Who Loves Jazz?

Topics related to the world of music outside the sphere of the Grateful Dead
Tone Weaver

Re: Who Loves Jazz?

Postby Tone Weaver » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:09 am

There was a nice flash of Jerry during the other night's DeadCo show.

During a set break on the Sirius/XM broadcast of the New Year's show Gary Lambert played an old favorite. Garcia/Grisman on Milestones.

phpBB [video]

Festafarian

Postby Festafarian » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:57 pm

My grandpa was a Jazz musician. I can't imagine any Deadhead who wouldn't appreciate Bitches Brew.

lightchaser

Postby lightchaser » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Festafarian wrote: I can't imagine any Deadhead who wouldn't appreciate Bitches Brew.

I think "Agharta" would appeal to many of Our Kind also. And since we're talking Miles here,one of my "stranded on a desert island" albums is "In a Silent Way". It's in my cd player almost all the time. One of those palette cleanser type listening experiences.

As we know, Jerry liked jazz. Just got Vol 3 of Garcia Live series: Legion of Mary which has jazz inspired tracks like "Freedom Jazz Dance," "Wondering Why" and the Donnie Hathaway penned "Valdez in the Country".

I attribute my love and appreciation of GD music to having been exposed to GD and jazz at the same time during my teens. Gotta love public radio, thanks WVSP!

Tone Weaver

Postby Tone Weaver » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:47 am

lightchaser wrote:
Festafarian wrote: I can't imagine any Deadhead who wouldn't appreciate Bitches Brew.

I think "Agharta" would appeal to many of Our Kind also. And since we're talking Miles here,one of my "stranded on a desert island" albums is "In a Silent Way". It's in my cd player almost all the time. One of those palette cleanser type listening experiences.

As we know, Jerry liked jazz. Just got Vol 3 of Garcia Live series: Legion of Mary which has jazz inspired tracks like "Freedom Jazz Dance," "Wondering Why" and the Donnie Hathaway penned "Valdez in the Country".

I attribute my love and appreciation of GD music to having been exposed to GD and jazz at the same time during my teens. Gotta love public radio, thanks WVSP!

Not unlike the Grateful Dead at their spaciest, Bitches Brew is an acquired taste for many. A listener has to learn to let go and ride the music. I would suggest "In a Silent Way" and "Jack Johnson" be explored as the softer and harder edge respectively from that era.

"Agharta" was such a jam rich performance that only a live album could be. It was recorded in Osaka Japan on the afternoon of February 1, 1975.

Wiki describes "Agharta" as a “more aggressive and dynamic style than the atmospheric sound of Davis' previous electric albums. Its music eschews melody and harmony, and is instead characterized by a combination of riffs, crossing poly-rhythms, and funk grooves for soloists to improvise throughout.”

Extended live jams were not the stuff of critics’ dreams. The New York Times wrote that it was “ marred by long stretches of sloppy, one-chord jams and disjointed sounds”.

Well, that’s one way of hearing it. Later reviews were more positive. (A pattern often applied to Miles by critics a bit slow on the uptake when faced with the cutting edge of music.)

Later in the evening of February 1st, the band recorded the materiel that was to be released as the album "Pangea". Miles was sick and in pain for the two shows and wasn’t playing as much trumpet by the second show. However, we are treated to some fantastic guitar playing from Pete Cosey, ably supported by Reggie Lucas.

Miles Davis – composition, organ, trumpet
Sonny Fortune – alto saxophone, flute, soprano saxophone
Reggie Lucas – guitar
Pete Cosey – guitar, percussion, synthesizer
Michael Henderson – bass
Al Foster – drums
James Mtume – congas, percussion, rhythm box, water drum

"Prelude, Part I" Agharta:

phpBB [video]

Pangea:

phpBB [video]

Tone Weaver

Postby Tone Weaver » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Miles fans should like this article.

The Electric Surge of Miles Davis

Between 1968 and ’75, he plugged into the musical zeitgeist and opened his music to distortion and groove-based repetition, either transcending or repudiating his roots in acoustic jazz.

...Think about Miles Davis, try to hold him in your head for a minute, and you experience a kind of galvanic squiggle across the imagination, like the fingertip signature of some higher-voltage being. The sounds and images will not stay still, extremes of cool alternating with zaps of profane energy. The immaculate apprentice on Charlie Parker’s bandstand in the 1940s segues into the withered extraterrestrial of his 1980s comeback. And the mystical mood engineer of 1959’s Kind of Blue (cleaned up after junkiedom, with John Coltrane at his side) evaporates before the scowling noise addict of the mid-1970s, leaning on the keys of an organ with a misanthropic elbow. “I have to change,” Miles once said. “It’s like a curse.”

….while he was plugged in, while he was sizzling, he opened strange doors that—to use a line from another mutant, David Bowie—we’ll never close again.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... urce=atltw

Boxorain

Postby Boxorain » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:53 pm

I certainly do! Probably why I lean towards RatDog with GD material
~ Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men ~

Tone Weaver

Postby Tone Weaver » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Boxorain wrote:I certainly do! Probably why I lean towards RatDog with GD material

When Miles shared billing with the Dead at the Fillmore West, he chatted with Jerry and Phil about jazz. He was impressed they were such big fans of him and other jazz legends.

Back when Weir first recruited Rob Wasserman for bass, he began attracting pros with jazz chops and sensibilities. I love it when Bob or Phil take us into the modal jazz realm with Milestones and other total group improv outings.

Return to “Music Talk”