Dead and Company - Playing in the Sand

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
SunshineSue

Re: Dead and Company - Playing in the Sand

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:07 pm

I thought I'd pass on some info from my buddy, The Engineer, who went to Phish down there, and stayed at the home resort, the Barcelo Maya. He's thinking about doing it again, with their daughter, who's already a seasoned concert-goer at 11ish. Argh, such decisions!! :doh ;)

"We are definitely thinking about it, and also taking [our daughter] since this is the last year we'd be able to get away with the kid price. Now that we know the concert venue is huge enough that there are acres of space in the back we know that will not be a problem at all. There is also a ton of space along the water. Unless you were way up between the sbd and the stage it wasn't very tight. Lots of fairly good buffet food setup (better than inside the resort) and the lines for that were never super long. While the music was playing you could walk right up to the food. There were lots of servers walking around with drinks, as well as designated 'bars' to get something special if you wanted it. The servers would probably have done that too. Honestly we didn't drink much inside the venue.

For Phish it was mixed concert and non-concert goers at the Barcelo and that had the non-concert people pissed a lot of the time. The food probably would not be up to your standards, at least the buffet food. It was very much country-buffet level. The sit-down restaurant we ate at was awesome, but those are almost impossible to work out on show days since they are dinner-only and don't open until like 6. Otherwise the resort was great. It's absolutely huge, but never felt overcrowded even though it was sold out. There are a couple pretty nice beach spots. Not sure about snorkeling. It's worth it to us to not to have to leave the property and figure out shuttle bus, etc. What i'm more worried about for this is having a percentage of Mayer fans that are more of the drunk than "kind" variety.

There weren't a lot of food options back at the resort after the show. The snack bars and pool areas closed at 10. Most of the inside bars closed at 12. There was a disco and a bowling alley that i believe were open later. Once we learned to get food at the venue during the encore and swing by the bar to grab some drinks on our way back to the room we were set.

But beware that if you get put at opposite end of the resort from the venue it's like a mile or two hike from your room. That said there were shuttle busses that could get you closer. But then you couldn't listen to the soundcheck from the beach while you were eating dinner at the snack bar. ;) "

Add: I confirmed that hike from room to venue, it really is that long, 3/4 mile straight line per Google Maps, a good mile with the winding path you have to walk. He says it took a full half hour to walk the length of their beach. Kind of a mixed blessing for some of us! :|

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 pm

I hope that anyone who has the pleasure to go will

totally enjoy it!! :terrapinnation! :rockon :clap

With that being said I have never gotten the bug to see Deadco but am happy for anyone who digs em :)
Smell Every Flower

Hagen

Post by Hagen » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Who wants to split a room?!? I think I can swallow it at 24-2700...that's with airfare and 2-3 people in a room...but 37 hundo to go solo is fairly ridiculous.

dr bakes

Post by dr bakes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 pm

I was hoping for Bob and the Cowboy Band with Kimock Jeff and Jay opening at Jamaica. No Mexico for me, but have fun.
Tell me a lie and I will swear, i'll swear it's True
DT

Denver Man

Post by Denver Man » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:02 pm

Doesn't seem like the best idea to have a mix of concert and non-concert goers on a resort :think To be fair, if I showed up there on vacation as a non-concert goer and THEN found out there was some 4 day concert thing going on, I wouldn't be too happy either. Just sayin :whistle

I think Widespread does their island thing where the resort is dedicated to only concert goers ... I might be wrong on that but sure sounds like a better plan
Couple shots of whiskey women around here start looking good

staggerl

Post by staggerl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:26 pm

For those of you that have attended these, how difficult is it to hear from just off the property or somehow score a wristband. I'm considering making the trip without buying in. Also, is it possible to vend?

gvanman

Post by gvanman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:24 am

This looks good but me & Michele really want to do the DSO, Hot Tuna, Rumpke Mountain Boys in Jamaica. We'll have to wait and see which road we travel.

SunshineSue

Post by SunshineSue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:03 am

gvanman wrote:This looks good but me & Michele really want to do the DSO, Hot Tuna, Rumpke Mountain Boys in Jamaica. We'll have to wait and see which road we travel.
If you go this year, I hope you add the extra night before DSO officially starts, with electric Hot Tuna. Dave and I will be there (post-Govt Mule) and we could have a great time that night, plus we'll fill you in on everything you need to know at the resort, and introduce you to Bigga, the resident herb supplier!! Dave is trying to talk me into adding DSO onto Mule next year (2019), for a 10-night run, rather than go to DeadCo. I have to admit, that's awfully tempting, we almost did it this year. For about the same as DeadCo (actually a bit less), you get more of a private party (500 people vs 5000+), more music, get to hang with the bands and have better food than the big resort. Though I'd sure love to see Bobby on the beach again, wish he'd go back to Jamaica with Ratdog! :sunshine

mok

Post by mok » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:07 am

SunshineSue wrote:I thought I'd pass on some info from my buddy, The Engineer, who went to Phish down there, and stayed at the home resort, the Barcelo Maya. He's thinking about doing it again, with their daughter, who's already a seasoned concert-goer at 11ish. Argh, such decisions!! :doh ;)

"We are definitely thinking about it, and also taking [our daughter] since this is the last year we'd be able to get away with the kid price. Now that we know the concert venue is huge enough that there are acres of space in the back we know that will not be a problem at all. There is also a ton of space along the water. Unless you were way up between the sbd and the stage it wasn't very tight. Lots of fairly good buffet food setup (better than inside the resort) and the lines for that were never super long. While the music was playing you could walk right up to the food. There were lots of servers walking around with drinks, as well as designated 'bars' to get something special if you wanted it. The servers would probably have done that too. Honestly we didn't drink much inside the venue.

For Phish it was mixed concert and non-concert goers at the Barcelo and that had the non-concert people pissed a lot of the time. The food probably would not be up to your standards, at least the buffet food. It was very much country-buffet level. The sit-down restaurant we ate at was awesome, but those are almost impossible to work out on show days since they are dinner-only and don't open until like 6. Otherwise the resort was great. It's absolutely huge, but never felt overcrowded even though it was sold out. There are a couple pretty nice beach spots. Not sure about snorkeling. It's worth it to us to not to have to leave the property and figure out shuttle bus, etc. What i'm more worried about for this is having a percentage of Mayer fans that are more of the drunk than "kind" variety.

There weren't a lot of food options back at the resort after the show. The snack bars and pool areas closed at 10. Most of the inside bars closed at 12. There was a disco and a bowling alley that i believe were open later. Once we learned to get food at the venue during the encore and swing by the bar to grab some drinks on our way back to the room we were set.

But beware that if you get put at opposite end of the resort from the venue it's like a mile or two hike from your room. That said there were shuttle busses that could get you closer. But then you couldn't listen to the soundcheck from the beach while you were eating dinner at the snack bar. ;) "

Add: I confirmed that hike from room to venue, it really is that long, 3/4 mile straight line per Google Maps, a good mile with the winding path you have to walk. He says it took a full half hour to walk the length of their beach. Kind of a mixed blessing for some of us! :|
Interesting. We were at Muertos con Queso about 3 weeks after the Phish shows, which I believe were the first the resort did. One change they had made was to open the restaurants early on show nights (I think 4PM) to allow the concertgoers time to eat. They were also super lax on dress code, but this may have just been true from 4-6 or something as we the one night we ate later we dressed up all fancy in Hawaiian shirts and sandals on a non-show night :) I felt no tension whatsoever with the non music crowd, but we were in the main Barcelo resort area right by the beach venue and there were no neighbors there not going to the shows. It was also like a 5 minute walk to the venue so we could go back to our room during set breaks, which was simply awesome.

That being said, in my experience some Phish fans are rowdier (dare I say a tad ruder) than Cheese/Dead fans so there may have been more tension from that?

We are seriously considering going back, it was the highlight of 2017 thus far; just not cheap at all. I also wish Cheese was playing as well, the combo was great, as was the Chris Robinson Brotherhood and Jacki Greene. From what I see they do not seem to be suggesting any guests this time.

pappysgal

Post by pappysgal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 am

Hi. New here :waving
I've been doing some research on the Barcelo resort and rooms (trying to get the low-down on facilities, food, if the swim-ups are all that, etc.), and if -- frankly -- any of this is worth the $$. The resort is divided into five areas, each with certain types of accommodations. You'll see Palace, Tropical, Colonial, Caribe and Beach. Sue, Phish's stage was set up on the "Beach" end of the resort, correct?