Rail Viewing

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
jpwv13

Rail Viewing

Post by jpwv13 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:34 am

Hi, all.

I am heading to the Boulder shows next week and would like to watch Friday's show from the rail as it is my 40th birthday. Any advice on how to best make it up that far is appreciated. Not sure it is possible since I believe the VIP tix get in early. I believe the general admission gates open 1 hour prior to show kickoff. If I cannot get that close is there another prime spot in GA to watch a show in a stadium?

Thanks for all replies.

Josh

Griff

Re: Rail Viewing

Post by Griff » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:09 pm

:cake happy birthday.

Other than at TXR, I have never once been on the rail in 37 years. Lol. But I talked to some folks at the pool Tuesday who are railers along with Rockstar Richard (who I met at the Gorge......nice guy).

They said it is not as crowded as one would expect and that they teach folks to not crowd. Sounded intriguing. They invited me to hang out with them in San Diego. Really nice.

I can't give you a better description than 2 couples, from NYC, one dude tall and his gf roundish with red hair. Lol. I am not good at describing things.

bones

Post by bones » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:31 pm

saw deadco from pit 3x this tour - once as VIP in SPAC - pretty much 2nd row all night

Mansfield maybe 4 "rows" back on Jeff side...Hartford 4 to 6 rows back Oteil side

i would say 1st 2 rows are kinda established by VIP early entry

that being said in a normal sized pit u could be on the rail on the side(s) if u really wanted to...helps if u r a cute female if u get in there late & WANNA SQUEEZE IN...sorry but it's true :whistle

i would recommend Oteil side as it is way less crowded that the middle with Mayer & the Bobstar...and on Jeff's side it is hard to see entire band over/around his keys...

in past deadco tours in pit (Albany, Philly, Woosta, Fenway x3, Citi on field) usually stay close within 4 to 6 rows for entire 1st set, tend to be further back or on sides for 2nd set - more room to dance or just breathe, but can move up during drums as hordes of people leave :idea:

i am usually with someone else or group of 4 so finding/getting back to a space never been an issue

I have never had an issue with pushy people in the pit like I have at some regular GA shows - like a lot of Phil shows 2nd set at the Cap etc.

BOTTOM LINE - ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE - GO WITH THE FLOW - THE FOLKS DANCING AROUND YOU, ETC :jumpeveryone
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

11/1 Live Dead 69 Londonderry NH
11/6 Elton John Boston
11/9 DSO Lowell
11/15, 16 Weir Boston
11/20 DSO Concord NH
11/30 Joan, Anders & Robert Randolph do Dylan

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm

jpwv13 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:34 am
Hi, all.

I am heading to the Boulder shows next week and would like to watch Friday's show from the rail as it is my 40th birthday. Any advice on how to best make it up that far is appreciated. Not sure it is possible since I believe the VIP tix get in early. I believe the general admission gates open 1 hour prior to show kickoff. If I cannot get that close is there another prime spot in GA to watch a show in a stadium?

Thanks for all replies.

Josh
[/qu

Happy birthday...albeit prematurely. I have field ga. I will be dead centered about half way between the stage + the board. Best of luck + enjoy!

jpwv13

Post by jpwv13 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks for the replies and Happy Birthday wishes. Cant think of a better way to celebrate 40 than to be doing something I wanted to do when I was 15, but missed the chance!

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:08 pm

jpwv13 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:05 pm
Thanks for the replies and Happy Birthday wishes. Cant think of a better way to celebrate 40 than to be doing something I wanted to do when I was 15, but missed the chance!
It's my dad's birthday + best friend's anniversary date. Plus it's Friday the 13th, with a new moon in Boulder. Yowza!

Shroomopotamus

Post by Shroomopotamus » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:05 am

People start sprinting the second the gates open. Good luck.

First ones to the bathroom and water are the real winners :D
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
Roll on forever
:jester GGW ~ 2-25-2017 :jester
There’s UFO’s over Boulder & I ain’t too surprised

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:31 am

It sounds like they let in vip first, (i saw the vip line at spac, 200 heads including rock star Richard and Bones,)then first in line. Personally i can do side rail at Gypsy sally's 1st set then upper level 2nd set.
:colorwave
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:48 am

Definitely concur that the Otiel /Phil side seemed more open in the pit shows i have seen.
:jumpeveryone
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

strangerinboulder

Post by strangerinboulder » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:08 am

I like doing the rails at smaller, usually indoor venues. But all other shows, am usually dead centered