Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

A place to discuss anything not covered in the other forums
patchthenation

Re: Dead-A-Day: On This Day in GD-Land

Post by patchthenation » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:56 am

9/3/72 Folsom Field is a DEFINITE must-listen!!! There are several copies, one having better sound on its soundboard selections than the others.

ANYWAY, I want to point out several blistering performances: Playin, He's Gone > Other One > Wharf Rat (also on Dick's Picks 36), and starting set 3 now...

Get the feelin' I'm gonna find out real soon...

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Started this show this morning at about the same time the band started playing that day: Breakfast in Bed with the Grateful Dead! 9/5/82 at the US Festival in Devore, CA.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Woops! Missed yesterday. I love this show: 9/6/91 Richfield. That Victim!!! I know some don't like the song, but give it a try. Phil is BOMBING and Vince is adding very dark and powerful synth. Grate version, probably one of the best (I know some of you are rolling your eyes :waving :rofl )

Also- this Crazy Fingers is, I think, lyrically-perfect. For Jerry to slay the Fingers in 91 like he does here is truly sublime.

Today, I am listening to 9/7/83 at Red Rocks. Check out the Jack Straw! More Phil bombs :listen (also nice big bombs in Bertha)

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:31 pm

9/8/83 Red Rocks on tap today - more Phil bombs throughout, starting with the Shakedown! What a nice way to start a show :guitarred :rockon :dance

Happy birthday Pig!!! Cue the Alligator > Darkness Jam > Lovelight from 6/6/70 Fillmore West, pour a glass, and toast to our dear departed musical brother.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Never heard this one, but will be spinnin it today: 9/9/82 in New Orleans.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:59 pm

A little JGB today, 9/10/89 from Mass:

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:43 pm

WOW! What a find! 9/12/87 at Landover Cap Centre. I would recommend this for release! Hot Bucket, pounding Tom Thumb’s (love Mick on those pads!). Fun Might As Well, strong Samson, AMAZING Ship, Truckin lively into a good Miracle and then the DEW! Wow! This is ALMOST as good as the following one, 9/18/87 at MSG (IMO). Lovelight!? Wow fun!! :bears2 :dance Double encore with OMSN and BMR? So good, so good, so GRATE!

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:49 pm

40 years ago this weekend, the Dead played Egypt for the first and only time! Check out night one, 9/14/78 at the Grate Sphinx:

https://www.jambase.com/article/gratefu ... nes-series
Helton’s latest project finds him teaming up with the Grateful Dead for a new collection of limited edition screen-printed posters inspired by significant moments in the band’s history that he has dubbed “Milestones.” The first print in this ongoing series will honor the 40th anniversary of the Dead’s famed 1978 visit to Giza, Egypt to play three shows in front of the pyramids.

The poster will available for purchase only via Helton’s online store starting this Friday, September 14 at 10 a.m. ET with the on-sale window running through Sunday, September 16 at 11:59 p.m. ET.

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Listening to this show today. It's pretty good. I like the horns, even if they sound off at times and come in at the wrong times...lol it's different and I appreciate that. Heads up: set 1 aud, set 2 sbd. 9/15/73 in Providence:

patchthenation

Post by patchthenation » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:46 pm

This show is interesting: 9/16/87 MSG - Touch > Scarlet to open and a GSET > Devil With the Blue Dress > Good Golly Miss Molly in set 2.

set 2 video: