Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Re: Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

Post by patchthenation » Fri May 04, 2018 4:24 am

My dad is listening to 5/3/72 set 2 today....he thinks it’s the Other One of the tour.

http://bozosandbolos.blogspot.com/2012/ ... k.html?m=1

Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Fri May 04, 2018 6:16 pm

So many grate shows for Cinco de Mayo weekend.........let me just rattle off a few for ya'll.

5/4/72 Paris (this Dark Star > Sugar Mag > Sing Me was the highlight of my first shrooms trip!):

5/5/90 Cal Expo, with The Race is On- grate show for Kentucky Derby :)

5/6/81 Nassau, esp. He's Gone and the rest of set 2:

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun May 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Another pair of shows to celebrate....5/6-7/89 Frost! The final Dead shows at the famed venue.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Mon May 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Inaugural year for OTD means that it is necessary to post this infamous trio:

5/7/77 Boston

5/8/77 Cornell

5/9/77 Buffalo

Next year I'll find others ;)

Buy buy buy! http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/may-197 ... box?page=4

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 am

Today certainly is a good day in Grateful Dead history!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Tue May 08, 2018 8:50 pm

KC.Jones wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 am
Today certainly is a good day in Grateful Dead history!
So I totally forgot today was today. This morning I’m driving my daughter to school and they play the fire > estimated. The whole time I’m listening, I’m thinking...God this is amazing, it almost sounds like a perfectly orchestrated piece done up for production, wow every one of Jerry’s notes are perfect...then I look at the xm screen. Duhhhhh. Got to say, for all the folklore and hype over this show through the years...it totally exceedes anything I could have imagined. Dare I call a GD performance perfect lol. Well to me they all are but this one just sounds and feels different than the rest. Impeccable
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

KC.Jones

Post by KC.Jones » Tue May 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Boxorain wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:50 pm

So I totally forgot today was today. This morning I’m driving my daughter to school and they play the fire > estimated. The whole time I’m listening, I’m thinking...God this is amazing, it almost sounds like a perfectly orchestrated piece done up for production, wow every one of Jerry’s notes are perfect...then I look at the xm screen. Duhhhhh. Got to say, for all the folklore and hype over this show through the years...it totally exceedes anything I could have imagined. Dare I call a GD performance perfect lol. Well to me they all are but this one just sounds and feels different than the rest. Impeccable
Hahaha I had a similar experience this morning too. I started my car and the Estimated was playing and I instantly recognized it and said to myself "oh yeah it's May 8th today." That's without a doubt the all-time best Estimated and arguably one of the best Scarlet>Fire's. I have a hard time calling it the best GD show ever because there's no Terrapin, but it's certainly near the top of the list!!
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know

Boxorain

Post by Boxorain » Tue May 08, 2018 10:15 pm

KC.Jones wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:00 pm
Boxorain wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Hahaha I had a similar experience this morning too. I started my car and the Estimated was playing and I instantly recognized it and said to myself "oh yeah it's May 8th today." That's without a doubt the all-time best Estimated and arguably one of the best Scarlet>Fire's. I have a hard time calling it the best GD show ever because there's no Terrapin, but it's certainly near the top of the list!!
Ha...similar universes this morning. Weird tho right...that show just has a totally distinctive tone / sound / feel to it that doesn’t apply to any other show. I’m probably way off base here but I always thought this was a non exsistant or very low usage cocaine show. They’re clearly listening to each other so intently and the overall speed was perfect...slow enough to have that jazz feel yet fast enough to resemble the era. And consistent from note one. I do agree...I don’t think “the best GD show” exists. Collectively, they’re all like no other
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Thu May 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Today we have...TODAY in Dead-related history. 5/10/18. I know the 72 Amsterdam shows are the go-to listen today and tomorrow, but we should appreciate something new: John Mayer's new single! "New Light" is out today, and has a very "Dreams"-esque (Fleetwood Mac) musical arrangement.

I have really loved the new JM stuff the past year, and this single is no exception. Without Furthur ado, the newest addition to (kinda) Dead-related history, "New Light" by John Mayer:

https://pitchfork.com/news/john-mayer-a ... ht-listen/

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Fri May 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Today, we have 5/11/72 from Rotterdam. Notable for the 45+ minute Dark Star, and the final Caution (paired with Who Do You Love).

Review: http://bozosandbolos.blogspot.com/2012/ ... eball.html

Dark Star:

Full show: