Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
Creedo

Re: Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

Post by Creedo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Bob Weir (Wheels Up Super Saturday Tailgate)
2/6/2016 Herbst Pavilion, San Francisco, CA
Bob, Lukas Nelson, Rashawn Ross, and others

Dark Star>
Not Fade Away>
Shakey Ground>
Not Fade Away
Hell in a Bucket

The sun will shine in my back door someday

Creedo

Post by Creedo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:37 pm

https://archive.org/details/gd69-02-06. ... sbeok.shnf

February 6, 1969
Kiel Auditorium
St. Louis, Missouri

SET
Morning Dew
Dark Star >
Saint Stephen >
The Eleven >
Turn On Your Lovelight
Cryptical Envelopment >
The Other One >
Cryptical Envelopment >
Feedback >
And We Bid You Good Night

Without much debate, the 1969 show at the Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis is our Dead of the Day for February 6th. Following a good, but not stratospheric Morning Dew, the band whips the crowd into a psychedelic frenzy, tearing up the rest of the show. So much of the show is so very good, but the highlight may very well be the Eleven, which, building out of a furious jam, has the band presenting one of the sweetest deliveries of the lyrics, which themselves are reminiscent of some acid dripped bedtime nursery rhyme. However, the Dead didn’t intend to put the seething masses to sleep, instead they kept up the furious pace until, finally, relenting with a heartfelt We Bid You Goodnight.

As we discussed back on the fourth of this month, in early February 1969, the Dead were in the midst of a relentless set of back-to-back dates. The schedule is largely par for the course that year, as the Dead played a mind-bending 150 shows, which was surely grueling at times. But far from tiring in '69, the boys just kept coming out firing each day, gaining steam throughout and producing what would become some of their most quintessential shows. This date at the Kiel provides some premonition of what was to come in ensuing months.

The Kiel Auditorium itself was a splendid New Deal structure, built in 1934. It enjoyed a long and storied life, playing host to the Show-Me-State’s own President Truman long before becoming well-known for countless professional wrestling bouts in the seventies. The Dead would go on to play a total of seven largely forgettable – though you will have a hard time shaking this ’69 one – shows in the venue, with the last coming on August 4, 1982. Ten years later, the building was torn down to make way for the Scottrade Center, home to the St. Louis Blues.

As they had the night before, on February 6th of 1969, the Dead opened for Iron Butterfly, who was then a hugely popular psychedelic act whose second album would become the first to make platinum. Stories of Iron Butterfly being blown off the stage by upstarts – notably Led Zeppelin and Duane and Gregg Allman – are legion, and based on web commentary from a few who claimed to be there, the Grateful Dead did much the same. Bear had said about the night previous, “The IB fans who filled the hall were in such a state of shock after the opening set by GD that it was nearly halfway through their beloved Butterfly's set before they came round and starting jumping.” On the sixth, though, it was Iron Butterfly the band, not their fans, who seemed stunned into silence by the Dead’s performance if we are to believe “cool_breeze” on Archive, who says he has it on good “information from a person who was backstage at the show” that “after listening to the Dead burn the house down, Iron Butterfly didn’t want to come out. So, the Dead came back on to play a ‘few more minutes’ and proceeded to add insult to IB’s injury with the Cryptical Sandwich, Feedback, and AWBYG.” Take those comments for whatever you want, but be ready to be shocked by this powerful show.

OTHER 02/06 dates for Grateful Dead:

02/06/66 – Northridge Unitarian Church – Los Angeles, CA – this acid test clearly exists in the Vault because it was released as a Jam of the Week
02/06/70 – Fillmore West – San Francisco, CA
02/06/79 – Tulsa Fairgrounds Pavilion – Tulsa, OK – possibly no recording, though the setlist is out there
02/06/83 – Stone House Studio – Novato, CA – rehearsals of “Victory”
02/06/89 – Henry J. Kaiser Center – Oakland, CA

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38 pm

that 2/4-7/69 run is GRATE!!

Just started 2/7/69 - from Pittsburgh. Same songs as the rest of the run, but I'm already loving this Dark Star!

https://archive.org/details/gd1969-02-0 ... eok.flac16

http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/02-07-1969
http://www.thebestofwebsite.com/Bands/G ... _02_07.htm
Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 am

wow, I have been listening to the 2/8/15 JRAD show from Providence....I JUST looked at the setlist during Sailor and I thought, "add drums/space and this would be a KILLER DeadCo show. I would leave extremely satisfied."

And I am sure I will leave extremely satisfied when this show ends:

I: Cream Puff War > Samson and Delilah, Casey Jones > Cumberland Blues > Minglewood Blues > Deal
​II: Lazy Lightning > Supplication Jam > Dark Star > King Solomon's Marbles, Stella Blue, Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance, E: Shakedown Street

https://archive.org/details/JR2015-02-08.16_bit

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:13 am

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:31 am

WOW! Ratdog 2/9/07 in San Diego was the first post-Jerry "To Lay Me Down" that I can find, other than being done ONCE by Furthur in 2011.

Glad that Oteil will be taking care of the vox on this in DeadCo...however, it's a nice nod that Bob played with Ratdog 5 more times in 2007 and 2008.

https://archive.org/details/rd2007-02-0 ... sbeok.shnf

Creedo

Post by Creedo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:38 pm

b790211.jpg

From archive.org:

not that bad... if it were 1970 we would call this a VG audience tape. while theres minimal high end and the drums are hard to hear, Weir / Lesh / Garcia are all there and easy to follow, plus this a steady tape with minimal audience interference

and

This tape sounds every bit of its 26 years...Even though the show is decent, avoid this recording. Besides, you'll find better 2/9 & 10. 1st Set: "Promised" is loose and carefree despite sloppy playing and Bobby's oft forgetting of the lyrcis. Evidently, they're trying, but "Sugaree" sounds tired and messy. Frankly, this cloudy recording isn't helping matters. "Mama" is short, speedy and harmless. "Mexicali" is well-played but undistinctive. "FOTD" accurately conveys the tone of this man's lamentable situation. Our first "Lazy/Supplication" in a week is fine, but this dull recording is really beginning to frustrate me. It's tough to manufacture enthusiasm when the sound is this stunted. Yet 'Supp' builds to tense if not exploding climax. My goodness, let the fresh riches overflow with a bright, perky "Might as Well" This version's a real success to keep the set flowing. No time for anything solemn or maudlin; Lesh's thick grooves announce a highly musical if not mind-bending "Music." 2nd Set: Feel the percussive movements, let the foot-stomping begin, because it's time for a Bobby Sunday school lesson. "Sampson" is nice, but due to the thin quality of this sound...(it's yucky) it's not really overly enjoyable. The same could be said for the "China/Rider" that follows... The 'Rider' is especially tense, but due to the remoteness of the sound, the quality of the playing is difficult to ascertain. "From" is standard, and predictable... a 'Ship' would have made a better choice. "Terrapin" is a pleasure but does not deviate from the norm. "Playing" is a predictable but generous selection. The jam is nice... Wow, I am so disinterested in reviewing the rest of this show. Suffice to say, the playing is fine, equivalent to 'good ol' GD,' but nothing astounding. The encore is missing from this tape... BUT to all those venture into these murky warnings, it is at Your discretion.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Creedo on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Sampson :rofl :rofl :rofl
I'd like to find the proper potion
That's gonna capture your emotion

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 pm

For today, let's get Chinese New Year goin!!!

2/12/89 in Inglewood is a pretty hefty show. Dylan, Spencer Davis, and Kodo's Yoshikazu Fujimoto join during set 2.
MONKEY AND THE ENGINEER.

What else could you ask for?

Oh....the link to audio, of course!

Creedo

Post by Creedo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm

400px-EatAPeachGatefold.jpg
45 years later :guitarred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.