Fundraising

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
NobleGlass

Fundraising

Post by NobleGlass » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:43 pm

Hey everyone!

So every year, on a glass forum I'm a member of, people donate goods and services to help pay for site maintenance. I was thinking about doing the same over here, but not sure if there would be enough bidders for an auction listing. I'd be happy to donate anywhere from a small handpipe, all the way up to a sculptural oil rig, if the interest is there.

Just wanted to reiterate that any money from this auction would be going directly to Sue, not myself, this is not me trying to sell my goods for personal gain in way

Boxorain

Re: Fundraising

Post by Boxorain » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 pm

I'd be happy to donate as well...Just not sure to who and how?
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:13 pm

I've been playing phone tag with NobleGlass, and didn't want to let this kind offer go unacknowledged for too long. Especially since I've already gotten one very generous donation. On behalf of the entire board, thanks very much, Boxorain!! :sunshine :clap

I have to be honest, I'm not sure what to do about funding Terrapin Nation for the long term, and haven't had a chance to chat with the moderators about it recently. The expenses aren't actually very much. After a recent upgrade to a higher-bandwidth plan that was needed, it's currently about $280/year. I'm also about out of the first batch of TN pins (a very kind donation from Ramble on Rose), and would like to order more of those for summer DeadCo tour. That's probably another $75-100ish, off the top of my head. I've definitely not been lacking for folks asking if they could donate and I've always appreciated that!

Bruce/Chester and I initially covered the board costs together, and I've been covering them since that time. I'm not rich by a long shot, but it's been an amount I could manage and it's certainly a labor of love I'm happy to do. However, it's not just a monetary issue, as Bruce told me many, many times. There's a lot to be said for having everyone in the community contribute in order to help build a sense of ownership among everyone who hangs out here and might want to help out. Bruce felt very strongly that the costs of the board should be shared for that reason, while I was a bit more hesitant to ask. Some of you may know that the TN hats that have been used as prizes the last couple years were originally intended to be a fundraising project. When Bruce passed away right after he had them made, frankly I just didn't have the heart to organize it and go through with it, thus the hats were well-utilized in a different way.

So all of this is a long way of saying, I'm not quite sure what to do about funding the board, and I'm open to suggestions, thoughts and feelings from anyone and everyone. I'm a little reluctant to organize a "major" event like an auction, but maybe I'm just not thinking creatively enough or still have too many sad associations after the last attempt at doing one. Above all, I'd hate to raise more than the board is costing, but again, I may be borrowing unrealistic worries. Help me out folks, what's the best way to respond to this very, very kind offer of help from NobleGlass and everyone else who has offered donations over the last couple of years, as well as to answer the question of the best way to fund Terrapin Nation for the long term?? :think :bigheart

NobleGlass

Post by NobleGlass » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:40 pm

Sorry Sue My phone has been acting up lately!

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks for shedding some light on things Sue..I agree with Chester, a community feels more like a community when we all take part. Just an idea here...since TN kinda evolved from the Furthur board, why don't we give a little nod to JK. Everyone enters a raffle for two JK tickets at a town near them. Just $10 to $20 per person should net between $250 - $300 minus $50 for two tickets. If JK wasn't anywhere near the winner they could just put the winnings towards any show they wanted to attend.
Just thinking out loud but seems like a win win all the way around :guitarred
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

bones

Post by bones » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Bottom line Sue & the moderators should not be paying out of pocket to run this site.

Just the benefits of a very well organized site to come to for streams has got to be worth something to most folks who frequent here :jumpclap

Not to mention the priceless fun & friendships :sunshine

Good ideas being tossed around here be it an auction or raffle with a couple prizes ???
Shall we go...you & I while we can...
5/30 Deadco
6/1 Slip into Summer festival
6/11 Deadco
6/13 Deadco
7/20 JRAD
7/30 Bearly Dead GD nite @ Fenway

Terrapinjim

Post by Terrapinjim » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:28 pm

I would agree with some kind of a fundraiser needs to implemented. I'm in for whatever we need to do.
If you get confused listen to the music play.

Creedo

Post by Creedo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 am

https://www.youcaring.com/blog/2013/whi ... owest-fees

Third party site: You Caring or Go Fund Me is always an option

as well as, Annual Membership fee - $ 3.00 per year??

Definitely not the most popular ways of site maintenance but still......an option

I know archive.org has a yearly donation drive -- they cleaned up this year - 1.5 million dollar donation(or something like that) - bitcoin/cryptocurrency

https://archive.org/donate/
The sun will shine in my back door someday