Social Media

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
Boxorain

Social Media

Post by Boxorain » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:35 pm

What's everyone doing for social media these days? Lots? None? I've slowly moved away from all social media / negative chat boards and don't miss any of it a lick.,..which kinda surprised me. Altho I'm always open to anything positive like TN
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

SunshineSue

Re: Social Media

Post by SunshineSue » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 pm

I'm still not on Facebook, and the numbers show more people are getting away from FB in the last year. I'm curious to see if the push by Roger McNamee (of Moonalice) and other investors to get Facebook to change to a subscription model in order to decrease the amount of fake news is successful. I'd think about joining if that happened. Though I do admit I appreciate live video on FB, when it's accessible. :think

I did finally break down and start an Instagram account, but only to look at my niece's pictures, I'm not posting. However, I must confess that I've got a pretty big Twitter habit. It's my one way to lash back at issues/people that upset me or to say thanks to public people doing good stuff.

But mostly, I'm just here, and occasionally at .org!

:terrapinnation!

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:20 am

facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat, Terrapin Nation, Ratdog board, reddit (I browse, I don't post)

Millenial much? lol
Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 am

I deleted all social media off my phone. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I don't waste my day worrying about other people's non-stop pointless posts. I check Facebook, instagram, and twitter about once a day when I'm at home on my personal computer and I hope to decrease that. I'm truly considering getting rid of my smartphone altogether. No snapchat anymore, truly a 100% waste of time. I've found that social media makes people dislike their lives because all they see is the positive portions of other people's lives and we begin to compare our entire lives to the hand-picked portion we see of others' lives. There's truly no need to have it in your pocket at all times 24/7/365. The "pull to refresh" feature all the apps use on mobile is extremely addicting and dangerous. I browse the Grateful Dead reddit and Ratdog, but holy smokes those places can be super negative. That's what happens when an online community gets too large though. I think I like TN so much because it's not too big and nearly everyone is positive here! Sorry if this post comes across as me acting holier than thou, I'm not here to judge, and as Barlow wrote, "become less suspicious of joy." To each his own.
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

bones

Post by bones » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 am

Not on facebook...guess im just a dinosaur...

Hell i dont even warch much TV or go to movies

Nor pay attention to politics or current events

Def not a good pub trivia team mate...unless u need help with classic rock for one hundred...

Long time ratdog.org member & fairly new TN member

Regardless of the media, medium, or however we connect...

its the people & friendships that matter...was the same back in the day thru middle, high schiol, college & beyond...over the phone & god forbid face to face...

I have cell # of many / most that i communicate with...couole rare exceptions (smart people) that havent given me theirs :rofl

Simple rules to live by:

1. Don't be a dick...or a c**t

2. Be kind & the kindness is returned as a multiplier

3. Don't keep score...see #2 above

4. Love your family & your friends

5. Endure your co-workers...see #1 above

6. Get outside...enjoy wildlife

7. If not...get out to see shows & enjoy the indoor wildlife...see signature below....

8. Lather > Rinse > Repeat :beer_cheer
Last edited by bones on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

11/1 Live Dead 69 Londonderry NH
11/6 Elton John Boston
11/9 DSO Lowell
11/15, 16 Weir Boston
11/20 DSO Concord NH
11/29 TTB
11/30 Joan, Anders & Robert Randolph do Dylan
12/1 TTB

Wisconsindead

Post by Wisconsindead » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:58 am

Instagram and Snapchat.

I don't think i consider Reddit or terrapin nation etc to be social media.

I just went back to facebook after nearly a decade away because of my need for all things john k and reed. But i only use it for that and avoid most friends in my real life because it will be too much spam/ shit I don't care about.

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:22 am

bones wrote: Def not a good pub trivia team mate...unless u need help with classic rock for one hundred...

:rofl :beer_cheer :rofl

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 am

KC.Jones wrote:I deleted all social media off my phone. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I don't waste my day worrying about other people's non-stop pointless posts. I check Facebook, instagram, and twitter about once a day when I'm at home on my personal computer and I hope to decrease that. I'm truly considering getting rid of my smartphone altogether. No snapchat anymore, truly a 100% waste of time. I've found that social media makes people dislike their lives because all they see is the positive portions of other people's lives and we begin to compare our entire lives to the hand-picked portion we see of others' lives. There's truly no need to have it in your pocket at all times 24/7/365. The "pull to refresh" feature all the apps use on mobile is extremely addicting and dangerous. I browse the Grateful Dead reddit and Ratdog, but holy smokes those places can be super negative. That's what happens when an online community gets too large though. I think I like TN so much because it's not too big and nearly everyone is positive here! Sorry if this post comes across as me acting holier than thou, I'm not here to judge, and as Barlow wrote, "become less suspicious of joy." To each his own.
Dude....wow, I couldn't have written it better myself. That's exactly the route I started with:

media apps off phone > deactivating an account > deactivate all accounts

I made a conscious effort to take note on how I felt when logged in...and the truth is I'd get bummed. Social media is mainly all self promotion and like you said...usually the positive parts of people's lives. It's natural to then compare. Nothing positive comes from that. Been like 6 months and it's had such a positive effect. To each their own man but been there, done that...no thanks anymore.

And I'm actually tossing the smart phone next month. Going back to traditional phone / text machine only. iPad will be used for work and shut off after hours. Idk man, the more I strip away, the more freebird I feel. Like KC, def not trying to preech here, just feels good to get away :bears2

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 am

I read this article a few months back and it really hammered home all the feelings I was already having. Since then I've really cut back on my social media use and removed it from my phone. I just read it again and it makes me even more glad I did. I encourage all to read it (that is if you still have the attention span to :rofl ) https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... y-dystopia
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

Griff

Post by Griff » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 am

I literally only started a personal FB page this week :rofl :rofl :rofl

I have been posting on the ski FB page for years, which was all about my pro ski son. But it was only about skiing.

Finally created a personal page after all these years. Don't know why other than some things work easier when you can log in with a FB page. Literally. Like an Instagram page. I think I signed up for that last week too. HAHA. Can't remember but I think yes.

That was also for skiing, the program I am directing this winter uses one.

But news. Why would I go there for news. OMG. I was surprised to hear people do.

I now have 4 friends.......... :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl