Boxorain

Re: Social Media

Post by Boxorain » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:57 pm

That was a real good read KC, thanks for posting
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

stricken

Post by stricken » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 am

I know who my friends are and I have plenty of them and if I feel they need to know I tell them face to face or by phone and last ditch effort is a text.thats as far as it goes with the big exception with posting here.
facebook is for the people who never really developed the skills to establish long lasting as well as meaningful relationships.
see you can hide the asshole inside on facebook because nobody ever gets to see your actions other than what you promote but in real life the actions are what separate the real people from the fake ones on facebook.
This one band I run sound for swears by the promotion on facebook. this past Saturday I walked the crowd small venue with say 30 or so people. NONE even seen the post of the show. I recorded this and sent the footage to the represented member and now he says where else should I promote.
I told him some posters couldn't hurt and when you play some place there needs to be posters a month ahead of time. plus if it was my band all telephone poles would have posters hell I might even glue it fast.
Sorry if I wandered off topic but I had this facebook thing figured out ten years ago. I'm glad to see others that recognize it for what it is waste of good time.

touch of rain

Post by touch of rain » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:18 am

I use facebook for two main things: 1) ascertaining that my millennial nieces and nephews are still among the living and 2) keeping in (sometimes vague) touch with the many many friends I have around the world through years of travelling and teaching EFL. I too have fallen into the checking facebook far too much trap and deleting it from the phone is a brilliant idea ... pause ... done.

I'm in a few groups/follow a few pages on facebook and the general level of nastiness seems to have grown exponentially through the years. Dead and Co is a perfect example. The comments can get very mean-spirited. I was absolutely disgusted by some of the responses to Bobby's repost about Candace Brightman. The smaller or restricted groups I'm in are generally ok, but even those can go off track.

I do post on facebook occasionally, generally to show off how witty and clever I can be. :jumpclap

Smartphones have become a huge problem in my classes. I have had almost physical altercations with students who refuse to put away their phones. They seem to think it's fine to be on facebook during, for example, a listening exercise, and then can't understand why they fail. Nomophobia is a real thing and is the fastest growing phobia in the world!
It takes time to pick a place to go ...
:smileys-passing-joint

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:01 am

Striken, i agree on the fb advertising...way overrated and non effective. Just as nobody cares to see a picture of your recent baked lasagna, nobody wants to see your business advertised over and over.

Yeah Touch, Smartphones = distractions. The article KC posted is lengthy but spot on. Funny how the inventors of all this technology are now venturing back to the old style writing / note taking / listening / no computer teaching models for their children...and paying huge money to do so!

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:00 pm

You can't go back and you can't stand still ...

And 10, 20, 30 years from now there will be further technological advances. Who knows what people will be doing then... There are advantages and disadvantages to everything, including social media. I consider TN to be social media, and I have personally met and am friends with quite a few people on this board. So social media is cool for that. I disagree about advertising. Hell anymore you don't even know what's going on with bands, like JK for example, unless you're taking a peek at social media. I'm cool with trying to keep up with technology, at least a little. The trolls are what make it garbage. If you take them serious, you're in for a long day. In the end, like most things, if you like it and get benefit from it who am I to say anything? If you don't like it, don't want to use it, hey man it's all good....
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

acid test graduate

Post by acid test graduate » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Denver Man wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:00 pm
You can't go back and you can't stand still ...

And 10, 20, 30 years from now there will be further technological advances. Who knows what people will be doing then... There are advantages and disadvantages to everything, including social media. I consider TN to be social media, and I have personally met and am friends with quite a few people on this board. So social media is cool for that. I disagree about advertising. Hell anymore you don't even know what's going on with bands, like JK for example, unless you're taking a peek at social media. I'm cool with trying to keep up with technology, at least a little. The trolls are what make it garbage. If you take them serious, you're in for a long day. In the end, like most things, if you like it and get benefit from it who am I to say anything? If you don't like it, don't want to use it, hey man it's all good....

10, 20, 30 years from now.....
Every time I've driven by the house on I-70 where the movie "Sleeper" was filmed I wonder how long before we can have one of those Orbs they passed around, or maybe an Orgasmatron? I think those would be popular enough for most to forget about the social media craze.

acid test graduate

Post by acid test graduate » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:31 pm

I've had a facebook account, but don't upload anything of significance. Nor do I use my real name. I enjoyed reading JP Barlow's twitter feed. I don't know if I'd consider this board social media, not in the traditional sense.

Can you imagine if you were Jeffrey Bezos and had access to the Facebook data base? I don't think you could put a price on what all that information is worth. It blows me away how people post their whole lives on facebook; where they live, work, pictures of themselves, their kids, etc., etc. All that information would make a perfect opportunity to market to users based on what they display.

As far as this guy is concerned.... And he did admittedly say this. Do you trust him?
th copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:52 pm

A forum where anyone in the world can create an account and start posting stuff/replying to stuff is social media. The only difference between TN and traditional social media is that TN has moderators that have to grant access before you open an account. The old Furthur board was the traditional sign up and you're on.
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Denver Man wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:52 pm
A forum where anyone in the world can create an account and start posting stuff/replying to stuff is social media. The only difference between TN and traditional social media is that TN has moderators that have to grant access before you open an account. The old Furthur board was the traditional sign up and you're on.
I hear what you're saying but only to an extent. If you starting trolling someone on this site or started posted offensive commentary...you'd be thrown off. The stuff that posted on FB, twitter etc is shameful...people hide behind words and really attack people. That trash of mainstream social media doesn't exist hear and couldn't. So in the traditional sense, I'd "label" sites like this as monitored online communities....not national social media.