Mother American Night

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
Boxorain

Mother American Night

Post by Boxorain » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:35 pm

I’m hesitant in writing a review about anything because inevitably it will be misleading as it only represents a singular viewpoint...but here goes:

First and foremost, enjoyed the read. I wouldn’t have kept reading if the interest wasn’t there. Greenfield did a great job keeping each chapter short and sweet. Basically every 3 page chapter is a chapter of Barlow’s life. Man...did that cat get around. Lived nine lives for sure. In typical fashion of successful people, he got involved in subject matter he knew absolutely nothing about but his passion and confidence always led the way. He wasn’t afraid to learn, wasn’t afraid to lead and wasn’t afraid to enter uncharted waters...hence people followed. He was a great example of how to pursue one’s dreams rather than wallow in doubt.

Now with that said, the greatest risk takers usually have the greatest degree of self doubt...they just use that doubt as a driving force rather than an anchor. JBP was no exception and did this on so many levels...quite inspiring.

The book is filled with many interesting stories and insight, especially about Bobby and Jerry. I’ve always had the sense that John wanted Bob to acknowledge him a bit more, be accepted by the band as a whole a bit more and in general, just feel the love a bit more. The book only confirmed this to me. I think he yearned for a general loving acceptance from the band that he never did receive. Hence, he’s not hesitant to voice his opinion about other people’s opinions within the circle. That’s dangerous territory. There’s a few of his opinions voiced that I didn’t feel necessary. There’s a few jabs directly aimed at Bobby that seemed unnecessary...yet he felt needed to be aired. There’s a strange undercurrent of homosexuality that he weaves throughout the book and always felt the need to mention that Bobby was nearby. For instance, he’d tell a story and say something along the lines of, “I went to Bobby’s house and he was hanging with his gay friend”....just not sure why one’s sexuality matters unless it’s pertinent to the story. He also mentioned when they wrote Mexicali Blues that he went to Mexico with Bobby and a gay man who ended up being Jon McIntire. Later saying he personally hooked up with Jon only to conclude that it wasn’t his thing. Fine story but I got the feeling he was trying to tell a larger story within a story...without being the one to actually tell the story. This undercurrent was felt throughout the book. Good piece of writing to achieve this, just felt a little out of place and unnecessary to the whole. Similar to the darkness he portrayed around Jerry. The first story he shares about their encounter is when he was eyeballing Mountain Girl (to which he denied), Jerry noticed and basically forever gave him a degree of the cold shoulder. His further writing in regards to Jerry felt transparent to me and was just a reflection of how Jerry felt about him. Another part of the story that appeared a bit calculated.

In a weird self defeating yet self promoting way, I got the sense he really wanted everyone to know just how important John Perry Barlow is and was to the world. A scholar’s scholar. The lack of humility always leaves some residue behind. Yet, another quality that a high percentage of leaders seem to possess. The one’s at the top of their field usually have a healthy stroke of arrogance...I think he was no different.

Overall, glad I read it but I wouldn’t put it at the very top of recommended GD reading. A story that should be read but not necessarily a book that would be picked up for a second time anytime soon. But make no mistake, Very Very thankful for all the words, music and vision...GD world wouldn’t have been the same without him.
Last edited by Boxorain on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

KC.Jones

Re: Mother American Night

Post by KC.Jones » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks for the well thought out review. I definitely want to read this at some point in time.
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

perry

Post by perry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 pm

thanks, picked it up for my upcoming vaca. Does he cover the fact one of his daughter's is Weir's spitting image? :whistle

bones

Post by bones » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:36 pm

perry wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 pm
thanks, picked it up for my upcoming vaca. Does he cover the fact one of his daughter's is Weir's spitting image? :whistle
i just couldnt get over that either...
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

11/1 Live Dead 69 Londonderry NH
11/6 Elton John Boston
11/9 DSO Lowell
11/15, 16 Weir Boston
11/20 DSO Concord NH
11/29 TTB
11/30 Joan, Anders & Robert Randolph do Dylan
12/1 TTB

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 pm

He didn’t...but he did talk about wanting to immediately have more kids at his first was born :think
Was free loving / sharing back then :hop
It is uncanny
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Just finished this book. It was a fantastic read and I recommend it to all. I don't have a lengthy review to write, but what I can say is I came for more knowledge on the Grateful Dead and left with that and several great life lessons and new philosophies on life that I intend to use for the rest of my life. Specifically what he writes about accepting love. Great book. Read it if you haven't yet.
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know