The John Kadlecik Thread

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
Shroomopotamus

Re: The John Kadlecik Thread

Post by Shroomopotamus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:21 am

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

I love Furthur, but he's been completely unchained since and the stuff he's been doing, there's nothing like it. Every moment of every show is the single greatest moment of my life. It's better than sex.
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
Roll on forever
:jester GGW ~ 2-25-2017 :jester
There’s UFO’s over Boulder & I ain’t too surprised

rippleish20

Post by rippleish20 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Boxorain wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 am
Been listening to a lot of the soundboards from these 2018 shows with Benjie, Jay and Dave...man I gotta say, this is some fine fine music. I shouldn’t be surprised but it’s been blowing me away. Dig how Dave sings a song or two, nice added element and tune selection. And those Unbroken Chains they’re ripping off...so unique and impressive. Gotta start traveling more to see these guys :guitarred
The Florida and Carolina run was absolutely awesome. Benjie is amazing and was totally off the hook. Jay told me later in the run that he was really happy I had been around to record them because he thought they were the best shows he had ever been involved in. Obviously he has been involved in some amazing stuff in the past, but John allows him to be who he wants artistically... Unfortunately these have largely been ignored by everyone. At the time everyone was too focused on the Bob and Phil shows and the GGW shows.

Dave sang one song

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:08 pm

^^^ seriously Alan, I’ve been listening to the Fla and Carolina shows they’re are SO fuckn good. I listened to a lot of your recordings man, very very grateful. I assume they let you plug into the soundboard?

My favorite so far is Grey Eagle, listened to that 3 times in a row. Of course I’m kinda splitting hairs, they’re all ridiculously good.

Thought I heard Dave sing 2 songs but I’m probably wrong, you know better than me.

I know the configuration always changes but does this current lineup have a chance to last? Jay doing the Bobby run but that’s short lived. I really dug the Mary El run but this current band is so silly good.
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

rippleish20

Post by rippleish20 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:44 pm

I've had soundboard patches for all JKB and Wingmen shows for the last couple of years (minus a couple where no outputs were available or where the outputs were fried - like Pawtucket). Local tapers are often faster at uploading theirs to archive but I am usually the source of the soundboard patch (I bring a patch bay so others can patch in). You have probably been listening to Gordon's matrix, but I just uploaded my matrix of Asheville so I've listened to it a lot. It's different in that Dave and Benjie do songs and was a great show, but the whole run was amazing. I would say the FL part was stronger then the Carolina part.

The current lineup is easily the best I've seen - in many ways I thought they were better than the wingmen this year - but the only thing consistent about John's band is change. I think a lot of it economic in nature. There is theoretically a JKB run in the pacific Northwest on Oct and I would not be surprised is its Robin Sylvester and Todd or Scott Guberman instead of Dave and Benjie but we will see..

Dave sang backup on other songs but the only song he did himself was Driving My Life Away as far as I remember.

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Yea the Carolina shows I listened to were uploaded by Gordon. Whole bunch from you too. Does Benji do any tunes? I swear I heard a second tune sung by someone other than JK...just assumed it was another by Dave.

Very wise for the band to allow you in with them and get a proper recording. I remember this didn’t happen at Troy...which was a beauty. The music is so good it needs to get out out there. I play it at the lake and by the time people leave, they have downloaded the Relisten App and are playing JKB on their way home.

I wonder if they’ll do a NE winter run? I think they’ve been doing CO in the winter right? Maybe early spring? Prioritizing what I can get out to see, it’s anything Bob and anything JK. Both very moving.

Thanks for taking the time to do all this Allen, very much appreciated.

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Imo … JKB (especially w/ Benjie and Dave) > GGW :whistle 8-)
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

rippleish20

Post by rippleish20 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Boxorain wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 pm
Yea the Carolina shows I listened to were uploaded by Gordon. Whole bunch from you too. Does Benji do any tunes? I swear I heard a second tune sung by someone other than JK...just assumed it was another by Dave.

Very wise for the band to allow you in with them and get a proper recording. I remember this didn’t happen at Troy...which was a beauty. The music is so good it needs to get out out there. I play it at the lake and by the time people leave, they have downloaded the Relisten App and are playing JKB on their way home.

I wonder if they’ll do a NE winter run? I think they’ve been doing CO in the winter right? Maybe early spring? Prioritizing what I can get out to see, it’s anything Bob and anything JK. Both very moving.

Thanks for taking the time to do all this Allen, very much appreciated.
Gordon was only at Asheville. Another taper was at Raleigh and another in Charleston. All three added shows to archive before I did but I have boards of every show up there. I am actually still working on some of my audience recordings. Mike (sound engineer) convinced me to try Mid-Side recording, which I'm not used to, and I am still getting the hang of processing them.

Troy was unusual and was really one of the few taping disasters Ive had in recent memory. They didn't have Mike (who normally does sound) with them and the local Sound guy was not very accommodating. Only one channel of the soundboard feed worked but he insisted the problem was on my end which it wasn't. Soundboard feeds in small venues are also usually not well balanced because the musicians' amps provide enough sound. There was also no good location to place audience microphones. A major problem I face is that I am constantly going to new places where I don't know the layout. For a place like Troy, I would really need to mount pair of microphones in the ceiling. The Pawtucket show early last year was another one - their soundboard was fried and I was only able to get an audience recording, with a massive amount of talkers

Benjie sang Boogie On, Reggae Woman at Asheville.

Upcoming John shows - There three FOTW shows in Denver in September. It looks like JKB 10/5-7 in Northern CA/Oregon but otherwise who knows. So far the fall looks like lots of Oteil & Friends festival dates and solo shows. There is supposed to be a Fall GGW run but since Jay is tied but it would have to be late Fall. I would not be overly surprised by late Fall JKB NE shows and there will most likely be shows arounds New Years but otherwise who knows.

In the past I would have said GGW is better but this lineup is as good in a different way. Past lineups of JKB very fun but they really didn't jam that much. The FL=Carolina run was jam after jam and Benjie was totally on fire.

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:32 pm

rippleish20 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:53 pm
In the past I would have said GGW is better but this lineup is as good in a different way. Past lineups of JKB very fun but they really didn't jam that much. The FL=Carolina run was jam after jam and Benjie was totally on fire.
Yea I agree with this. For these ears, this is the finest post Furthur JK ensemble I’ve heard. I can’t wait to get the live experience.

JK is the only musician I’ve heard play GD stuff where I didn’t feel like I was listening to a cover band. No disrespect to DSO, JRAD etc...it’s all wonderful and I appreciate all of it. JK just feels like part of the GD yet his own completely separate entity. I guess that’s what the great ones do :guitarred

Shroomopotamus

Post by Shroomopotamus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:46 am

:sunshine
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
Roll on forever
:jester GGW ~ 2-25-2017 :jester
There’s UFO’s over Boulder & I ain’t too surprised

Shroomopotamus

Post by Shroomopotamus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 am