Govt Mule Island Exodus

Topics related to the world of music outside the sphere of the Grateful Dead
SunshineSue

Govt Mule Island Exodus

Postby SunshineSue » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:18 am

I just made reservations for Govt Mule's Island Exodus in January, I can't wait!! Five nights of shows from Mule/ScoMule, Jackie Greene Band, and Madeski, Martin & Wood, all on the beach!! Anyone else from the Nation going?? :dance

http://www.islandexodus.com/

NobleGlass

Re: Govt Mule Island Exodus

Postby NobleGlass » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:33 pm

Thinking about doing Panic in La playa, but secretly hoping for Ratdog in Jamaica!

Denver Man

Postby Denver Man » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:00 pm

NobleGlass wrote:Thinking about doing Panic in La playa, but secretly hoping for Ratdog in Jamaica!

I was thinking about that too but it is sold out now.
I went walking out last summer
Trying to find a breath of air
I went walking on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there

SunshineSue

Postby SunshineSue » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:45 pm

This is coming up fast, we just got the final information and schedules tonight. Thought I'd check one more time for any Nation members that might be there. I'm looking forward to sun and music! :sunshine

Show schedule:

Thursday January 14: 9:00 pm Madeski, Martin & Wood

Friday January 15: 8:30pm Gov’t Mule with special guest John Scofield

Saturday January 16: 2:30pm The Matt Abts & Friends Drum Clinic
7:45pm Jackie Greene Band
9:00pm Gov’t Mule with special guest John Scofield

Sunday January 17: 8:00pm Warren Haynes
11:00pm Jackie Greene Band & Guests

Monday January 18: 4:00pm Jackie Greene Band
8:30pm Gov’t Mule

Emvibe

Postby Emvibe » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Music in the sun sounds so good right about now. Have a blast!!! Tell us all about it when you come back!! And snap a few breathtaking pictures for us!!! :sunshine
Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own

AaronK

Postby AaronK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Next year, after I win powerball....

SunshineSue

Postby SunshineSue » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:57 am

What an incredible experience this was, much more intimate and user-friendly than Paradise Waits! Given it was 500 people compared to 2500, that's to be expected, I guess. Still, it was just so much better logistically in every way, from rooms to food to transportation to staff to reefs. I absolutely loved every single second of it! The stage was at the one end of the beach, perpendicular to the water. To accommodate everyone, they had a section with chairs on one side of the stage, standing room on the other, and the chaise lounge section on the far side, next to the water. There wasn't a bad spot anywhere, it was all close up. I went between the chaise and standing sections. It was amazing to lie back and being able to see and hear the band perfectly, while watching the moon sinking into the water just a few feet away, and hearing the waves between tunes. Heavenly!! They also had bars set up on either side of the audience (with lots of ice water too), never a line, and a post-show BBQ (jerk chicken!) and bonfire every night. The resort and the band thought of all the little details to make it work for everyone. This was their 7th event, and we met several people who had been at all seven and it seemed like the majority had been to more than one. It was a super friendly group, or "FaMuley" as it's known there. Definitely strangers stopping strangers kind of vibe, we met and hung out with some great folks. It was also very cool having the musicians (aside from Warren) hanging out around the resort. I talked briefly with both Jackie and Ron Holloway. John Scofield, one of my better half's longtime heroes and a major reason we went to this, stayed just a couple doors down from us. The highlight of the trip was Dave getting the opportunity to sit by the pool and talk music for about 20 minutes one-on-one with Sco. I got in on the end of the conversation, and even mentioned TN when Phil came up. He's a very warm, soft spoken guy, and told us about seeing his first Dead show, which was the Dead's first show in NYC, at Tompkins Square Park in 1967. Dave was sure grinning and walking on air for hours after that meeting!! :guitarred

There was lots of cheap but high quality local Jamaican herb available everywhere, and smoking was completely open all over the resort. I'd wondered if we would find any, but it found us. Some folks that were there for .moe the days before Mule gave us a bunch they couldn't take back, and then someone else gave us a bunch for rolling for them. It seemed like every single staff member had a side job selling weed. Seriously, the lifeguard/attendant at the pool brought me a clean towel and then just pulled out his tin of buds to offer up for sale, it was a real hoot!! :lol:

The shows were all fantastic, not a weak one in 5 nights of music. There were some Dead tunes every night, including a fabulous Scarlet Begonias by Mule with Jackie sitting in, and then Jackie's band did Fire on the Mountain at sunset the next night with an amazing jam. There was a lot of mixing it up among the musicians. Scofield and Warren joined Madeski, Martin and Wood the first night, Jackie popped in on each of the Mule/ScoMule sets, and Warren sat in with Jackie's band. Ron Holloway played with everyone, adding that wonderful sax sound. He was particularly great on Can't You Hear Me Knocking, which Mule jammed forever, followed up by Bitch. Great covers all around!! I know we're planning on going back next year, if at all possible. Maybe get a Mule run back to back with Ratdog, now that would really be the island run of a lifetime! :sunshine

Scomule

Jackie at breakfast, I couldn't resist!

Mule

Jackie's late afternoon set, which only had about 75% of the full group at it. Even when all 500 people were on the beach, the back of the crowd was still within spitting distance of the stage. Can't beat it!

Emvibe

Postby Emvibe » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:29 pm

So happy to hear you had a wonderful experience from start to finish!!!! Sounds like an awesome time!! 8-)
Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own

Tone Weaver

Postby Tone Weaver » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:27 pm

This video captures the guitars more than the vocals due to close proximity to the stage directly in front of the amps.

But those guitars!!

Let's watch Sco-Mule play Which Way Do We Run:

phpBB [video]

SunshineSue

Postby SunshineSue » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Best cover band around! :listen

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

and not a cover, just a favorite:
phpBB [video]