Fan Behavior

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
touch of rain

Fan Behavior

Post by touch of rain » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:40 pm

To follow up on my previous post ... appalling may be too strong a word for what I observed. :) I haven't been to shows like this in decades, and was also in a bit of culture shock! I do know some of this comes with the territory. And I also met many wonderful generous kind people! (Did I mention the free mushrooms?) And the music ... the music ... the music ...

The usual stoners/drunkies weren't the problem (Geez, I got puked on at my first Dead concert (Roosevelt Stadium, NJ, 76) my boyfriend went bare chested for the rest of the show, thankfully it was a hot August day.) I sensed an overall edginess I've never seen before. (Perhaps because the entire world is on edge these days?) Lots of little things, but it added up to a Shoreline vibe that wasn't as chilled as I had hoped for, and at times, felt quite aggressive and uneasy.

A noticeable number of my attempts to have a casual conversation were rudely rebuffed (ignored, walked away from, car door (with "Deadhead" plates!) pretty much shut in my face) Of course, you can't know how other people are feeling, etc, but the fact that we even noted this attitude more than a few times, and from a certain older demographic, was slightly demoralizing.

I saw 2.5 unpleasant altercations on Shakedown among vendors (I ran away at the first sounds, so not sure how far it escalated). Seemed to be older established vendors with big set ups going on about "you're in my space" (there was plenty of space!) to kids trying to sell a few bits and bobs.

But as Griff said, crowding and talking, along with phone usage, were big enough problems that at times made it hard for me to focus on the music. Incessant talking! I was horizontal at one point zoning out to an incredible jam, only to overhear a teenaged conversation behind me about poop. And it wasn't just the kids. Constant distracting chatter, didn't matter if the band was singing, jamming or blowing kisses. When this has happened in the stands, there's usually room to just move away. But this wasn't possible where we were at Shoreline.

Which leads to the crowding, the main reason I don't do pit/floor tickets any more. Back in the day, if you were on the field, especially close to the stage, the trade off was you were pretty much stuck - you stayed where you were for the whole show. But I was surprised to find it just as crowded on large parts of the lawn.

The first night we got in late and were near the top, couldn't see the screen or the stage. The second night we were about 1/3 - 1/2 up near the edge of the screen. (Only one screen - one or two more would have really helped and spread people out.) We tried to settle ourselves in a reasonable but comfortable way, forming a lovely tribe with our neighbors. By show time, the area was crowded, but we generally had space to dance around and maneuver.

But there was also no easy way to get across the densely packed bottom half of the lawn. Which led to a continuous stream of people trying to make their way through, often with total disregard to or acknowledgement of where they were stepping. or rather, who they were stepping on. Again, it was difficult to focus on the music while trying to protect your limbs from being trod on. (Of course, there were also those who apologized profusely and stopped to share a smoke. :D And it went both ways; one lady started yelling at people not to walk on her blanket. In the end, I didn't actually have enough room for trippy (or any) dancing without smacking a passerby. (I also think the easy, albeit expensive, availability of big cans of beer contributed to the foot traffic and behaviour).

Perhaps the mists of time have blurred my memories, but I also didn't get the same vibes at Autzen (or Folsom and Citifield last year) so maybe some of it is due to the California sunshine and Shoreline set-up. I found stadium seating much easier to deal with. Could be my lawn days are done (unless I resign myself to being way up top or in the lawn reserved section.) I may just be too old for this shit. ;) :? :rofl :woo

PS The fan girl in me really came out the last night, instead of a nasty traffic jam to get out of the area, cars from the lot we parked in were directed on to the 15 mph winding maintenance road which led directly to the freeway, and I was like "We're on the band road! The band was just on this road!" Rather sad, really. :bears2
It takes time to pick a place to go ...
:smileys-passing-joint

rippleish20

Re: Fan Behavior

Post by rippleish20 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:51 pm

My first Dead shows was in 77 so we are presumably on the same age range. Some of your new revelations may simply be that you are older and less tolerant of the crowds, etc. I have almost no desire to go to large stadium shows or shows that are super crowded period anymore. I find myself enjoying shows at smaller venues/festivals a lot more. But there also has seemingly been a change in peoples behavior over time. People seem to show less respect for others - as illustrated by the incessant talking at shows.

Tone Weaver

Post by Tone Weaver » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Thanks to MTV and "Touch of Gray" audiences were becoming less Deadheads and more kids looking for a party and cool scene. They tended to become a bit of a drag, but we hoped they would chill and pay attention to the music. Many did just that, but the newbies of the '90s tended to chatter more too. (We tapers were hyper sensitive to the drunks, chatterbugs and howlers that intruded in our space.)

By the time of the Furthur years, many of the younger ones who never saw Jerry tended to show up for a party more than the music. The level of chatter was getting bad. But that scene was mellowed by smaller venues and less hype. Now I miss those days.

Then came Deadco and the Mayer fans... I like the fact that more people dig the music, but sometimes the chatterbugs really bug me.

It's probably a generational thing too. More phones, texting, and other distractions. Kids theses days, eh? I'm too polite to say, "Shut up and listen", so maybe we just need stronger doses for more people?

Nothing that a good Orange Barrel or Window Pane won't settle down. :D

On the plus side, there's a lot less tobacco smoke in the air. So, win a few, lose a few.

Kevman

Post by Kevman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 pm

I can relate. Has the incessant talking gotten out of control or am I just being too sensitive? I too am leaning toward smaller venues for shows, although when we went to see Bobby & Phil in Chicago there were some people behind us that simply would not shut up.

My one DeadCo show this year (Deer Creek) was met with people sitting in our pavilion seats that we had to kick out, then a family directly in front of us who had their kids on their shoulders the whole show blocking our view. Oh yeah, lots of talking as well. Not the best show of my career.

Last winter we went to Jam in the Sand for DSO in Jamaica and that was ideal. Just a few hundred people and lots of room to groove on the beach. Plus everyone was focused on the music and not talking the whole time! What a concept!

PS, I miss Furthur.

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:53 pm

I'm so sorry you had ugly crowd experiences!! The part that really bothers me is unfriendliness and unwillingness to chat in the lot, that's definitely not what I expect from this community, imho. As for the crowd part, that would be why I likely won't go to any more stadium shows, or even really big outdoor shows. The cons just started to outweigh the pros for me. So glad I went to Folsom for one run for the experience, but it also confirmed my love for smaller venues. I feel so lucky to have seen DeadCo at 6,000 seat Broomfield before they went so big. :think

How about a Furthur 2019 10-year reunion run at Red Rocks?! :mrgreen:

NobleGlass

Post by NobleGlass » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm

10 year reunion shows?! Jeez I'm getting old.

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:50 pm

I think the 2 dudes behind me set a Guiness world record for longest conversation without stopping. Literally were in deep conversation from the first note of Iko through US Blues. I don't know if the guy took a breath. I was thinking there is nothing on this planet I could talk about for that deeply for that long ... absolutely amazing. I'd rather be next to the texters all night then the talkers.
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

Griff

Post by Griff » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Well friends.....sadly everything written is true. Talking. Texting. Drunks spilling beers. Kids making fun of you. Space killers. Yep. All of that has happened to me at one point or another..........at every show this tour. Wow.

Pit, lawn or otherwise there is no hiding. But to me there are better set ups then others. Dodger stadium had a wide pit....so us hippies could be on the side dancing crazy with people totally in to it by ourselves. Football stadiums don't allow for that.

I have been blessed this tour with 95% of my shows/space having a great vibe. That other 5%, the two people who have passed out like last night and Chula, well fuck, what are we going to do.

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Griff wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm
Well friends.....sadly everything written is true. Talking. Texting. Drunks spilling beers. Kids making fun of you. Space killers. Yep. All of that has happened to me at one point or another..........at every show this tour. Wow.

Pit, lawn or otherwise there is no hiding. But to me there are better set ups then others. Dodger stadium had a wide pit....so us hippies could be on the side dancing crazy with people totally in to it by ourselves. Football stadiums don't allow for that.

I have been blessed this tour with 95% of my shows/space having a great vibe. That other 5%, the two people who have passed out like last night and Chula, well fuck, what are we going to do.
Hahaha yep. In the end what you gonna do? Can't control people, they're going to do what they want. Use your concert experience to set yourself up for the best experience you can have despite the conditions. That's all you can do 8-)
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:05 pm

We made these for the shows. Actually my wife did. Sent them all around the country. Passed them out beforehand. Not really during the show. Unless there was an incessant talker. We still have more. PM me your address and we can send you a handful.