could have an effect on our nervous systems by inducing goose bumps, or on our soul by inducing us to having a grin ear from ear or sobbing from the emotional impact is what brings me back to chasing bands and music around the country.... to take me to that high that I've yet to experience from any other drug. Music is the ultimate drug we're seeking.

Sometimes those sounds waves can truly humble you, as they did for me last night during the Tedeschi Trucks Band concert I was at last night.

Life is good and the music is hot.

:grouphug

:terrapinnation!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know