A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
Denver Man

Re: Rail Viewing

Post by Denver Man » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:18 am

strangerinboulder wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:08 pm
jpwv13 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:05 pm
Thanks for the replies and Happy Birthday wishes. Cant think of a better way to celebrate 40 than to be doing something I wanted to do when I was 15, but missed the chance!
It's my dad's birthday + best friend's anniversary date. Plus it's Friday the 13th, with a new moon in Boulder. Yowza!
Nice! It's my wife's birthday the 13th as well. :cake And she's older than 40 and never been on the rail either :whistle Not that she would want to do that anyway :rofl Going to make for a crazy Friday the 13th though!!
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

MontrealJared

Post by MontrealJared » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:39 am

Denver Man wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:18 am
strangerinboulder wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:08 pm
jpwv13 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:05 pm
Thanks for the replies and Happy Birthday wishes. Cant think of a better way to celebrate 40 than to be doing something I wanted to do when I was 15, but missed the chance!
It's my dad's birthday + best friend's anniversary date. Plus it's Friday the 13th, with a new moon in Boulder. Yowza!
Nice! It's my wife's birthday the 13th as well. :cake And she's older than 40 and never been on the rail either :whistle Not that she would want to do that anyway :rofl Going to make for a crazy Friday the 13th though!!
My dad’s birthday is also July 13.
But he won’t be at Folsom
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you.

jpwv13

Post by jpwv13 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Until reading these posts it did not dawn on me that it will be Friday the 13th. Should be interesting. I dont think I have it in me to fight for the front. I'll just get as close as I can.

Thanks for all the replies.

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Birthday's for everyone !

MontrealJared

Post by MontrealJared » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:52 pm

They were talking about Rockstar Richard during Tales From The Golden Road today. I didn’t catch the entire show. But some people called in and said they have met him and he was a nice guy. What is the controversy surrounding him?
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you.

Griff

Post by Griff » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:11 am

This is cool. It would have been my dad's 92 birthday Saturday the 14th. Bastille day. My sis and my boy will be representing ol pop that night.

While he became conservative in his later years, as a young man he was a poet and writer in Paris. Total hippie.

As for Richard, saw him last njght after the he show. He's always on the rail so that's people problem.......they are jealous. Nice guy.

Searchingforthesound

Post by Searchingforthesound » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:25 pm

My first 2 shows were Feb 1973 @ Univ of IL Assembly Hall. Very small GA section, which made it possible to wander up to the rail for a while, then take a break & move back a little, then wander back up if you like. I did so both nights, usually right in front of Phil.
Next show, Des Moines, June 1974. Not quits as much freedom of movement, but we were about 15-20 back from the rail in front of Jerry (& the Wall of Sound)
Next shows, all the 1970's shows at Red Rocks, again, a little farther back, & no opportunity to get up close once your area was established, but afforded a view of the plains behind the stage.
Boulder 1980, sat in reserved, but the stage was on about the 20 yard closest to the horseshoe end of the stadium @ Folsom Field, facing the horseshoe, so still not bad. Also was miracled a handful of sugar cubes from an old friend who claimed it was Owsley...whether it was or not, I don't know, but is was unlike anything I had ever done prior (which was saying something) & decided I was done with LSD unless I ever happen to run into my old buddy again :P
1988 Alpine Valley shows....had to park on the Interstate (wtf??) & hike to the venue....good shows, but a logistical nightmare.
Gave it one more go in July 1990, Brent's last shows, but after that, between Brent not there anymore, Jerry's failing health, the need to play arenas that would accommodate 100K people, & the overall darker vibe of the scene, I pretty much lost interest in going to shows.
So lots of Grate memories of shows both right at the rail or all the way in the back.

touch of rain

Post by touch of rain » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:15 pm

I got to the rail at Ventura County Fairgrounds in 84 for the second set. It was my birthday (7/21/84) and I was tripping. It was a super hot day and during the break, the crowds happily parted for me and MY WATER PISTOL - Hi, it's my birthday. (squirt squirt) can I come through.

:jumpclap :listen :rockon :rockon
It takes time to pick a place to go ...
:smileys-passing-joint