Dead and Company - Playing in the Sand

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
SunshineSue

Re: Dead and Company - Playing in the Sand

Post by SunshineSue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Welcome to TN, pappysgal! I think you're right on the stage location, but I'll double check with my Phish buddy and confirm. That place is sure massive! :sunshine

:welcomefire

alilfurther

Post by alilfurther » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:14 pm

be careful drinking alcohol down there there have been reports of tainted alcohol .probably safer to stick to beer or wine

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:48 pm

pappysgal wrote:Hi. New here :waving
I've been doing some research on the Barcelo resort and rooms (trying to get the low-down on facilities, food, if the swim-ups are all that, etc.), and if -- frankly -- any of this is worth the $$. The resort is divided into five areas, each with certain types of accommodations. You'll see Palace, Tropical, Colonial, Caribe and Beach. Sue, Phish's stage was set up on the "Beach" end of the resort, correct?

The stage is indeed at the Beach end, #58 on the map. What a huge place!! And again, welcome to the board!! :sunshine

Hagen

Post by Hagen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:15 pm

I'll try this again??!? Anyone looking for a partner in crime to split a room? Or maybe a couple or three homies looking to add another traveler to get the cost down??

I've never had the luxury of one of the resort shows...closest I've gotten was the first Lockn SVIP and a comped one the second year...and I just don't know how to talk myself into $3700 after airfare. But I think the boys have only done one three nighter as DeadCo in Alpine Valley, so this is feeling like a must...

Still trying to figure out why my best traveling bud had to run smack into a tree...and why the other is doing PL in Puerto Rico. Deerrrp.

staggerl

Post by staggerl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:47 pm

So what has been the story with people staying nearby getting into or seeing the shows from nearby in the past?

Kevman

Post by Kevman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:28 pm

SunshineSue wrote:
gvanman wrote:This looks good but me & Michele really want to do the DSO, Hot Tuna, Rumpke Mountain Boys in Jamaica. We'll have to wait and see which road we travel.
If you go this year, I hope you add the extra night before DSO officially starts, with electric Hot Tuna. Dave and I will be there (post-Govt Mule) and we could have a great time that night, plus we'll fill you in on everything you need to know at the resort, and introduce you to Bigga, the resident herb supplier!! Dave is trying to talk me into adding DSO onto Mule next year (2019), for a 10-night run, rather than go to DeadCo. I have to admit, that's awfully tempting, we almost did it this year. For about the same as DeadCo (actually a bit less), you get more of a private party (500 people vs 5000+), more music, get to hang with the bands and have better food than the big resort. Though I'd sure love to see Bobby on the beach again, wish he'd go back to Jamaica with Ratdog! :sunshine
Sue, are you saying that "Playing in the Sand" could have around 5000 people? That's a lot! When I look at the available packages it seems like it would be a whole lot less, but I must be reading it wrong. 500 people would be much for manageable for me and the spouse, perhaps we need to consider DSO's gig.

karenrose

Post by karenrose » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:34 pm

Man....Kevin and I were really tempted by this one. We can probably swing it, but with the wedding this year...we've been talking about the need for us to get away after it all. He actually suggested well before this announcement that we take a vacation somewhere that didn't necessarily involve a concert. We've never done that in our 12 years together. I didn't even know what kinds of things he likes to do on vacation. I told him that, if we go to Mexico again, we'd have to tack on a few extra days so as not to feel rushed to get there and get back. We had an awesome time at Paradise Waits w/o any of the problems so many experienced. But, when it came down to it, we decided to take a longer, less expensive trip. Maybe San Francisco, since I've never been, or maybe the jazz fest in New Orleans. Or maybe...hopefully...to visit my daughter in her new home in Florida. They're going to try for a family right away, so I may need to save the time/money for my FIRST GRANDCHILD!!! Fingers crossed... :lol: I did just get an email earlier from Sirius XM with a special code for Playin' in the Sand, so I wonder if that means they're going to stream it?? Anyway, hoping to see you special folks down the road soon! :grouphug :terrapinnation!
Whatalongstrangetripit'sbeen!

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:52 pm

Kevman wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:
gvanman wrote:This looks good but me & Michele really want to do the DSO, Hot Tuna, Rumpke Mountain Boys in Jamaica. We'll have to wait and see which road we travel.
If you go this year, I hope you add the extra night before DSO officially starts, with electric Hot Tuna. Dave and I will be there (post-Govt Mule) and we could have a great time that night, plus we'll fill you in on everything you need to know at the resort, and introduce you to Bigga, the resident herb supplier!! Dave is trying to talk me into adding DSO onto Mule next year (2019), for a 10-night run, rather than go to DeadCo. I have to admit, that's awfully tempting, we almost did it this year. For about the same as DeadCo (actually a bit less), you get more of a private party (500 people vs 5000+), more music, get to hang with the bands and have better food than the big resort. Though I'd sure love to see Bobby on the beach again, wish he'd go back to Jamaica with Ratdog! :sunshine
Sue, are you saying that "Playing in the Sand" could have around 5000 people? That's a lot! When I look at the available packages it seems like it would be a whole lot less, but I must be reading it wrong. 500 people would be much for manageable for me and the spouse, perhaps we need to consider DSO's gig.
That was my understanding from the folks that went to Phish, maybe it will be a bit smaller for this one, I think there might be less resorts involved. Paradise Waits was about 2500 at the Hard Rock alone (or was supposed to be only at the HRH, but that's another story).

I know for sure the Island Gigs runs (Govt Mule, Little Feat, DSO) are only about 500 people, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record because I say it so often, I think they're perfection, at least my 2 experiences were! Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, I'm more than happy to talk endlessly about it!! We're going to double up and do both Mule and DSO either this year or next, if all goes as planned. :sunshine

saeyedoc

Post by saeyedoc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 am

Packages were selling really quickly yesterday. I grabbed one right at 1pm ET and my buddy tried a minute later and everything at the Barcelo was unavailable. They released some rooms they had saved for the general sale later on and he got one, but only with double beds. Surprised the really high $ rooms sold completely out. This is going to be a blast.

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:58 am

saeyedoc wrote:Packages were selling really quickly yesterday. I grabbed one right at 1pm ET and my buddy tried a minute later and everything at the Barcelo was unavailable. They released some rooms they had saved for the general sale later on and he got one, but only with double beds. Surprised the really high $ rooms sold completely out. This is going to be a blast.
I was wondering how sales went, thanks much for the scoop, saeyedoc! I know you and everyone else will have a fabulous time down there!! :dance :sunshine

And welcome to Terrapin Nation, glad to have you at the party!! :welcomefire